Page 1 of 1

Getting there trip report

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2026 1:08 am
by Rajalingam
GETTING THERE – Trip Report
After almost a year away from the sand, I was really excited to join the Chicken II drive. It was a 10‑car convoy and I came prepared with two radios, flag, rope, compressor, hi‑lift jack and the usual recovery gear. The only thing I missed was my main pressure gauge, which made deflation tricky—the small dial on the backup gauge was almost unreadable below 20 PSI. After some struggle, I finally got the tires down and joined Carlos to start the drive.

Warm‑up & Convoy Switch
Within a few minutes, I found myself doing repeated attempts to clear small obstacles. Carlos immediately sensed that I hadn’t driven for a long time and suggested that I join another convoy. I agreed and getting there to "Getting there".

Convoy Highlights
The getting there convoy had an interesting mix of cars, including a Ford truck and a Cybertruck. Watching them climb was impressive—the power they have is enormous, and they went up every ascent with ease. At the same time, it was clear how challenging straight crests and drops can be for long trucks; the wheelbase really shows its limits there.

Once the drive settled, the flow was smooth and enjoyable. I had a few moments where I needed multiple attempts, but managed to self‑recover with the support around me—kudos to the team.

The 4‑Low Moment
At one point, I got properly stuck and almost lost confidence that I could make it out. That’s when Mr. Al Shamsi stepped in with a lifeline:
“Try 4‑Low, 3rd gear.”
The car climbed out like butter. It was my first time using 4‑Low in the dunes, and I was honestly surprised by the power it delivered.

Wrap‑Up
The rest of the drive went smoothly and the entire convoy exited safely before inflating tires.

A big thank you to the lead, sweep, and support team. Special appreciation to the Marshal, who guided us through challenging crossovers, multiple dunes, straight crests, side sloping, zigzag lines, benching, steep drops—he made it all feel easy. And as always, no words are enough for Mr. Al Shamsi for his training and guidance throughout the drive.
Image

Image

Image
Image