Emirates Desert Championship Round 5

orlantsev
Advance
Advance

Week prior to the event I was tortured by the 12-year old son of my friend to finally take him on a drive. I eventually conceded, but warned him he would need to wake up 5 am and expect to be back to his Ipad not earlier than 7 pm. Apparently the desire of going into the desert was so big that Ipad was defeated this time J Even his aunt who visits Dubai this week at the last moment decided to join. So again I had passengers, but this time the stock of motion sickness medication was big as well as the supply of plastic bags.

For the rally I was teamed with [MENTION=9136]margarita[/MENTION], which made our Auto 1 point complete Russian. It was the same track as during one of the previous episodes, and I was surprised that so few vehicles managed to survive till the end on a fairly know track. If I am not mistaken only 3 managed to finish all the laps. Prior to the start there was an interesting episode. Just when the briefing from the rally was over and we were about to dispatch to our respective points Abu Tareq reminded the official that ‘something’ was still missing. What followed was a long apology in a typical British way. That confused a few as not all of us were party to what the apology was related.I later asked Bu Salem, and it was about the inappropriate and undeserved outburst at Almost 4X4 of the particular official at the earlier event . Good to see that we make others behave in a respectful manner.

After the event was over we started the drive from Auto 1 in the reverse order. Until Auto 3 we relied on own navigation and from point 3 [MENTION=3678]Hockey[/MENTION] arranged a small convoy which took us to the start.

The complimentary drive followed in the afternoon. I just love these drives. They are smaller convoys, almost like ‘boutique’ drives. Most of the time those who have the stamina to wait and desire to drive after long day are ‘hardcore’ well known Almosters and the drive styles and habits are well known which makes it a pleasure to drive. The pace at the start was amazing which was a bit of a shock to my passengers after the relaxed pace at the rally.

From the technical dunes we moved into a soft area which could be perfect ‘egg in the basket’ venue. That part was a bit chaotic with even Mini Me stuck once. From there we moved into bigger dunes and that was a treat in itself. Bu Salem did a ‘live’ training how to recover the car from the top-of-the-dune crest with a shovel. I wish I knew this technique earlier….that could save me a lot of energy. We enjoyed till the very sunset. The boy liked it a lot. When he was offered a front seat in some other car he refused and he said he liked my ‘bumpy’ style of driving…not sure if I should consider it is a compliment though.
bijubs

Fortunately i made it this time even though i was not 100% fit , the event full fill my thirst without almost4x4 for a longer period, happy to attend and manager Auto 4 with my partner @Agalon we had a nice drive to auto4 with out any trouble , reached perfect with android gps of [MENTION=3080]Agalon[/MENTION], one reached re-checked with Montana .. and agalon was happy to find the exact place with his mobile android app. we had nice chit chat as the rally was quite scheduled with 12 participants and end with 3. Car no 310 was informed trouble to control room after 4 th round , after 15 to 20 min time team arrived and towed them. Enjoyed the action to collect back the cones and signs , me and [MENTION=3080]Agalon[/MENTION] collect one after another till auto 5 and continue with other team towards to end pavilion, it was a nice drive enjoyed !!

Missed the action with Mine-me , i love the cute angry face ~ !!
Mark B
Golden Member
Golden Member

[MENTION=1716]salhinai[/MENTION] and I got Auto 6. Coordinates loaded we made a “Bee Line” for our post. Plenty of time to set up, great location. Saeed and I passed the time with interesting conversation and watching the wildlife, both human and not. Race was great. No penalties at our station. Ran the track back picking up comes and flags on the way.

The complimentary trip was great fun. So many challenges in such a short period of time. Got my first POP OUT… Yay….. another trip to the tire shop to balance tires and dig the sand out. Crested only once (pretty good for me), stuck pulling out @Mok11 …. Thanks [MENTION=8718]MOMO[/MENTION] for the rescue…. Got one last chance to use the Viking Rope then the trip went smoothly. [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION] gave us a lesson in self recovery from a cresting. Simple once you see it done. We hit the big dunes running up one side and then the other safari style. A great way to cool down after the soft sand and technical challenges earlier in the drive. Made one last drop off the balcony then air up and home to relay my adventures to the wife. Thanks all for a great Friday (again).

Mark
Arun Pandyat

The Championship was good as usual, nothing to say special, but about the drive….. It was one of its kind, one of the best drive which not to be missed. Whoever didn’t attend the drive, I can say they missed a great drive.

The lead was @alshamsi_m and he placed all Newbies (@Alyasi, @Mok11, @orlantsev and I). Then he placed @Hockey for rescue in charge of Newbies. Behind @Hockey all the intermediate drivers were with buddy system (@Singh, @momo, @MarkB) and @salhinai was in charge of sweep.

All Newbies had a chance to be the second lead. We had a chance to watch how @alshamsi_m is choosing the track. He was on mini-me and all of us were trying to catch up with him. He gave us technical area, soft sand and big dunes. The drive was mostly like roller coaster style and brought out our skills to survive. We all got a chance to learn what to do when you are alone and crested. It was a good demonstration and learning.

Meanwhile @Hockey had some minor issue of his rear door. I saw first time he was upset and came to know everyone gets upset when their baby is upset. He fix the problem by himself and he was back to cool. The drive was bit above my level and really enjoyed the drive. @alshamsi_m had a master plan to make pop outs and luckily we had only one pop out. The weather was so windy and still we all enjoyed and learned new things from the drive.