360° GoPro swivel car mount

User avatar
hailun
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 5:58 pm

good job.camel
Last edited by Phoenix on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: editing previous data for optimising search box results
User avatar
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 am
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

Nice idea, interesting shots. Try to put more weight on both ends of yellow arm...
Last edited by Phoenix on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: editing previous data for optimising search box results
User avatar
bombays
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:05 am

Execellent work.
Last edited by Phoenix on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: editing previous data for optimising search box results
zeemmee
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:41 pm

Amit bhai, You entered the big world of camera stabilizers like smooth cam, glide cam etc.
The first Movie ever done with such setup was rocky, dont forget the Evil dead ghosts, yes they were glide cams :005:
I appreciate your efforts & congratulate you for acheving 2 things:045: ..
1. Appropriate counter weight to balance the go pro.
2. Using the castor wheels instead of a gimball.
You have acheived roll & yaw.

Good Ideas in the big world of DIY well done.What I like is the smoothness acheived in the footage, but the setup has a mind of
its own, you have to manage that.
Now we have to understand that you obviously are intersted to shoot gliding videos in the desert.Believe me even with a
profssional glide cam its not a good idea to it fix on a moving car, its right place,is in your the grip of your hand which
compensates for counterbalancing & keep the camera fixed on the subject. I have recently bought myself a professional camera stabilizer for my Dslr,which is a pain to setup but when you acheive proper weight distribution & balancing its a bliss.

Your setup seems good but you should consider more that one anchor point. Driving on the tarmac is fine with one anchor point, but dont risk it in the desert.
Roll, Pan & Yaw are basically the 3 components represented by the movement of 3 axis, Your setup has no pan at the movement.
For keeping the object in focus you need to control the pan, a simple & cheap way is to use a rubber band.For your case you must use 2 to avoid any unnecessary jerks the camera is recording,i.e from moving left & right.These 2 rubber bands will provide you nesessary focus & keep the camera in the direction you want without the unwanted jerks!. For this you have to do further modifications to accmodate & fix the rubber bands, also you have to consider changing the target easily.
Just an example...



Lastly,do the thinking, calculations & setup before you start the drive, once in the drive stopping frequently will be a obstacle
& disaster for the whole convoy.Once the setup is acheived do your drive with full priorty towards the vehicle & not the recording.
Last edited by Phoenix on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: editing previous data for optimising search box results
User avatar
CAMEL
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:15 pm

zeemmee;21438 wrote:Amit bhai, You entered the big world of camera stabilizers like smooth cam, glide cam etc.
The first Movie ever done with such setup was rocky, dont forget the Evil dead ghosts, yes they were glide cams :005:
I appreciate your efforts & congratulate you for acheving 2 things:045: ..
1. Appropriate counter weight to balance the go pro.
2. Using the castor wheels instead of a gimball.
You have acheived roll & yaw.

Good Ideas in the big world of DIY well done.What I like is the smoothness acheived in the footage, but the setup has a mind of
its own, you have to manage that.
Now we have to understand that you obviously are intersted to shoot gliding videos in the desert.Believe me even with a
profssional glide cam its not a good idea to it fix on a moving car, its right place,is in your the grip of your hand which
compensates for counterbalancing & keep the camera fixed on the subject. I have recently bought myself a professional camera stabilizer for my Dslr,which is a pain to setup but when you acheive proper weight distribution & balancing its a bliss.

Your setup seems good but you should consider more that one anchor point. Driving on the tarmac is fine with one anchor point, but dont risk it in the desert.
Roll, Pan & Yaw are basically the 3 components represented by the movement of 3 axis, Your setup has no pan at the movement.
For keeping the object in focus you need to control the pan, a simple & cheap way is to use a rubber band.For your case you must use 2 to avoid any unnecessary jerks the camera is recording,i.e from moving left & right.These 2 rubber bands will provide you nesessary focus & keep the camera in the direction you want without the unwanted jerks!. For this you have to do further modifications to accmodate & fix the rubber bands, also you have to consider changing the target easily.
Just an example...



Lastly,do the thinking, calculations & setup before you start the drive, once in the drive stopping frequently will be a obstacle
& disaster for the whole convoy.Once the setup is acheived do your drive with full priorty towards the vehicle & not the recording.

WOW....Thank you so much.....Quite a exhaustive explanation to what I've done!!!! Frankly, I wasn't thinking so much in the technical aspect of photography cause i don't know anything about photography.....Thats why i bought a GoPro and not a D-SLR, Just mount it and hope to get a good shot!!! Of-course editing could add to the magic...but again I am still a newbee at editing!!

The only reason i did this is because i was kinda bored of the static mount and would get 3 hrs of footage in the same angle and getting some exciting footage for editing was difficult...

Really appreciate your explanation, and hope to learn more from you....really like the rubber band idea, will try to incorporate it!!


About the mount.....I am not too worried....I have seen single suction cups holding a flag, i hope it can hold this setup.....And yes, i am in the desert because driving is my passion.....this is just a add on!!!
Last edited by Phoenix on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: editing previous data for optimising search box results
Paul
Advance
Advance
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: Dubai

Hi

Good job. I like it.

i think 2 small plastic or thin metal sheets acting as fins would help.

One to direct the camera forward and one to keep it level. This would tend to keep pointing it in the same direction, but still allow the movement you have at the moment.

Movable fins would be great. If you want to point rear wards, just move then to the cameras end.

regards
Paul
Last edited by Phoenix on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: editing previous data for optimising search box results
Paul
Advance
Advance
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: Dubai

Hi
Not sure from your video, if the camera moves too much, can it hit your car?
Small screws or pins in the wheel could limit the max movement to prevent damage.

Regards
Paul
Last edited by Phoenix on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: editing previous data for optimising search box results
User avatar
CAMEL
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:15 pm

pwood;21440 wrote:
i think 2 small plastic or thin metal sheets acting as fins would help.

One to direct the camera forward and one to keep it level. This would tend to keep pointing it in the same direction, but still allow the movement you have at the moment.

Movable fins would be great. If you want to point rear wards, just move then to the cameras end.
CAMEL;21423 wrote: Any ideas will be appreciated!!:060: Was thinking of adding some fins at the back to control the movement....

Thanks Paul!!

Was thinking of exactly the same thing and done it....Now works perfectly!!! In keeping with the NO BUYING ANYTHING/Go GREEN concept, Used one of Neha's empty Face Wash container!!!
Last edited by Phoenix on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: editing previous data for optimising search box results
User avatar
Riazj
Intermediate
Intermediate
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:23 am

Apricot, good choice!:011:
Last edited by Phoenix on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: editing previous data for optimising search box results
User avatar
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 am
Location: Bratislava, Slovakia
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Contact:

CAMEL;21439 wrote: The only reason i did this is because i was kinda bored of the static mount and would get 3 hrs of footage in the same angle and getting some exciting footage for editing was difficult...
This is the point, to have footage from the whole area and not statically pointing front or rear. We have enough videos in the club and it is starting to be boring to watch them.

This is something new, which can bring some other view to our driving, e.g. catching all the convoy and additionally the whole scenery.
Last edited by Phoenix on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: editing previous data for optimising search box results
Post Reply