Kacha Road

ginger
Intermediate
Intermediate

As an uninformed Newbie , I was confused on a number of occasions to hear on the radio Marshals referring to a 'Kach(a) Road'. Initially I had no idea what it meant but soon realized that it referred to a 'desert track', the sort that leads off the road to say a camel farm.
Interesting, but how should I spell the word (I was thinking in my head something like 'catch' or 'Qach' etc, and was it perhaps an Arabic word?)

Here's what I've found which others might find of some use (and please correct me if I'm wrong)
It's from the Urdu (and also Hindi?) word 'Kacha' meaning temporary. So a Kacha road is simply a temporary impacted sand road through the desert, in contrast to a 'Pukka' road being the sort that has tarmac on it!
Mubz

[quote=ginger;26379]
Here's what I've found which others might find of some use (and please correct me if I'm wrong)
It's from the Urdu (and also Hindi?) word 'Kacha' meaning temporary. So a Kacha road is simply a temporary impacted sand road through the desert, in contrast to a 'Pukka' road being the sort that has tarmac on it![/quote]

Well in Urdu / Hindi Kacha mean temporary or not finished ( it can be used in different context ) but you are right it means temporary, but never heard over the radio so maybe they are referring to something else you never know but might have to ask them or wait for the post :)
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dastoori got it right, we're naming such road as "Gatch" not Kacha and we are referring to it in our communication.

Additionally we have also expresion 'desert hiway' or 'komatsu road', where we mean a track in desert, in sand, made by heavy machinery, where you can drive pretty fast, with speeds up to 160 km/h. It's a great fun. Usually at our long distance trips, we have these roads marked in GPS, to allow us a quick exit from desert, in case of emergency.
ginger
Intermediate
Intermediate

Many thanks for the clarification Chief
160km sounds really fun !
Alok708

[quote=caprihorse;26389]Dastoori got it right, we're naming such road as "Gatch" not Kacha and we are referring to it in our communication.

Additionally we have also expresion 'desert hiway' or 'komatsu road', where we mean a track in desert, in sand, made by heavy machinery, where you can drive pretty fast, with speeds up to 160 km/h. It's a great fun. Usually at our long distance trips, we have these roads marked in GPS, to allow us a quick exit from desert, in case of emergency.[/quote]

Many thanks for the clarification chief. Infact I too heard this word 'Gatcha' sometimes during the trips but never really understood the meaning.

Also I am thinking '160 kmph' in desert! Sure must be real fun!! Bashar once told me that sometimes the convoy drives really fast, but I never imagined that it would be faster than what we do on tarmac!! would surely like to be a part of one of such drives :thumbsup:
Mubz

[quote=caprihorse;26389] 'komatsu road', where we mean a track in desert, in sand, made by heavy machinery, where you can drive pretty fast, with speeds up to 160 km/h. It's a great fun.[/quote]

Chief you got all the newbies interested here so can we please have one of these trips arranged where newbies can drive upto 160km/h in dessert :)
cyanide

[quote=ginger;26379]As an uninformed Newbie , I was confused on a number of occasions to hear on the radio Marshals referring to a 'Kach(a) Road'. Initially I had no idea what it meant but soon realized that it referred to a 'desert track', the sort that leads off the road to say a camel farm.
Interesting, but how should I spell the word (I was thinking in my head something like 'catch' or 'Qach' etc, and was it perhaps an Arabic word?)

It's from the Urdu (and also Hindi?) word 'Kacha' meaning temporary. So a Kacha road is simply a temporary impacted sand road through the desert, in contrast to a 'Pukka' road being the sort that has tarmac on it![/quote]

Gatch or Kacha we want to test it ourselves and have a drag race:excitement::excitement:
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

Heres a video from our drive last year which can give you an idea how fast ws drive in gatch roads

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h7wZdI2IP_c
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=strawb;26486]Heres a video from our drive last year which can give you an idea how fast ws drive in gatch roads

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h7wZdI2IP_c[/quote]

Here is the right link - http://youtu.be/h7wZdI2IP_c

and showing Arminjune and Sarookh in trouble, with a little support of Mostwanted ...