Hatta / Oman Boarder Closed

ginger
Intermediate
Intermediate

I can confirm that as of today, it is still possible to get through the ‘shell petrol station’ checkpoint (N24 49.560 E5556.160), which gives access to the wonderful mountains and wadis described by Rahulmuralee. It’s a magnificent area bounded by the mountains, and there is plenty of water in the wadis despite the temperatures!

For research purposes I also visited Hatta Pools which as always is covered in rubbish and graffiti, but is nevertheless impressive.

I then thought I’d try and exit out of the nearby checkpoint (N24 45.991 E56 9.963) straight down into Hatta the way we used to. I was told by a very pleasant guard that only GCC Nationals can cross in either direction through that checkpoint. So I had to retrace my route (some 50km) back through the mountains to exit via the 'Shell petrol station' checkpoint.
iJanab
Club Member
Club Member

Visited today and was refused entry by Omani checkpoint after shell fuel station and was advised (by not so friendly Omani guard) to use the route through Hatta town and this route is only for Omanis or people with Omani visas. Went to the Al Fay checkpoint and was advised (by a very friendly Emarati guard) to use the Omani checkpoint past Shell fuel station. So we thought we will give it one more try and went back, but again was advised either to come in from Hilli side by obtaining visa or get visa before hand.

We had our passports, Emirates IDs, Omani insurance cover with us but the chap at the check point didn't even bother looking at anything. Not sure if things would have been different if I was with family and not with two of my other mates. But not sure if I would waste another day on a unfruitful trip.. :(
Andre

Is there any update on Hatta accessibility? Or anyone succesfully getting in during EID? Thanks.
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
evoboy2016
Club Member
Club Member

Reconfirming that as on JAN 2016, the border guarded by the Oman Royal army was closed to expats. They said only uae nationals can pass through....