jeep advice for TJ purchase

Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

Guys, very interesting discussion thread. As an existing Jeeper, I have taken a decision to look for a Wrangler to feed my growing obsession with desert driving, and to keep my GC WK2 for daily driving, and need some advice. I am looking at a few cars on Saturday, and have a varied choice.

A. I appreciate that short wheelbase is in theory better than long wheelbase for desert driving, is this true for the TJ?
B. Should I get a stock version or one which has already been modified?
C. If already modified - to what extent?
D. Engine? 4.0L or 3.8L ( can't afford the Pentastar models!)
E. Finally, what specific issues should I look for? I have a friend with a TJ who has issues with steering rack, wiring and poorly installed aftermarket mods (cooling fan wired to rear screen heater timer circuit!)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will chat with any TJ drivers out this afternoon, to learn from your experiences!!

Thanks.
Mubz

[quote=Spencerj702;27892]Guys, very interesting discussion thread. As an existing Jeeper, I have taken a decision to look for a Wrangler to feed my growing obsession with desert driving, and to keep my GC WK2 for daily driving, and need some advice. I am looking at a few cars on Saturday, and have a varied choice.

A. I appreciate that short wheelbase is in theory better than long wheelbase for desert driving, is this true for the TJ?
E. Finally, what specific issues should I look for? I have a friend with a TJ who has issues with steering rack, wiring and poorly installed aftermarket mods (cooling fan wired to rear screen heater timer circuit!)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will chat with any TJ drivers out this afternoon, to learn from your experiences!!

Thanks.[/quote]

I am not a jeeper but I do have Jeep Xj, so I wont be able to comment or suggest anything related to Jeep. But I would say do speak to al Khatib, Abu Jimmy, Omar, Lamboo as they know jeeps inside out and will give you best advise you can possible get.
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thanks Mubz. As you can see I opted for a TJ with some mods - suspension lift and larger tires. No performance mods so will see how the Jolly Green Giant gets on!
Maddie

[quote=Spencerj702;28132]Thanks Mubz. As you can see I opted for a TJ with some mods - suspension lift and larger tires. No performance mods so will see how the Jolly Green Giant gets on![/quote]

Jeremy, those two mods and proper offroad lighting are quite enough.

Work on your skills and you'll have a wonderful experience. There's another writeup on the webpage regarding Fans on jeeps by Mubz which you may like to read.
yasir
Intermediate
Intermediate

[quote=Spencerj702;27892]Guys, very interesting discussion thread. As an existing Jeeper, I have taken a decision to look for a Wrangler to feed my growing obsession with desert driving, and to keep my GC WK2 for daily driving, and need some advice. I am looking at a few cars on Saturday, and have a varied choice.

Thanks.[/quote]

Dear Spencerj702,

A. Long wheel base vs. Short wheel base
1. Shorter wheel base is better for sharp turning but longer wheel base gives more stability.
2. Short wheel base will have issues like very sharp turning, it is very likely to kick the rear out and slide, this is one reason why a large number of rally cars have shorter wheel base due to their need to slide controllable and easily.
3. Aerodynamic issues: Shorter car will have a bad aerodynamic profile, increasing the drag.
4. Polar moment of inertia: Shorter cars have lower polar moment of inertia enabling them to spin easily about their center of gravity, thereby increasing the chances of Rollover.

B. 100% Stock.
C. As above.
D. Engine 4L I6.
E. Specific issues.
1. Most issues are the side effect of modifications like steering problems, overheating and vibration etc.
2. Check A/C cooling.
3. Chassis not rusty.
4. Check for oil and coolant leak.
5. Prefer to have maintained service history.
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

[quote=yasir;28135]Dear Spencerj702,

A. Long wheel base vs. Short wheel base
1. Shorter wheel base is better for sharp turning but longer wheel base gives more stability.
2. Short wheel base will have issues like very sharp turning, it is very likely to kick the rear out and slide, this is one reason why a large number of rally cars have shorter wheel base due to their need to slide controllable and easily.
3. Aerodynamic issues: Shorter car will have a bad aerodynamic profile, increasing the drag.
4. Polar moment of inertia: Shorter cars have lower polar moment of inertia enabling them to spin easily about their center of gravity, thereby increasing the chances of Rollover.

