Xterra question

samr1
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting an Xterra mostly as a family car and the occasional off-road adventure, I will still have my faithful JEEP. Is there a particular year or type you'd recommend? I'm looking at you caprihorse:loyal:
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Samr, Xterra is very powerful car, but as standard it is coming without off-roading package. Xterra is very sensitive to front bumper damages and 'jumping' rear suspension. To drive this car without modifications and damages, requires many years of off-roading experience, but it can be done.

Off-roading package from Nissan dealer covers:
Front shocks (good)
Rear diff-locks (very good)
BF Goodrich tyres (light version = very good)

Investment by you would cover rear suspension (coils and leaf shocks), metallic bumper and additional lights.

Normally you should get the model from 2005 to present, which is equipped with powerful VQ40DE engine, 4.0L, 265 HP, manual transmission.
Sarookh
Advance
Advance

Samr1, i heard Mokhtar a follow almoster and an Xterra owner talking about some heavy duty front diff and as per my understanding that are some models which comes ready made from the dealer. you might look into it ...
samr1
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thanks gentlemen!
Jeff

Capri, what kind of rear suspension kit do you have in mind? I've got a 2011 Offroad edition.
Riadh

Hi Jeff,
after our last off road trip i have this sound coming from my rear suspension back AGAIN. but this time it's more heavy and groovy. It comes only when i drive in low speed and turning the track or driving over a speed bumps. In straight line and speed over 40Km/h the sound disappear.
it's really an annoying sound and i don't know if i should just get use to it or take my X to the dealer to get it fix.
Some Xterra owners told me that this sound is normal and it's not a critical mechanical issue but still i'm not sure about it. They confirm that even if i get it fix it will comes back after a few off road trip.
still... I adore my X and i think it's a very good off road track.
any body have any solution?
Rommel
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sam,

Milan had his 2011 Xterra completely modified at Ramy 4x4 recently. It's a very good car (even without any mods), but for the serious stuff, mods come into play. A few trips to Liwa took their toll on the car but now it's better than ever! ;)

Take care buddy
FSL

Sam if i were you, i'd either keep one car and put all the money and effort to modify it or i'd have one family car and a separate offroad/weekend car, so even if i break it on weekend i still have my daily driver.

Xterra might be prone to damages in stock condition as every other car. So using family car for offroading can be a bit tricky.

Just my personal opinion buddy :)
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Jeff;6827]Capri, what kind of rear suspension kit do you have in mind? I've got a 2011 Offroad edition.[/quote]
Jeff, just stronger leafs and coils, same as had Milan installed on his rig.
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=samr1;6821]Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting an Xterra mostly as a family car and the occasional off-road adventure, I will still have my faithful JEEP. Is there a particular year or type you'd recommend? I'm looking at you caprihorse:loyal:[/quote]

If your getting it as a family car, then you wouldn't want to take it off-road often or on rough rides. Any healthy one that suits your budget would do, make sure this is the car you want for a family.. take it for a test drive on paved road and what ever else matters to you, ie gas consumption, ride quality, maintenance cost etc..