Treasure Hunt 2.0

muaz

GNFD was designed into eleven sections and Treasure Hunt briefing was exactly section twelve for me, it raises my adrenaline immediately and kept my eyes on the powered cars where found my competitor, when the start sign fused my car start flying and at the first check point Dave has arrived ahead of seconds lol, and I beat the end point, yeah.
16 minutes of drive was recorded on my black box cam from start to end and that make marshals wondering what next after this? It’s still 10:15AM.
Ok where is the treasure? Oh no power needed now, you need to use your brain.
We plow the entire spot where the GPS targeted till one of the burier came to say: no guys you need to plow deeper!!!!!
Green Giant was really patient and the award was really deserved.
After little break from long shoveling some of the players left back home and they don’t realize that the fun was about to start.
Al Khatib surprised us to continue to Al Badayer and that was what everybody expecting, the drive was one of the most enjoyable exciting I ever drive with very minor stops.
The drive to Al Bayader really need one more page to Fulfilled.
Very thank to all who made it happen.
Dave
Advance
Advance

Well, as always after an Almost4x4 Friday, home and having a lazy evening after a full morning driving around the desert. The day was really broken into three parts for me.

Part 1: Treasure Hunt 2.0

Most of us arrived on time or a little before the 8am meet to discuss a few ''user'' issues with our new GPS toys and deflate tyres and also engage in our usual early morning greetings. All geared up and ready to go soon after but 4x4's still arriving at 8.30am so was a little after 9am when we finally started our brief. We had 16 cars with a start waypoint to race off towards with the first 15 getting coordinates for the next point and then 10 for the following and 5 for the last I believe? To be honest its all a bit hazy as once we got the signal to go I just took off and never looked back, arriving first at the initially check point. There after me and my GPS needed a little ''time'' to re-programme new coordinates so those with a co-driver took the advantage! Never the less it was a photo finish to the final point between Muaz and myself though we were wasting our time rushing and racing about as Green Giant came prepared with a GPS equipped shovel and found his treasure! A Dhs1000 window tint voucher. Well done!

Part 2: Another Surprise!

As it was only 10am a surprise offer to continue on to Al Badayer was put on the table. Most took it so a very large convoy headed off South West bound. (I think that's what my GPS was saying....!) There was a very long stretch of unchallenging terrain ahead which unfortunately had to be covered before we got anywhere near the sand dunes. So 2 wheel drive was engaged and windows down, a/c off and try enjoy the gentle drive. It was my first time seeing the infamous ''Mini-me'' and I was impressed. It certainly was the only car there to make these tracks entertaining. I saw a few power slides and the odd hand brake turn. It was driving like we were on a go cart track! I didn't know Honda made such a car...... (Hello Caprihorse!)
Finally, in the distance I saw Pink Rock and some proper off road terrain. A 20 minute break then....

Part 3: Pink Rock to Badayer

OK, back into 4x4 and some fun behind the wheel again. An impressive job of keeping everyone together on this stretch. More challenges now so little stuck here and there, most self recovered, a few second attacks at the climb and a small coming together between Jeep and Toyota. Minimal damage but goes to show how keeping enough distance is important. We need to make sure this does not happen on our drives. Finally made it to Badayer at 1.30pm. Almost 6 hours from arriving at the meet point.

Overall, a fun challenge with the Treasure Hunt. A bit of a lull in between the long drive from our meet point to Pink Rock but that's all down to the geography of the land there and the fact that after spending the first 30 minutes racing around on 2 and 3 wheels (and a little airborne time too!) it seemed all of a sudden a little mundane!

A big thanks to Strawb for taking time to talk on the phone about my new GPS, Green Giant and PWood for showing me to keep it simple when using it, all the marshals for keeping us safe and giving their time again on a Friday and all my fellow Newbies for keeping it fun. Great to see everybody this morning. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Dave;32327]... I didn't know Honda made such a car...... (Hello Caprihorse!)...[/quote]

Hey buddy, r u kidding with me ?? :ORLY:
Dave
Advance
Advance

....maybe kidding Caprihorse....waiting for Al Shamsi to comment next! By the way, your old Toyota performed very well again today!
yasir
Intermediate
Intermediate

It was one of the great trips that I've been to with almost4x4 as first we drive Solo to improve our navigation skills and then fast pace challenging drive of 65 Km in just three hours.

As Dave said above details of the drive, it was a very unique experience for most or for all the newbies today. Thanks Marshals for organizing such a wonderful event.

[IMG]https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f7850ef0 ... %21485&v=3[/IMG]
ginger
Intermediate
Intermediate

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Treasure Hunt 2.0 for me started off with a quite a few challenges with my GPS , and I’ll certainly be spending a lot more time getting to know my new toy! Driving solo also gives another perspective and an added level of concentration required. Really useful experience.

The morning then morphed into a really fun drive AlKhatib rally-style, fast, long and really exhilarating. Thanks as always to all the organisers.

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thanks Hamdan for organising Treasure Hunt 2.0, my first experience at solo between GPS coordinates. First tip to myself was follow the compass pointer on the screen! We all gathered at the Start Point quite early and waited in anticipation for the briefing. It wasn't a Race (apparently) but then we were told that it was an elimination event at each checkpoint, which made it again a bit competitive! We were lined up and started together, 16 cars heading to point 1. The area was very well used and after a few minutes the old rutted tracks reduced and I could focus on the target, point 1. Once I acknowledged the compass pointer on the Montana things improved! I was 9th to the first checkpoint and then 7th at the second. Setting off to the final point and the treasure dig I was feeling pretty good. I soon spotted the gathering of cars at the final point and as I approached I saw Dave, Muaz and a couple of others digging frantically. By fortune I used the GPS equipped shovel and located the prize after about 10 minutes. By that point I think everyone else had almost given up hope! The prize of 1000dhs worth of window tinting was very well received, thank you all the organisers.

It was only just after 10am and we were all hungering for more excitement, so Al Khatib stepped up and suggested that we drive to Al Badayer, which most Almosters were up for. I checked the GPS and it was 30 km as the crow flies. We set off and headed towards the Dunes through some unusual terrain which was 2WD territory for the majority. After a while Pink Rock loomed in the distance and we then looked forwards to the proper dunes. A quick stop before we entered the Dunes and then a fast paced rally style run through to Al Badayer and the end. I logged a little over 60km on the track and we had very few stucks and troubles; I had a second round at one point but other than that a very enjoyable and varied mornings driving.

Thanks to everyone for organising (Hamdan, Al Khatib, Abu Jimmy, Zico ) and other Almosters for a great morning, looking forwards to this weeks challenge, whatever that may be!
Bambam
Intermediate
Intermediate

I have really enjoyed every minute of this trip... Especially part 2 towards Al Badayr...
@Al Khatib, I have checked on Goolgle maps and I think you have not missed 1 ridge - we have got them all... :) Thanks for this amazing trip which tested my skills, nerves and the little Pajero... I hope all 5+ Trips will be as entertaining and educational... Most important lesson learnt is that we should keep distance and not overtake if someone is stuck... I must admit: I also have jeopardized the safety of a fellow Almoster on one ridge - Sorry for that. @Red Shark, you are always welcome but next time no Radio for you or Abu Jimmy will seriously ban me from future drives... :slow: (just kidding - you were the best navigator someone could wish for)

A BIG THANK YOU for this amazing Friday!!!