B. 100% Stock.
C. As above.
D. Engine 4L I6.
E. Specific issues.
1. Most issues are the side effect of modifications like steering problems, overheating and vibration etc.
2. Check A/C cooling.
3. Chassis not rusty.
4. Check for oil and coolant leak.
5. Prefer to have maintained service history.[/quote]

Thanks for your reply Yasir.

As you can see I already bought a TJ which has some mods. Small suspension lift and larger tires mainly. No performance mods.
2006 model with 4.0 L and 6 speed box 96000km.

The steering is good with no 'wander', unlike a 2008 model JK I test drove before it which was very vague. The AC heat exchangers and other parts were changed about 2 months ago so that works fine; there is no rust and no evidence of oil or coolant leaks. It has a fair amount of history from 2010 on with lots of invoices for works at Trading Enterprises, AEV and off-road Zone.

Now the faults!

There is an issue with the gearbox grinding shifting from 2nd to 3rd, I assume it is a synchromesh fault. I can live with it on road as can change 2nd to 4th, or let the revs die enough to match engine/box speed. Off road I doubt that I will need 3rd very often, when I do it still works. I will get that sorted when the clutch needs changing.

The only other thing is overheating. When stationary for longer than 5-10 mins, the temp gauge goes into the red and check gauges light comes on. It reads about 105 when normal running, and I am told by the previous owner the cooling system has been flushed twice in the last 2 years and the radiator was changed about 2 years ago. I have seen Mubz and maddie's comments but need to have a closer look at the system before doing anything. I can dump the heat through the heater in a minute or so so not a big issue at the moment. When underway the temp stays stable at 105.

grateful for any further advice from fellow TJ'ers.
Mubz

[quote=Spencerj702;28159]

The only other thing is overheating. When stationary for longer than 5-10 mins, the temp gauge goes into the red and check gauges light comes on. It reads about 105 when normal running, and I am told by the previous owner the cooling system has been flushed twice in the last 2 years and the radiator was changed about 2 years ago. I have seen Mubz and maddie's comments but need to have a closer look at the system before doing anything. I can dump the heat through the heater in a minute or so so not a big issue at the moment. When underway the temp stays stable at 105.
[/quote]

Again I am not a jeeper but what I've experience so far with my XJ , I had same issue with heating so this is what I did
1. Changed the crank sensor ( to get accurate reading)
2. Check gauges ( changed the oil valve as my engine oil gauge was not giving consistent reading)
3. Regarding Heating, I would say get it checked before entering the dessert as we know that temperature is usually high then normal in the dessert, and its different then on-road.
4. I had issue with clutch fan bearing as well so got that one fixed and now temperature remains in control.

I would suggest a quick visit to a garage ( my personal recommendation would be Almost4x4 service center )as Omer will give you an honest advise and wont touch the jeep unless its necessary to do so.

Again this is just my suggestion ( as a newbie jeeper) maybe others think differently, just wanted to share my thoughts. :)
yasir
Intermediate
Intermediate

Dear Spencerj702,

Welcome to the JEEP club, I also have same model 2006 manual.
My sincere advice is to solve both problems, gear and temperature issue.
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

[quote=Mubz;28162]I would suggest a quick visit to a garage ( my personal recommendation would be Almost4x4 service center )as Omer will give you an honest advise and wont touch the jeep unless its necessary to do so.[/quote]

Thanks Mubz, I have her booked in to Off-road Zone on Wednesday for a full service anyway to get sorted for Friday.
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

[quote=yasir;28164]Dear Spencerj702,

Welcome to the JEEP club, I also have same model 2006 manual.
My sincere advice is to solve both problems, gear and temperature issue.[/quote]

Yasir, thanks and I fully agree. The temperature issue is my biggest concern and I am getting that sorted out on Wednesday at off-road zone. I need to find a good transmission overhauled, anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?