Bear Hunt

alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

[quote=fida;41691]Sorry bu Salem, by mistake I pressed thumb down. Typical iphone error. You know I don't mean it.[/quote]

It is ok ... and even if you meant it ... I respect your opinion
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
fida
Advance
Advance

[quote=alshamsi_m;41694]It is ok ... and even if you meant it ... I respect your opinion[/quote]

If i meant it then I will not apology. I will stick to my opinion. ;-)
Yoghybear
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, it was indeed a very nice morning with good people, nice meeting you all guys.
Sweihan usually is not easy....so after 3 days of wind you can imagine.....:028:
As mentioned by @ginger , the edge of the crests were like razor blades....practically like putting a jar of honey in front of the bear....:008:
The group config was quite abnormal, 5 experienced Adv drivers, 1 experienced Int driver and 3 fresh Int drivers....challenging for everybody.
Sorry for @Paul and @Hockey, both have to leave earlier, wish to drive with you guys again very soon, always nice having you around!!
Sorry also for @momo, your accident happened during the very last crest, a few tens meters from the gatch road.....unfortunately this things are part of the game and usually happens at the end of the trip when drivers are tired and a sort of relaxing mood takes over the concentration.
Hope the car can be fixed in no time, and no worries, we went through the same way, anyway, good job.
Very good job also by the other Int drivers, @ginger @SINGH @Mark B it was not easy for you, but you did it. :thumbsup:

Thanks also to @Orsomucca for sharing the cockpit of Tornado, nice and interesting chitchatting with you all time long :060:
@Arminjune, guess your biceps are growing more and more :grin:

Special thanks to @fida for being my second lead, even if you are rusty you are always at the top, thanks a lot to @Mazaaji for the great support and a very special thanks to @alshamsi_m , Bu Salem...always healthy having you around :060:
Did I missed someone.....yes, @Zorro .... I m sure you can make it, you know what I mean, but be careful!!!

Last but not least, since nobody was able to catch the bear the sequel will continue....adv drivers get ready.
See you soon and take care.
Yoghy

PS @Melfi ... you are our sister :015::005:
Zorro
Advance
Advance

Good evening All,

So, we had 5 advance and 4 intermediate, something you don’t see often, and something those 4 intermediates should be happy about, as they had a bear to hunt just for them selves.

Bear, which they did not catch….maybe next time, or maybe not :-P as I hear the bear is preparing his horse to run even faster! ;-) you may have lost your chance to make a furry carpet for your living room out of him!! Anyway, good driving guys.

As Armin noted, our beloved bear never disappoints, his love for punctuality and short break makes everything more fun.

Jeeps on Friday’s drive got their revenges on 2 of our drivers and 1 future jeeper. 1st with a sick young passenger, 2nd with a not so young dizzy driver and 3rd where the JK tried to stab the driver’s right foot with the pedals…..Not good!! But that’s probably yet another Jeep thing I guess. Hope everyone feels better now.

Paul, hope you can get the vomit smell off your JK

Fida, if you didn’t mention you didn’t drive for 2 months, I wouldn’t notice, no one would. Ur awesome driver.

Unfortunately, due to a distraction/being tired/relaxed/and 1,000 more reasons we had a small incident at the very last crest. Unfortunately it can happen, hope it’s nothing serious – Remember keep 100% concentration nonstop, the lead car (intentionally or not) may come across tricky spots at anytime.

Thanks Yoghy for the hunt, and all for the nice morning out. Swehian was/is awesome!

Last but not least, after failing with the hunt, we got back to civilisation to hunt down some tasty, and very healthy fried chicken @ Swehian Hut :-D ….consolation prize

See you all soon!
Take care
Mark B
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=momo;41680]Hearing @Mazaaj saying on the radio "Hunt the bear! Hunt the bear" was very clear message but the consequences were to take into consideration as the bear took us to the biggest bowls of Sweihan where RPM was hitting the red color, engines screaming and pedal to the floor challenging the RPM cut-off! What a day full of action! It is amazing to drive with you guys, as stated by @ginger, we must drive there more often and it is not that far..

I set 3 video cameras on my car thanks to @Mazaaj who provided me 2 extra GoPro camera at the club anniversary event, camera that are still with me :011:. But as I found good use for them, I think he didn't regret that he borrowed them to me. And at this drive I tried new camera angle which is fixing the camera on the side pointing it in such way it gives you same view as you look from the window.. so let's see how it will be on the video.

All the way through the dunes chain was nice and challenging for the driver and engine, till we reached the gatch road, that nasty dunes with a little rocks on it and hard ground at the bottom. @Mark B was still at bottom, so when I did the side crest I had only two options:

1) Make a union between Jeep and FJ Cruiser which I guess will start a long hot debate :eagerness:
2) I floor it and make wider arch and reach the hard ground with higher momentum and make less damages.

