CM drive - Secret driving skills

TarrynLush

Having very little experience driving in sand, the CM drive this past weekend was a great learning experience.
Most of my off road driving experience has been in wet, rocky mountainous terrain, requiring slow and steady driving. After getting stuck on the very first big dune I needed assistance from the get go!
Luckily I had a founding member come to my rescue, and after a little bit of fuse box tweaking I was on my way again…with the wisest words I heard all day…Drive it like you stole it!!

I have to thank our lady marshal (girl power) that supported me when I got myself into a few sticky situations.

I also have to thank my fellow newbie driver, Ely for introducing me to this amazing group of people. All her guidance over the past couple of weeks has been invaluable. I would not have been on this drive if it wasn’t for Ely!

Lastly I’d like to thank the founding members, all the marshals and intermediate drivers for giving up your Saturday morning to support newbie drivers like myself. It is greatly appreciated.

Thank you to everyone for a great experience.
See you on the next newbie drive 😃

Kind regards,
Tarryn Lush aka Tarryn Lush 😂

Dunia

Hello everyone,

First, sorry for the late trip report. I wasn't aware we had to write one 🙈 I thought trip reports were like the Club's "newsletter" sort of thing written by the OG Almosters.

I can't express my gratitude enough to the founding members of this Club. The fact that this Club is a non-profit is incredible. To see people from all backgrounds and ages sharing the same passion and who are just sincerely enjoying themselves and sincerely sharing that passion with others is just beautiful. It's not easy to witness that these days especially living in a big city.

Really grateful to have found Almost 4x4 through Sumaiya who I met through Rashid by chance at his garage while I was on my hunt for my first offroad car.

9/9/2023 will always be special to me because I waited for my first drive with Almost since October 2022! I was supposed to join the 19/10/2022 drive with my brother's GMC sierra as I did not have my own 4x4 back then. Waited a month for the CM drive to happen and the night before the drive, my brother surprised the family by coming back home 🤦🏽‍♀️ and my whole plan of stealing his car for the drive was ruined. So then I waited and waited... till finally alhamdulillah 9/9/23 and the best part is in my own car, my Xterra 😍

I love that we were first introduced to the driving basics in theory and that Rapailo even took the time to explain the essential tools required. The toy cars for visuals made all the difference. My weakness is breaking at the top of the dune (because I can't see what's infront) so having him explain visually when/where to stop when climbing really helped me understand better.

The best advise I got that day that took my drive to the next level is "ignore your engine sound". I have that problem when driving, I feel like it's too much for my car so I stop accelerating and end up stuck. So that advise was pure gold for me that day. Thank you Rashid!

And Bu Salem, thank you! For this whole club and community. And more than that, thank you for telling me that my tyres are good 😂 because I was planning to change them - you saved me alot of money lol.

I really enjoyed the drive and the Club's energy and values overall. So grateful to be part of it and definitely looking forward to progressing and being a better offroader. Also looking forward to that gold plated triangle 😆🙃

That's it for now. See you guys again soon 🫡

From Salalah 🌴🇴🇲
Dunia

sandjose

Dear Team,

Let me start with a thank you note. The CM drive was amazing, all kudos to the Shamsi, Rapailo, the Marshals and all the seniors who helped us. To name a few, Rashed, Paddy, and the awesome people from whom I borrowed the walkie talkie and compressor ;D

Initially I never knew I would be allowed to drive, considering I was short with the necessary tools and a proper car. But I came prepared to beg the team to let me drive with them :D

Out of everything, I understood the most is not to follow too much off-roading videos until you are ready to understand what exactly you are doing :D For this you have to either join some 4x4 courses or join this awesome community.

I had my doubts when we stepped into the sand, that I’ll break something major, get stuck and eventually being pulled all the way to a recovery van :D But to my surprise the trail was well prepared and the drive was very well coordinated. Most of the times I felt we are being observed, the convoy is well checked, which gave me more confidence.

Quoting Shamsi, “You will realize what you don’t need on your car after your first CM drive”, for me the first thing is my car bumper. I broke my front and rear bumper. Even though I felt a little embarrassed, I got the right help at the right times, even with pulling out the bumper which was rubbing against the tires, to duct taping the broken pieces :D

As a newbie I had so much of adventures and fun throttles. Especially when I nosed down my car right after a climb. I always had the fear of the other side of the dune. This drive helped me a better driver than yesterday.

I’m not sure the if seniors enjoyed the drive, but I’m pretty confident each one of us (newbies) enjoyed it to the core 8-)

The way forward is clear for me. It just not only becoming a better off-roader, but also to be a good fellow driver and member. I know I’m with the right group and I choose sand over the BUMPER.

----
Attaching pic of a marshal, observing the convoy.

A󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠dventurous L󠀠eague of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
󠀠󠀠󠀠󠀠