Air Filters & Snorkels

Lapsis

Hello one and all,

I am becoming aware that I need to take more care of my (currently stock) JL's air intake.

After each drive I am finding sand in the intake box, which I am sure is not unusual. Also the stock MOPAR filter obviously becomes quite dusty. To date, after each drive, I open the intake box, remove the filter, bang it off to get any loose sand and dust off it, vacuum it, and then I vacuum the inside of the box too, to remove any sand in there.

So I suppose I have two questions:

(1) Does a snorkel actually reduce the sand and dust entering the intake box or not? I appreciate that the stock intake is lower down, and that sand and dust is getting sucked/blown up into the engine bay from underneath during a drive, but although a snorkel is higher up it is also just a big forward-facing scoop. Have any of you had decisive before and after experiences?

(2) Should I substitute the stock air filter for a K&N 'washable' filter, or something else, which I can more effectively clean after drives?

Any experiences and advice would be much appreciated!

(Sorry Admin, should this have been in 'Boys With Toys'?)

Lapsis.
Phoenix
Crew
Crew

This is the correct subforum to discuss the technical topics.

I will put my 2 cents, keep the filter itself as stock as possible. that is the best for Jeeps in the sand. many marshals who drive jeeps have kept the air filter stock.
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Lapsis

Thank you very much for your reply @Phoenix.

You have confirmed my instinct which was not to change it. I will continue with what seems like good 'housekeeping' and I will of course carry out the regular servicing.

Hopefully see you next weekend when I'm planning to collect some more dust! cool

Lapsis.