Small tip for AC settings during offroading

Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

[quote=caprihorse;39993]This is just a rumour, sounds like wrong gear at wrong place or better to say to find something to be blamed...[/quote]

Its so true , specially when off-roading with 4 cylinder 2.7 Liter late model Toyota Prado or Fortuner with A/C on . Or in my case the poor 125 HP under-powered Cherokee tackling the mighty gigantic dunes of Liwa ....:wtfsmilie:
What goes around , comes around .
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Arun Pandyat;39999]Thanks @caprihorse for reminding me about the blog.

I usually check the radiator water and coolant level. The radiator water looks like normal water and very light green colour. I checked the hose and leakage also. Everything is fine. Now I need to take to the garage for checking more detailed. When am taking to the garage do I need to do

1. Thermostat check
  2. Thermostat removed Radiator chemical wash
  3. Replace the coolant
  4. Check the belts
  5. What kind of water must be filled in the radiator?
[/quote]
The drawing in this blog is from Pathfinder. See the second thermostat on the cylinder block (Water Control Valve). This is your problem, remove it, it's useless there, before you go for chemical cleaning. It's placed in the piping at the back of the engine, in the middle, next to body. In the garage they may say, that it is not there, because they don't know, as this engine is the only one with two thermostats, so far I know.

The symptoms are like (it doesn't matter if you have A/C on or off):
You drive city - everything is normal
You drive highway around 130 km/h, the temperature rises little above first line on the indicator (normally is below)
You drive dunes - you may boil the coolant

Ad point 5 - You can use any coolant available on the market, don't use mineral water (masafi or similar), as it contains mineral salts.
Arun Pandyat

I gave my car to garage for radiator chemical cleaning and removing the thermostat. Before cleaning, on the highways the temperature reading was always on the second line. Now the temperature needle has come down. I need to try it one more time in desert and also coolant is using in the radiator.

Thank you very much [MENTION=955]caprihorse[/MENTION] for your advice.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Arun Pandyat;40321]I gave my car to garage for radiator chemical cleaning and removing the thermostat. Before cleaning, on the highways the temperature reading was always on the second line. Now the temperature needle has come down. I need to try it one more time in desert and also coolant is using in the radiator.

Thank you very much @caprihorse for your advice.[/quote]
Great. Which thermostat was removed? I hope that you didn't remove front thermostat permanently...
Arun Pandyat

[quote=caprihorse;40325]Great. Which thermostat was removed? I hope that you didn't remove front thermostat permanently...[/quote]

As you mentioned the garage guy told there is no such a thermostat. Then i show him the diagram and explained where the thermostat is located. This is the one removed

I drove the Jamboree Reloaded with A/C on. [IMG]http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/attachment. ... 2291&stc=1[/IMG]
Once again Thank you [MENTION=955]caprihorse[/MENTION] for your time and effort.