Will bring a walkie talkie from abroad

Defragmantor
Intermediate
Intermediate

Since I am in china I was wondering would it be better to get a walkie talkie here and get it to dubai (if the airport allows me to take it through ) or buy it from dragon mart when I get back .
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Baohui, crony and kenwood radios will sell for 180aed in dragonmart.

The foldable shovels dont really do much help in the desert. Better get a proper sized shovel from ace hardware or any construction material shop.

Hope this helps
brandonjh4

[quote=strawb;26598]Baohui, crony and kenwood radios will sell for 180aed in dragonmart.

The foldable shovels dont really do much help in the desert. Better get a proper sized shovel from ace hardware or any construction material shop.

Hope this helps[/quote] but these would be single band I believe right, and would it have a display? I saw several in that range, but it did not have a display. I agree about the shovel. Am yet to visit ace. Picked this is more out of impulse as it looked real good. However, it has a good locking bolt that keeps it firmly in place and makes it quite sturdy. But no doubt, no match for a full rigid shovel.
brandonjh4

[quote=Defragmantor;26597]Since I am in china I was wondering would it be better to get a walkie talkie here and get it to dubai (if the airport allows me to take it through ) or buy it from dragon mart when I get back .[/quote]

I was reading up on the exact same thing last night. One can carry walkie talkies on a plane, though it is better to keep it in checked baggage and with battery off. However, in terms of bringing it in, it depends on laws prevailing in each respective country. In the UAE there is a possibility of them pulling you up for it.

Maybe others can shed some light on this.
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

[quote=brandonjh4;26600]I was reading up on the exact same thing last night. One can carry walkie talkies on a plane, though it is better to keep it in checked baggage and with battery off. However, in terms of bringing it in, it depends on laws prevailing in each respective country. In the UAE there is a possibility of them pulling you up for it.

Maybe others can shed some light on this.[/quote]

Agree ... Not recommended
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=brandonjh4;26599]but these would be single band I believe right, and would it have a display? I saw several in that range, but it did not have a display. I agree about the shovel. Am yet to visit ace. Picked this is more out of impulse as it looked real good. However, it has a good locking bolt that keeps it firmly in place and makes it quite sturdy. But no doubt, no match for a full rigid shovel.[/quote]

These woukd have screens to see the chanel and options of the radio.

Most of the members here use the same
Defragmantor
Intermediate
Intermediate

i went ahead and got myself this one not sure what am i gonna do to get it through the airport .ps i read brandon's post too late .Is this the right one as in will this work ?????or should i go back tommorow and get it exchanged for some other one [ATTACH=CONFIG]1448[/ATTACH]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Defragmantor;26604]i went ahead and got myself this one not sure what am i gonna do to get it through the airport .ps i read brandon's post too late .Is this the right one as in will this work ?????or should i go back tommorow and get it exchanged for some other one [/quote]
Ok Defrag, let me express it my way... we have written hundreds of post about the radios and what are the requirements. As you probably did not read it all, we hope that your radio will not work :blank:

Option 2 - try to key in our frequency (check on the Forum by you, which is the right one) and see if it works (of course communicating with some other radio on the same frequency)

Option 3 - try to get back your cash, if option 2 does not work
brandonjh4

If possible, get your money back and then head over to Dragon Mart and get the Quansheng. I personally do not see any value add in getting Chinese stuff all the way from China and risk losing it at the airport or getting into unnecessary situation with the cops. They (Dragon Mart folks) have taken the pain for you and are selling the stuff in little China right here under our nose ;-). Make use of it. less hassles.

In case you do decide to bring it, we will then have first hand knowledge (at your risk, which we are happy willing to take :yarr:) on whether the cops pay attention to it or not and it they are allowed / not allowed. And incase they do question you, just say u do offroading with a bunch of your friends and dont mention any club name.
delta83
Advance
Advance

i would suggest to return it,
i have been stopped and screened in airport for so many stuff...
i carried head lights, suspensions, bolts for my none offroad car , they stopped me and scanned me in a separate room
once i had to argue for a good 20 min with customs after a visit from china to bring in a small dagger, souvenir from a marshal art touristic mountain, the dagger wasnt even sharpen, it was just a piece of metal
so to bring in a walkie talkie, consider spending some time with customs ;)
easy solution get it from Dragon mart, if it doesnt work at least you can return it or exchange it