Skyline Dunes

alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello Everyone

In our basic intro to our newbies, we do straight climbs and straight drops. Two weeks ago we focused on the drops to improve the control over the car while going down so it makes sense that the next step is practice going up to practice when you should turn down before you lose all the power.

This time we drove the west side of Al Baddayer on the Golden Dunes chain up to the Iftar Below. The convoy delivered as expected with some of the challenges due to too many tracks in that area .

At Iftar bowl, we all sat down chilling and watching all the offroaders challenging the dune. We had a fantastic time with great fun. I think we were the most cheerful and the loudest among all.

Thanks for all the shared the food and the good mood and looking forward to see you all

Best regards
Shamsi
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Zain

Hi Almosters,

Been a busy Sunday at work so far but I finally have some spare time, so here goes my trip report for Skyline Dunes.

This drive was for newbies with 6 and above drives, so I expected it to be a step above all the previous drives I attended since they were for 0 - 5 drives newbies. As expected, the drive was a step above. The pace was faster, we climbed steeper dunes and more side sloping.

Furthermore, from my perspective I could feel the convoy being a bit more 'experienced', apart from a pop out and some second tries, we didn't have any hiccups. Having learnt from my mistakes in the previous drives, I made sure I don't repeat them. The radio communication felt more clear and cohesive too.

At a point in the drive one of the driver ahead dropped their flag mount. It was a suction mount so it just came off during a climb. This was at a time when our pace was relatively higher and it fell in between a climb for a dune. I heard the radio call and spotted the flag, quickly stopped and collected it. Since the flag dropped mid climb of a dune, the car couldn't take off at an angle so I had to turn down and re-do the climb. The entire convoy behind me stopped and waited patiently, kept safe distance and the support crew guided me during the process. It was great to see the entire convoy work as a well oiled machine. Amazing coordination and understanding between everyone.

Thank you @alshamsi_m for organizing this drive and all the intermediate and advance drivers for the support.

Kind regards,
Zain
Blue Fj
brett
Crew
Crew

Good Evening Everyone

Apologies for the later than usual drive report, due to today being on leave and enjoying an extra day of rest.

I did spend a couple of hours at RTA registering the color change for the FJ but that’s a story for another day pacman

So we arrived at the meeting point 30min early so we could deflate and chat with everyone before the official proceedings started. Seems everyone was arriving early !

A decent size group comprising of the usual suspects.
Some surprises - @NahorJP turning up in his new FJ thumbsup

Quick briefing from @alshamsi_m and off we went. Sitting at 2nd lead again was an honor and a pleasure being able to follow the lead and observe his technique.

The drive was set at a fairly brisk pace for the 10- Newbies. Lots of technical sections with climbs, side crests and drops. A few 2nd tries as would be expected but no major incidents

We did have @sparrow join the double pop out club - welcome girl it is an exclusive membership and no easy feat to achieve yaeh am not durnk

Some new challenges for the Newbies as it was near impossible to see our track if you dropped to far back as there were tracks everywhere. Add to that the presence of lots of other convoys at times even cutting through our convoy.

We finished the drive to settle in and watch the big boys play in the bowl. There were a number of “cowboys” in souped up Patrols and LC’s rocketing up the bowl - some successfully, some having to abort and try again. Not to be out done @alshamsi_m decided to take his passenger on an adrenaline fueled sightseeing trip up and down the bowl.

And as if the wasn’t enough he decided to “borrow” @sparrow Jimny with her in the passenger seat. Wow it really is the driver not the car ! The Jimny literally flew up the dune putting to shame the guys in the big powerful modified vehicles

My Take Aways :

Keep the right distance from car in front. Not too close not to far
Listen to the radio and follow the instructions
Watch listen and observe
You learn new skills on every drive.
It IS the driver not that car.

Brett
Wasp VII
Until the next Adventure

Brett
Red Baron
NahorJP
Intermediate
Intermediate

Skyline Dunes
Trip organizer : @alshamsi_m

Descent afternoon spot for off-roading and this area is one of the most fav of mine. :yuush:

ok!! there you go straight to the meeting point. spotted Wasp V2 (@brett ) first bird to arrive at the M Pt. and one by one other participants started flowing in.

Its Summer, but we don't care! deflate, catch-up with the team mates and highly experienced marshals to gain & share some extra knowledge. Followed by the kick off meeting by founder @alshamsi_m . redbullsmiley Convoy was aligned and set to start the trip with @brett as a second lead and rest all the member lined behind one another. i was following @ImranFJ , his driving skills are excellent. Didn't feel any hitch in keeping up the pace and our driving style was almost synced with each others. Behind me was the blue FJ (@Zain ) and he was also driving perfectly fine. zomg

Couple of retries we could hear on the radio chatter but its part of the game.
New starter tag achieved by @sparrow (congrats) thumbsup

Iftar Bowl :bouaaaaah: : it was good to see all off-roaders meeting at this location and testing the newly installed exhaust / power booster on their cars. Raging force and skills to reach at the top of the Iftar Bowl gives you the satisfaction and amazing sunset view on the other side. :graffiti:

we left from Iftar Bowl before it was dark and ended our trip at Badayer petrol station. Got few minutes to say bye and thanking each others for driving safely. :enjoying_mah_playlist:

It is always good to see the happiness on every beautiful face specially after an amazing drive like this. Thanks @alshamsi_m and all the support team @Defragmantor @Gabor @haider alnuaimi @Mabubaker. Great second lead @brett , keep it up!

Usual suspects: @James @brett @Tomvanhouten @Laarni @Zain @ImranFJ @sparrow @dorudoru @Gabor @Mabubaker @brett
Thanks
Roan (Night Fury)

See you on Sands!! Sooner the Better!!
ImranFJ
Intermediate
Intermediate

Good afternoon almosters,

First off I would like to say, what an amazing drive we had in al Madam area. Without a doubt my new favorite spot. I arrived at the meeting point with a sight of more than 6 FJ's :XD: . A quick and easy briefing as my only instructions from @alshamsi_m were " After the two lady drivers, I don't care" Psmiley . We drove a nice mix of safari style, straight cresting, a taste of some side cresting, and some interesting climbs. One of the highlights of the trip was the sight of not one but two popouts at the same time. definitely something to remember for this trip by. I experienced a couple of second tries but that's one of the consequences you face in summer. We had a perfect stop for a break on top of a dune with probably the best view in the area. As I straight crested down I got instant flashbacks of Liwa dunes. It was a beautiful spot.

Finally We stopped at Iftar and watched the sun set and witnessed some interesting climbs but seeing @alshamsi_m climb with the Jimny definitely put a smile on everyone's faces grin . As it got dark we headed back towards the gas station and ended the great trip.

I would like to thank all the support team for their contribution to making this long convoy a very organized and fun one and a special thank you to the one and only @alshamsi_m for an unforgettable evening.

Regards,
Imran FJ
RyanRichard

For the drive on Friday 02/07/2021, had an amazing time.
It was my first time up front, a lot more fun. Pace is a lot faster/better.
Tried asking questions while we waited, got some useful information to adjust my car and improve it for the desert, I'm still keeping the boxes though Psmiley

Everyone arrived on time and we left pretty much on schedule which was nice.

The drives are getting better and better. Looking forward to the next one.

Thank you to those that are marshalling and arranging for us to be taken into the desert.

Ryan