UAE Rally Championship Round 1

momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

An amazing weekend :thumbsup:. Started with the morning event "Escape to Jais", the afternoon was a new experience for me, long jouney with a night mission. We gathered at the Sharjah Classic Car Museum for a quick briefing then uploaded the provided gps file on our devices to show rally tracks on screen and then hit the road. We received nice T-shirts and Cap, thanks to the rally organizers.

30th January Night session:
Night drive to the check points was in a convoy shape, we driven the rally track and at some parts sand was very dusty and visibility was reduced, but we managed to reach our check points safely. It was not easy to all to catch the rally car numbers in the dark, so we were relaying car numbers by radio. The funny part when I relayed 3 min late a car number on the radio, at the same time @ALKHATIB saw it passing in front of him, he said then "momo how is it possible the car passed by you? It is right now in front of me!" :wut:
The close marshal to me was @Drifter, radio signal was very clear between us, while @shaikh was communicating with me by phone and "whatsapp". I checked then on gps the distance between me and shaikh, it was around 4.5km so I estimate my radio range is less than 4km, probably 3km.
Rally finished, I driven back opposit track direction to Drifter then Shaikh, this last buddy received from organizers a food bags for everyone, so we had a nice dinner meal: Apple, juice, water, patisseries, salad and a chicken with rice.

We hit the asphalt to the petrol station and then camped. We were all tired and thinking to have an early sleep while @Melfi told us that she wrote on the timing sheet Car no.6 and it seems that this car never participated the rally on that night. Followed by this, a laugh, which was the beginning of a "smartphone camp" where everyone showing to the others funny videos. Never mind, we still social poeple. :cheerful:
Our sleep night was very short so most of us slept inside cars. It was very cool to wake up in the early morning and turn on engine and voila, heater :cool:

31st January Morning session:
In the morning we passed by the petrol station again, then drove to a meeting point on road. We met @Arminjune @Mazaaj and @Arun Pandyat (sorry if I forgot someone). When I realized that it is very useful to have the laptop with you on such events as you may need to upload and exchange tracks and maps between your buddies. The team I was in, were covering "Monument" track, the same track for all sessions. Before rally start we had a morning chitchat at the track starting point, where @Drifter given us tasty sweet cakes. The morning rally tracking was similar to the previous night except that you are enjoying the desert view and cars are visible from distance. I had to deal with the camel farm just behind my check points. As the farmer released his camels right before the rally start and they were all over the track. I had to use my metal whistle for the first time, to give him warning sign :022: It was almost efficient except that he was so slow to move them away so I had to move with my car and report to him the situation. Everything in order.

31st January Afternoon session:
Similar to the morning, except that the camels where on track without the farmer, so I did his job for a while... I learned techniques how to lead camels convoy... From the back... yes I was driving very slowly behind them and pushed them away. I hope I didn't scared them, it was either they get scared or hit by a rally car. Then I had to block the way for the remaining two camels while a rally car passed by. :omg: It was stressful but fun and I am happy of my performance. :048:

Participating in such events is great. For me I learned to be more patient and to focus on things I never thought of before. You can even sort out the weak points of slow rally drivers on the same spot you are watching, or watching the handling of a long wheel base car VS short wheel base cars. Enhancing your radio communication skills for such events. And have a great :tan: :033:

Last but not least, I post for you here below a video (17 min) of me driving on the rally track to reach my check point. We did this drive many times during the three sessions and this was for me the coolest part ever :thumbsup: @alshamsi_m 33PSI all the time [MENTION=1633]Yoghybear[/MENTION] I wished to see you performing on the rally track.

Regards to all

[video=youtube;_NqLNGZ8elo][/video]