All Lead Xll

Petr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thanks to my great wife who registered me to this trip while I was in the air between Dubai and Jeddah, following tightly my instructions how to do it super fast to win the bloodbath of Intermediate enrollments, I was able to join today.

All Leads is a special drive for intermediates, where they can practice their leading skills and be a marshal of the convoy for a portion of the drive.

@Rashidjass prepared carefully the waypoints and we drew them from a sack together with our sequence number. @Tomvanhouten was "lucky" to get the 1st place. Rashid explained that each of us will lead for 15 minutes, followed by @SINGH as the oversighting marshall and the rest of the convoy, and drive us between the starting and ending coordinates.

The playground was a southern part of Sweihan deserts, with smaller to mid-sized dunes, and a few large ones. Each drive was a bit different, as a result of the function of the current driving area on one side, and the experience and temper of the lead driver on the other one. There was no "over-excitement" that can be a dangerous component of such drives, we had only seasoned drivers and everyone did a great job. @Sorin's track was super flowing, a great flow was achieved by @CARLOSS as well. The most technically challenging track was carved by @David. I was sorry that he couldn't finish his lead due to a temporary car issues, but I would bet it will not take much time and we will have more opportunities to lead his tracks regularly soon ;-)

Many thanks to @Rashidjass for the careful prepration, @SINGH for being the marshall of the drive, @orlantsev, @presa, @Solmaz and @Mahmoodyasin for the support.
David
Intermediate
Intermediate

Lets start from the end, thanking the 2 advanced drivers that joined us in Remah, supporting Marshalls Solmaz, Mabubaker and their copilots Agalon and Presa (great to see them both after a very long time), our shared 2nd lead Singh for keeping a close eye on us and Rashid for putting together a magnificent drive, a lot of planning went into it and it showed.

The drive, my turn was 2nd, same as with my 1st All Lead, to be honest I did not finish the drive happy, I got lucky and my turn was in an area with nice big dunes but when I was 6min to finish my lead, and more annoyingly about to crest a high dune, I got a warning sign on the dashboard and lost engine power, luckily I managed to change the line and cross a bit lower. Fear took over as something similar had happened before and kept on repeating itself when going above 3000rpm, this time just switch off the car, clean the air intake sensor and sorted ... ???. I had 6min left as explained but decided to go at the back of the convoy for safety reasons, scary when you lose power at the wrong time and place and I wanted to check all good with the car. No issues afterwards and even got those minutes "back" at the end but as said bitter taste as the fun and momentum gone.

Car due for servicing this week so I will ask them to check that error message to see what of the 2 possible TE standard responses I get, the one non-related that does not make much sense or the all good nothing wrong.

My fellow intermediates taking part in the drive, very well done to all of them, above anything else the drive was fun and safe which is the main priority always, different driving styles as expected but I think a very good performance overall in a gorgeous area. Always a pleasure to share time in the sand with you guys.

See you on the sand soon.
Sorin
media
media

Hi everyone,

As my friends said above, it was a great drive and in an area I really like because of the pristine and sharp dunes. Many thanks to the organizer Rashid and supporting Marshals and Advanced drivers.

The leading inters set a very good pace and in moments like these I appreciate very much having the Almost4x4 school in our driving style, fun and safe at the same time.

I was the last one to take the lead and I liked that it was close to sunset and it made reading the dunes a bit easier. I generally don’t like to lead but when the chance comes I try not to disappoint the drivers behind me. Time flies very fast when you’re leading and as you get in the zone it becomes addictive, when the time is up there is a bit of sadness but also a sigh of relief that everything went well.

We finished after sunset in a beautiful twilight scene with everyone in the drive happy and wanting more.

Once again thanks to the Marshals for putting up with our leads today, your efforts and lessons made us much better drivers.
I approve this message ⬆️
Tomvanhouten
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello everyone,

I was looking forward to this event, as driving in the lead position is my favorite. Making your own decisions, although not always correct or at times even ambitious, for me it is the way to learn so much more. And yes, very convinced that I made a lot of wrong decisions, but hey, we are here to learn.

