Dibba to Khasab drive - Oman

Detox

Thought I would create a post to gather the feedback....

I am planning a drive from Dibba (Oman side) to Khasab through the mountain road...
Have a few questions:

-Any issues with the border check point for heading to Khasab... I read that they turn expats away but not sure of its the ones heading to RAK or Khasab.

-Any recommendation for such a drive?

Planned route attached...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Detox;40436]Thought I would create a post to gather the feedback....

I am planning a drive from Dibba (Oman side) to Khasab through the mountain road...
Have a few questions:

-Any issues with the border check point for heading to Khasab... I read that they turn expats away but not sure of its the ones heading to RAK or Khasab.

-Any recommendation for such a drive?

Planned route attached...[/quote]
So far I know, you would need passport with valid Omani visa and car insurance, but check with Oman Embassy in Dubai. Yes, there is Omani border post in the middle of nowhere...
Detox

[quote=caprihorse;40438]So far I know, you would need passport with valid Omani visa and car insurance, but check with Oman Embassy in Dubai. Yes, there is Omani border post in the middle of nowhere...[/quote]

From what i gathered, if you have a residency in UAE then you just need t present you passport with the visa, if visiting UAE then passport with entry stamp...

In Dibba a permit is required to move between both sides (Oman and UAE) which the tour operator can obtain..

I am still getting mixed messages about this check point midway in the mountain road to Khasab but will keep you posted..
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hi

I'm going now and will get all the details. But initially, you can't do the full route to Khasab. You can do the route from either way but the army check point will return you back. Only Oman or Emirates local can pass through.

Will update you later
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hi everyone

I asked the Sharjah police in UAE border and he said that you need a permeation from Oman embassy or through one of the tour companies in Dibba Oman. I think it is easier to enter from Ras Al Khaimah. As I mentioned above that expatriates can drive only till the middle of the way and then drive back, only GCC are allowed with their mades to do the whole route.

[IMG] https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320xq ... Zdn7eI.jpg[/IMG]

I found this board on the way before the army check point

Best regards

P.S. : The whole route is amazing but not advisable for Un experienced 4x4 drivers or during rain.
ginger
Intermediate
Intermediate

I did just over 3/4's of this drive a couple of years ago , but I did it from Khasab towards Dibba. I then retraced my drive back up back over the mountain ( i think it's 2,200m high ) , and back into Khasab (where I was staying for the weekend).
It's a fascinating and awesome drive, but you'll need to use 4low on the way down with scary hairpin bend and huge drops by the side of the road -it's not a drive for the inexperienced or anyone afraid of heights!
C N Sreejith
Club Member
Club Member

I did part of this drive on 25 Dec 2014. Drove in from Khasab on Jebel Sayh road, exited partway through to explore, went up a hill with rocky roads near the exit point of Stairway to Heaven, cracked the sidewall of one tyre and returned. Quite a scenic drive. The section that I went through (with a Nissan Patrol), I don't think you need to use 4L in any place. Not sure about the rest of the section. Please bear in mind that H/T tyres are not good if you are exploring places outside the graded road. As usual, not to be done alone. On Google Maps, it looks like the most places are inhabited. But you won't see many people, except shepherds and farmhands. Even the farms are seasonal. The graded road tends to be quite dusty. Regular drivers on the route, mostly farm use pickups, go quite fast and raise a lot of dust. So, be prepared to stop when you encounter them. The dust can reduce visibility lower than a sand storm, but it settles down quickly.
Sacha
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi all,

Did this drive from Khasab last year. At the army check point I was told as UAE residents we could only continue on to Dibba (the road forks at that checkpoint). You need to be a UAE or Omani a National to go the Ras Al Khaimah way. Drive was really nice but maybe the rules have changed.
Hassanz

Sorry I am getting two messages.

Just to clear up so if you drive from Khasab with a omani visa from the RAK border, can you drive to other end, Dibba in this case ?
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

[quote=Hassanz;40632]Sorry I am getting two messages.

Just to clear up so if you drive from Khasab with a omani visa from the RAK border, can you drive to other end, Dibba in this case ?[/quote]

Dear Hassanz

Let us sort it this way " ONLY GCC " can cross from side to side.... NO ONE else.

Cheers