jeep advice for TJ purchase

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Spencerj702;28172]Yasir, thanks and I fully agree. The temperature issue is my biggest concern and I am getting that sorted out on Wednesday at off-road zone. I need to find a good transmission overhauled, anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?[/quote]

What's the issue with your transmission?
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

[quote=caprihorse;28174]What's the issue with your transmission?[/quote]

it grinds a bit going into 3rd gear, synchromesh I think. There is no jumping out of gear issues (so far) which I understand is a TJ issue occasionally.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Spencerj702;28188]it grinds a bit going into 3rd gear, synchromesh I think. There is no jumping out of gear issues (so far) which I understand is a TJ issue occasionally.[/quote]

Hmm, definitely I think it's not TJ, but it's synchro wheel, I had this once at Ford Mondeo. It was making metallic noise when I was switching from 2nd to 3rd. Probably you earned this from the previous owner. :sad:
Mubz

[quote=Spencerj702;28172]Yasir, thanks and I fully agree. The temperature issue is my biggest concern and I am getting that sorted out on Wednesday at off-road zone. [/quote]

Once resolved can you please share with us what was done to it as it might help others ( specially me)

I dont have heating issue as the gauge stays between 210 and 230 ( between half and the next bar) but I would like to keep it either at half or below
Black_Shrek

If it overheats while idling, and the fan spins in the right direction, it might be
1) the water pump, rather expensive
2) bad thermostat, cheap-cheap
3) clogged fluid flow (either in the radiator or some hose) but since it was flushed, its not it.
Had the same issue on my ZJ and replacing the thermostat improved a lot. No overheating, just if temp outside is over 40C it goes to 1/8 higher than middle.
There are thermostats which open at lower temp(80C) instead of stock(95C), thinking of installing one next summer.
Maddie

Jeremy, if the Radiator and Ac core have been replaced recently and the system has been flushed, its either the thermostat or water pump, could be the clutch fan slipping too.

At idle, it won't be Airflow problem because of the winch, remember its under minimal load and the clutch fan can draw more than enough air even if the front grill is half covered.

Code Red, the thermostat won't flow more water, it will make sure the coolant flows sooner i.e. at a lower temperature.

Thank You Black Shrek.

Mubz, you may want to take a look at sandskulls XJ (previously Lamboo's)
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

[quote=caprihorse;28190]Hmm, definitely I think it's not TJ, but it's synchro wheel, I had this once at Ford Mondeo. It was making metallic noise when I was switching from 2nd to 3rd. Probably you earned this from the previous owner. :sad:[/quote]

Yes, and I was aware of it when I bought the car so didn't pay asking price.
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

[quote=Maddie;28200]Jeremy, if the Radiator and Ac core have been replaced recently and the system has been flushed, its either the thermostat or water pump, could be the clutch fan slipping too. At idle, it won't be Airflow problem because of the winch, remember its under minimal load and the clutch fan can draw more than enough air even if the front grill is half covered.[/quote]

Thanks again Maddie. We must have a chat on Friday if we can - compare notes and share experience in person!
admin

With all due respect and appreciation to all members reply in this topic

Here are in your hand some of my very short experience with 13 Wrangler i have it before ( YJ - TJ - JK )

1- if you are looking for a specific model like TJ , I advise you for :

A - Find 2004 Model\ 4.0L manual specially coz it holds one of the strongest 5-speed Transmission of the TJ series beter thant 2002 - 2003 & 2005 -2006 ) & don't think with auto Transmission
B - try get the jeep in stock & excellent condition is better than modify TJ so you can easily check the car & modified the jeep on right way with out lose more money on fix the JEEP & fix the wrong modification as most jeep in local market
C - normal TJ in good condition don't have any issues with heating
D - keep your self away form any jeep with macaroni wiring

also im ready for all your enquiry about wrangler in any time
Adventures League of Mountains, Oceans & Sand Thrills
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

[quote=ALKHATIB;28226]With all due respect and appreciation to all members reply in this topic

Here are in your hand some of my very short experience with 13 Wrangler i have it before ( YJ - TJ - JK )

1- if you are looking for a specific model like TJ , I advise you for :

A - Find 2004 Model\ 4.0L manual specially coz it holds one of the strongest 5-speed Transmission of the TJ series beter thant 2002 - 2003 & 2005 -2006 ) & don't think with auto Transmission
B - try get the jeep in stock & excellent condition is better than modify TJ so you can easily check the car & modified the jeep on right way with out lose more money on fix the JEEP & fix the wrong modification as most jeep in local market
C - normal TJ in good condition don't have any issues with heating
D - keep your self away form any jeep with macaroni wiring

also im ready for all your enquiry about wrangler in any time[/quote]

:like:.. when experience speaks out .
What goes around , comes around .