In that perspective, a big thanks to all the marshals making this possible as a learning experience!

I had to start as the first driver, in a terrain not very familiar with, but I loved every second of it. The 15 minutes given flew away and wanted more, but more to come from my teammates!
In general, I believe everyone played safe and was aware of the limitations they might face.

What I found really nice to see, is the difference in leading style; one goes for higher dunes and challenging climbs and another goes for the technical long stretches of crests and quick turns.

I had a lovely afternoon in a beautiful area, hopefully soon again!

Tom
CARLOSS
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello everyone!

This is one of those especial drives you would not like to miss. Actually, I did not even want to check on past drive reports and videos as I wanted to have my first All Lead drive experience completely “virgin”. Not polluted. redbullsmiley

The selected playground was Rimah, never been there before now realized that @Solmaz took us there during the Long Scout drive (>150km full day) finishing in Remah, it was a beautiful place plenty of small, medium and big dunes pretty much untouched. Some bushy areas but an outstanding place overall…I was under the impression that we could have done whatever level there.

Company was excellent, as usual.@Rashidjass organizing (big thanks thumbsup ), @SINGH keeping an eye on the leading cars, @Mabubaker and @presa , @Solmaz and @Agalon in pairs watching us from the distance, and Mr. Everywhere Rashid showing up from nowhere watching us in every single direction. And I don’t want to forget our two interm @orlantsev and@Mahmoodyasin also taking care of us.

Some of my mates did not lead (less than 10) and were positioned in a safe place within the convoy but some of us had the privilege of leading for 15 min…as some said, 15 min flies when you are having fun! blank

Now the experience: I was in 5th position and enjoy every single minute regardless of the leading car. @Tomvanhouten did the first shift with super nice flow and beautiful lines, high level (did not surprise me, he is a fantastic driver cool ). After that it was @David turn, and he did very fast pace and sharp lines giving all FJs a hard time, approaching like a bullet all biggest dunes for side-cresting (did not surprise me either, he is a "sandmaster" :ninja: ). Then it was @Rathica call with beautiful track selection and good lines but unfortunately facing some mechanical issues (loss of power) which for sure it did not help her but still she delivered perfectly fine thumbsup . @Petr came up just before me. Never drove with him on private basis so I did not know what to expect and he was superb, with sharp lines like a knife, constant and fast flow, no hesitation. Amazing lead thumbsup . I skip myself on purpose and come to @Sorin , the last leading car. I know him very well, but I did not see him leading too much and don’t understand why zomg : He did a very fast pace, beautiful flow with surgical precision side-cresting on every single decent dune…nothing was left untouched under his reign. Unbelievable performance. cool

And now me: I let others to evaluate but I would like to share my feelings. I felt quite comfortable, excited but not over-excited, not nervous at all, and had a lot of fun playing with small-medium size dunes (more technical area in my turn, I believe) trying to “finish them all”, not too much side-cresting but a lot of “surfing” on the tips. I was very happy with my performance and proud of all the learning took from Almost. ORLY

Sorry for my long-trip report and thanks to All and the Club for making us better drivers. It is time for the pay-off, I guess.

See you soon
Carlos
Last edited by CARLOSS on Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mabubaker
Marshal
Marshal

A great day with intermediates. The best part is that inters showed hi sense of responsiblity especially when they are in the leading position.
The 10- intermediates got the opportunity to a closer look at the ALL LEAD (TM) have a nice day

The area is relatively new (Hello Sonic drive riders pacman) which have added a greater sense to imagination from leaders..

Well done @Rashidjass for such a great plan. @SINGH for ensuring saftey of the convoy. @Solmaz and @Agalon for the great support, @presa for the great company and support.

@Mahmoodyasin and @orlantsev for Advanced support.

See you in the sand!
M Abubaker
orlantsev
Advance
Advance

Hello all,

I have not been in the desert for almost a month, so when day came, I left home very early to enjoy a peaceful drive to the meeting point. Arrived early, but Tom was already there. Weather is pleasant enough that you can actually have a conversation not on the radio in early afternoon.

