A Very Sandsational Drive

FrancisJK
Intermediate
Intermediate

Meet and greet at Badayer shops half pass 3 yesterday & no joke it’s hot! Strawb gathered and briefed Intermediate drivers before the take-off.

We entered the playground and start to drive smoothly & graciously as Strawb said “warm up”. When everyone’s warmed up we’ve given a chance to drive led by Hockey & Salhinai, it’s a pleasure guys & well done. Now the real deal, we started to enter in the bigger dunes and the fun begins. Fast pacing as if there is no room for mistake because surely you will ruined the harmony and the “sandsation” that we all feel (now I know why you picked this title for this drive).

Unfortunately half way of the drive, again I lost power on my beloved JK worst than what I’ve experience last week in Sweihan... I don’t want to ruined the drive so I have to catch up and drive powerless, Strawb ask me to drive behind the convoy for everyone's safety. Thank you Rashid for looking after me and the rest of the convoy. We carry on driving and the fun is still on and on. Off to Badayer shops with a smile in all the Intermediates face.

I’ve driven many good drives with this family and no doubt this is one of those. Once again thank you for a very good weekend, to Strawb for a very sleek track, you made the hot weather so cool. Thanks for a very “Sandsational drive” & it’s always been a pleasure to drive led by you. I know I’m not the only one looking forward to Summer Sandsation II drive. Big thanks to Rashid looking after the convoy and your support. To all the Organizers, Marshalls & Crew… Two thumbs up, thank you all!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1979[/ATTACH]
Zorro
Advance
Advance

We all met at badayer shops at around 3.30, both newbees and intermediates, after some chitchat and an exhausting deflation, as it was about 46C we moved out and had the briefing. After mentioning the standard rule he also mentioned how he would start “slow” to let every one warm up, then start the SandSation!

No doubt he was right, we needed to warm up :-P after a few struggles and second tries, including my self, every one warmed up….the weather did too, 50C at some points!!….and the challenge started. :-D The track he chose was Really Nice!! Mostly on fresh sand with challenging side crests and tricky places where the sand was very soft, up to Iftar and super bowls.

In this drive I learned even more how my car doesn’t like hot weather, and how the faster we went the cooler the engine temp would get. Moreover how if I kept the car in first the temp gauge needle would rise as fast as the RPM one!!

It was a pleasure to drive behind you Strawb. As Francis said Thank you very much for the SandSational Drive, and we look forward for the 2.0!!

Thank you Strawb for the drive, Rashid for the support and everyone else for the good company till the sunset.

Take Care
Raf
ginger
Intermediate
Intermediate

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 I was also in Strawb’s 5- group and boy did we have fun!
Strawb’s “we’ll warm up gently” was a little bit unconvincing in my view, as we set off ‘like a rocket’ and got straight into a fast and varied drive!
It was good to see 3 Xterra’s in our convoy, and driving behind offroad Ron gave me a few tips on the slightly bigger turning-circle the car has as compared to the shorter Jeeps.

It certainly was a varied drive, and in fact I think we covered most of the ‘text book’ in one single drive including small technical dunes, high dunes, lots of side-cresting, and all taking place on dry hot sand. We even had a chance to play in Super Bowl, and I am becoming more confident at judging when to turn during one of these climbs. My biggest concern in fact was the idea of meeting one of the other groups or stray cars wondering around the area. That part of the desert certainly gets busy on a Friday afternoon.
Many thanks to all the organisers for yet another memorable drive.

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}
salhinai
Advance
Advance

The drive started with a gentle warm up to get everyone to speed. Then Strawb called Hockey to lead for 10 min. Hockey did a nice job an selected some interesting track. After Hockey I was called to lead, this was my first time to lead and boy what an experience this was, tried to read the dunes and select an interesting track. After that Strwab resumed the lead and took us through some really interesting dunes. Thanks to the Marshals (Strawb & RassJass) the other drivers for making it another enjoyable day with Almost. Thanks for the Marshals on the background for giving me a chance to catch up with what I could not do last week.
bombays
Intermediate
Intermediate

reached just on time and saw intermediates lined up and were ready for briefing. strawb explained that first 15 mins will be warming up and then the drive will start. was too excited as this was turning out to be quite challenging in this weather. Drive started and warm up session was itself quite intensed follwed by great lead by hockey and salhinai. Strawb then started again and what a day. we made it to each and every tall and big dune in area 53.at one point of time i was attempting a second try and while backing up was in such a situation where it looked as if i needed a pull. Thanks to rashid as he gave me a chance to do self recovery and i lived up to his expectations. rashid saw the nissan power with diff lock in action and i was back on track. Played around at iftar bowl and proceeded towards super bowl. played around and moved towards badayer well in time without any stuck or pop out. strawb , rashid i owe my fun to you and all the members who made it great.