Xterra question

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=samr1;7684]nothing, even callind dealers they say thwy won't sell them[/quote]
Are you searching for this?
http://xterrafirma.com/owners_manuals/2 ... Xterra.pdf
samr1
Intermediate
Intermediate

My apologies, I meant manual transmission.

[quote=caprihorse;7686]Are you searching for this?
http://xterrafirma.com/owners_manuals/2 ... Xterra.pdf[/quote]
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

According to my knowledge, Xterra is coming in UAE with M/T and A/T, however when there is option with off-roading package it is coming only with A/T. However in Oman you can get off-road package with M/T. Strange, isn't it?
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Riadh;7010]Hi Jeff,
YES, As it's reported also in New Xterra forum some bolt get loose witch cose, with the sand between the leaves this sound. If we will rise the clearance of our cars by changing the suspension we will still have this sound. Milan also still having this sound in his car after lifting it up. When they change the suspension they don't change the original leaves of the car. But in other hand the original NISSAN suspension is weak (in my opinion and also according to the New Xterra forum) this why i want to change mine to Calmini suspension kit. I actually have a serious jumping problem in my rear wheels after the few offroading trips and when i took a look under my car last weekend i found that the ring that hold the leaves (it is a U shape metal piece that comes in the 1/3 of the leaf) is twisted witch mean that the leaves are not tightened to each other. And while driving i can hear this horrible sound (like hammering with tile hammer) and feel the rear of the car vibrating slightly to the left and to the right while i'm driving. I'm planing to take it to NISSAN this Saturday to figure out the problem but i can send you pix of what i think it might be the problem .[/quote]

Just my 2 cents on the leaf spring, and Caprihorse, please correct me if I am wrong please.

jeepers use a teflon pad between the leafs to reduce friction and the noise along with it. and it is not abnormal for the leafs to not be alligned on top of each other when the brace is loose or broken, since the leaf spring has to accomudate horizontal twists as well (when the tire is elevated on a hump or lowered in a ditch). The usual solution is a clamp or two that keep the leafs fairly alligned but has enough clearance to allow the spring to flex (extend)
The hamering noise could be a misalligned leaf, or twisted brace/clamp bumping into a body part when the spring is flexed (compressed) you can check the wheelwell and underbody for scratch or dent marks.
Please keep in mind the the stock spring leaf was made with road driving in mind, so it would be softer than its off-road cousin. This softness makes the ride comfortable. When the spring is stressed, it will lost its springiness over time, and if the spring leaf is weak, this happens faster.
A weak suspension will allow more of the vehicle weight to be transfered to the tyre, specially when cornering and cause difficulty in steering since the tyre is more likely to slip.
If your car has a rear sway bar, it might be worth checking for dents or worn bushings..