PSI Challenge

ginger
Intermediate
Intermediate

PSI Challenge was an experience that we should all try. To be honest I was a little apprehensive, mainly due to having visions of trying to drive into the desert without deflating at all!

As it turns out we were allowed 15 PSI to drive on, and this meant having to look forward and plan ahead.
Just stopping and restarting on level ground caused problems in some soft-sand areas, and I hate to think what it would have been like with say 20PSI.

So what the challenge really did was to make us think very carefully about keeping momentum, stopping with the help of a downward gradient, travelling up a dune enough to give momentum to climb the next dune, and giving enough distance between cars to be able to restart if necessary. I certainly had to concentrate hard, and was almost disappointed when at Pink Rock we were allowed to deflate fully. However we then shot off to Super Bowl, with all the usual fun, noise and picture-taking that that involves. AlKhatib then lead us back to Al Badayer, but in true style just as we all thought we were going to take the gatch road back, he added a fun climb in for good measure.

Many thanks to all the organisers.
Mark B
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great day, great friends, great fun.

15 Psi. Thank you [MENTION=2]ALKHATIB[/MENTION] for not making it more. Like [MENTION=2551]ginger[/MENTION] saird loss of control. If you did not have the momentum, it was a fight to climb. Distance was hard also. If you got bunched up it was tentative getting going again. Back end was drifting around a lot. Cresting was less controlled, and climbing in soft sand was challenging. One of the last climbs into Pink Rock, I called out "Mark, second round"' then " Mark third round" then someone called out on the radio, " " 4th, 5th....". I called back " yea, I am getting dizzy". Did finally make it. Took a larger circle and gunned it. Overt he top and parked on the lip of Pink Rock Bowl.

Downed the pressure to 8 and after a rest off to Super Bowl. Great drive spending most of the time cutting the tops off of crests. Thought [MENTION=2]ALKHATIB[/MENTION] was going to take us on the flat trail, I was mistaken. He only avoided the other convoys. So many cars out there that day. After 45 minutes watching the " Boys with toys" blowing engine after engine at Super Bowl, off on our way back to the shops. Also thought we were going to take the easy track back, but no. Awesome drive back thru the dunes to the shops.

Thanks again for a great day.

Mark
SINGH
Golden Member
Golden Member

PSI Challenge.....

Soft sand.... 15 psi....BFG tyre.... enough to make you think 10 times more than what you normally do while driving in deserts.....

Phew.... it was indeed a very different type of challenge.... as Ginger & Mark has narrated above.... u need to keep enough distance...look and read the behavior of the car in front of you ... feel how your car is behaving.... plan way ahead ..... That was the beauty of this challenge....

After fighting initially... both me and my car.... what i realized was that i don't have to floor the pedal....as the more i was flooring initially to climb...the more it was digging me in.... so how to maintain a balance between the momentum and the torque which we need to drive/climb with high pressure in the tyres was the main key which we all had learned in this drive.

Second part of the drive was a way smoother and that ended with the another surprise from Khatib when he decided to take tough terrains in a low light conditions.... and that was again an another challenge but the drive has to be ended in that way and i hope all the drivers must have enjoyed that.

Thanks Khatib and all the supporting crew for making us more skillful by putting us to this challenge and for a nice drive too.....
salhinai
Advance
Advance

Hats off to our Marshals for a very interesting drive and making sure all is safe, the trip was the crowning event for a day in the dunes. I like the last minute surprise pulled by our lead marshal to add to the excitement of the day when he deiced to a route change to avoid the mad rush by selecting the high dunes. Thanks to all my fellow drivers for a nice drive. It is always has been and will be a pleasure to be with my Almost4x4 family.
bombays
Intermediate
Intermediate

Apologies for late report.

As Ginger , Mark, Singh and salhinai have covered almost everything. Big thank you to khatib for 15psi. Secondly he was considerate enough not to make it disappointing by taking higher dunes but maintained harmony with smaller but technical dunes. That made us go all across quite well. I was quite alert as Nissan being heavy and i was riding cooper at3 @ 15 psi. Recollected all the training given to us by our senior marshal's during our newbie days. Momentum , Keep Distance and watch out when you stop. I dedicate success of psi challenge to our Founding & Senior Marshals of the club. They have thoroughly trained us to do the same in our newbie days.
Enjoyed every bit of challenge and drive after that. Thank you everyone for making this trip successful.
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

[video=youtube;NBbH8iaqdJc][/video]
adventure motox

Nice Video [MENTION=8718]momo[/MENTION] !
bijubs

the camera man !!!!! [MENTION=8718]momo[/MENTION]... how many cam you fix at at a time ??? excellent shoot , your regular one cam is on vacation ? and the head held one shoots best too.