@Rashidjass distributed the coordinates and priority was given to intermediates with more than 10 drives. I also got a coordinate as 7th in sequence.

It was great lead. Initially, I thought it would be very relaxed. I almost felt victim to this. As soon as we started I played dangerously trying to avoid second try and pushed the car hard on the slope against gravity...very wrong. That episode was like a good strong coffee warning me of the level set by the leading car.

Unfortunately, couple of mechanical problems broke what otherwise was a very nice flow. Each driver was allocated 15 minutes of drive time, but due to interruptions by the time the 6th car finished the sun already set.

I was not anywhere near my start point and @Rashidjass asked me just to take the convoy to the start point without crossing the chain of dunes in the opposite direction. That short drive meant always approaching the crest from a hard side. Due to time and approaching darkness it was rather repetitive crest after crest for me until we go to the starting point with a headlights already on.

It was very enjoyable day. I even had a surprise bonus - for the last many month I had some strange whistle coming from somewhere near driver's side. Nothing worked. However, after this drive the noise can be barely heard. The stupid thing probably just fell of somewhere...drives are so much quieter now.
Petr
Intermediate
Intermediate

Great review of everyone's performance, thanks Carlos!
CARLOSS wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:15 pm Hello everyone!

This is one of those especial drives you would not like to miss. Actually, I did not even want to check on past drive reports and videos as I wanted to have my first All Lead drive experience completely “virgin”. Not polluted. redbullsmiley

The selected playground was Rimah, never been there before now realized that @Solmaz took us there during the Long Scout drive (>150km full day) finishing in Remah, it was a beautiful place plenty of small, medium and big dunes pretty much untouched. Some bushy areas but an outstanding place overall…I was under the impression that we could have done whatever level there.

Company was excellent, as usual.@Rashidjass organizing (big thanks thumbsup ), @SINGH keeping an eye on the leading cars, @Mabubaker and @presa , @Solmaz and @Agalon in pairs watching us from the distance, and Mr. Everywhere Rashid showing up from nowhere watching us in every single direction. And I don’t want to forget our two interm @orlantsev and@Mahmoodyasin also taking care of us.

Some of my mates did not lead (less than 10) and were positioned in a safe place within the convoy but some of us had the privilege of leading for 15 min…as some said, 15 min flies when you are having fun! blank

Now the experience: I was in 5th position and enjoy every single minute regardless of the leading car. @Tomvanhouten did the first shift with super nice flow and beautiful lines, high level (did not surprise me, he is a fantastic driver cool ). After that it was @David turn, and he did very fast pace and sharp lines giving all FJs a hard time, approaching like a bullet all biggest dunes for side-cresting (did not surprise me either, he is a "sandmaster" :ninja: ). Then it was @Rathica call with beautiful track selection and good lines but unfortunately facing some mechanical issues (lost of power) which for sure it did not help her but still she delivered perfectly fine thumbsup . @Petr came up just before me. Never drove with him on private basis so I did not know what to expect and he was superb, with sharp lines like a knife, constant and fast flow, no hesitation. Amazing lead thumbsup . I skip myself on purpose and come to @Sorin , the last leading car. I know him very well, but I did not see him leading too much and don’t understand why zomg : He did a very fast pace, beautiful flow with surgical precision side-cresting on every single decent dune…nothing was left untouched under his reign. Unbelievable performance. cool

And now me: I let others to evaluate but I would like to share my feelings. I felt quite comfortable, excited but not over-excited, not nervous at all, and had a lot of fun playing with small-medium size dunes (more technical area in my turn, I believe) trying to “finish them all”, not too much side-cresting but a lot of “surfing” on the tips. I was very happy with my performance and proud of all the learning took from Almost. ORLY

Sorry for my long-trip report and thanks to All and the Club for making us better drivers. It is time for the pay-off, I guess.

See you soon
Carlos