Tic tac tic tac, on a milliseconds scale I had to think about my jeepers buddies so I took option 2... my car went all the way down and near the ground I hit fully the breaks (lucky I deactivated the ABS earlier) the hit was strong enough to change my right tire alignment...
When I drove my car on the gatch road, my steering was pointing 45degree to the left while the car was driving straight, it is normal result that left tire needs to balance the non-aligned right tire to keep going straight... The result on road was bad... my both front tires overheated a lot from the inner side. I did quickly the calculation, if one of the tires blows out I would need to mount the spare, and if the other one blows out I will be in struggle. So I decided to stop by alignment shop in Al Ain opposite Oman borders ( 24° 15.808'N 55° 46.102'E). They did it for me without advanced tools but good enough to come back to Dubai and that was the cheapest solution (100 AED)... Now as my car lost alignment, the traction, skid control and steering angle sensors lost their factory calibration so they automatically turned off to not endanger the vehicle stability. Thank you again to @alshamsi_m for assisting me after the drive for that issue.
All in all, all my traction system is off, wheels fairly aligned we can't say no to super bowl and buggies show in the after noon at Al Badayer :thumbsup:

Thanks to all being part of this drive and see you next time in the sand,

Regards[/quote]

MOMO.

I thought I saw that big grill of yours in my rear view. Thanks for sacrificing your right front. I am sure that kind of union (between a FJ & JK) would be less desirable.

I heard The Bear say "the crest is not good"' I expected a ditch, not rocks. I picked a line between the two biggest rocks, hammered the breaks in the soft sand then hit the gas when the front tires were on the hard stuff. Guess it was not quick enough. Thanks again for taking the line you did.

Other than that bit of excitement it was a great run. Lots of cresting, lots of bowls. I know the trip was tame for the advanced drivers, but for me a great learning experience.

I find that that with every trip I learn more about myself and my vehicle. The advanced drivers are always there with advice to help one along. [MENTION=1633]Yoghybear[/MENTION] cut a fine track that kept the drive interesting and challenging. I am always amazed how that big Dodge can traverse sharp turns and tight bowls. And climb. Climb like there is no tomorrow.

Hey [MENTION=1788]Paul[/MENTION]. Vinegar mixed with water is good for getting out the stains and smell.

Thanks again all for a fun drive.

Mark
Melfi
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't write reports often :033: but this trip deserves one, if albeit short 'cause I need to work...

WHAT A DRIVE! One of the finest from the @Yoghybear's cave! :like:

My designated driver @alshamsi_m and I got there just in time for the start and went at our (his) own pace but it was beautiful to see how the bear certainly kept everyone on their toes. He was on a mission! :028: I so wished I could have driven, but riding with my brother in Megatron was just as fun, most entertaining with our conversations and certainly much less tiring, allowing me to have the energy to do a little easy private drive in the afternoon.

With @fida, @Paul and @Arminjune around, it was the first time in a long time that it really felt like the "old days", as we "grew up" together. A bit like a class reunion.
And the latest batch of drivers were the cherry on top. What a cool day! :051:

A few technical points:
- 4th gear: I also drive in 3rd and 4th gear now, when I used to do 1st and 2nd. But it's something we learn and try after more experience. @momo is still a fresh Intermediate
- Gatch: Momo did check with me beforehand about the correct word, hence the reason why I asked at the Marshals chat. Unfortunately my reply came too late and he had already posted.
- I know all drivers were pretty exhausted, but always please all remember to get out of the "danger zone" and say "all clear" as soon as you are sorted.
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

[MENTION=9155]Mark B[/MENTION] in response to your quote the PSI Challenge post: I did wheel alignment the same hour after I left, in Al Ain city. Then went to Al Badayer in the afternoon, in the night at home I inspected closely the control arms and I found that the joining bearing between the lower arm and the chassis is slightly bent, I am not expert in mechanics so I don't know if that is abnormal or is ok, but when I compared, the other side was perfectly straight... My car is now at garage for service and they are checking meanwhile this issue... I am just waiting their call...

Here is the right side lower control arm, this is the rear attachment bearing...

[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/910/JTcYdJ.jpg[/IMG]
Orsomucca

[MENTION=8718]momo[/MENTION], if I understood the problem correctly you can find the solution to your problem here

http://www.chaosfab.com/2007-2014-FJ-Cr ... ories.html

[TABLE="width: 1078"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 300"][IMG]http://www.chaosfab.com/images/accessories/small/59860-10FJ.jpg[/IMG][/TD]
[TD="width: 778"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 40"][/TD]
[TD]LOWER CONTROL ARM CAM TAB GUSSETS
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 40"] [/TD]
[TD]
  • Reinforces weak factory cam alignment tab plates that bend during bottom outs or hard front impacts.
  • CNC laser cut 1/8" 4130 chromoly replacement cam plates weld-to the frame.
  • 1/4" thick lower cam alignment tabs will not bend like factory tabs.
  • Welding and grinding are required for installation.

Part # 59860: 07-09 FJ Cruiser & 03-09 4runner
Part # 59860-10FJ: 2010+ 4Runner & FJ Cruiser

Price $94.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you [MENTION=9490]Orsomucca[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION] [MENTION=1633]Yoghybear[/MENTION] [MENTION=1803]Zorro[/MENTION] [MENTION=9155]Mark B[/MENTION] Gentlemen, Toyota report says my car has no issue regarding lower arm and related parts, they did the alignment with their equipment and values are very close to the factory ones, and they set the VSC calibration values to zero point, my car is now ready to hit the sand again.

Thank you all for your concern and advices.
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

[video=youtube;3d1cAL3vZFg][/video]