Removal of Catalytic Converter from Wrangler TJ.

yasir
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thanks all for valuable comments.

Error code displayed is P0431, Catalyst 2/1 efficiency below required level.
I already drive 6000 km with this error and never feel any problem, even driving with Almost every Friday.

Now looking the option of replacement or removal.
bobpavan
Intermediate
Intermediate

[quote=yasir;20933]Thanks all for valuable comments.

Error code displayed is P0431, Catalyst 2/1 efficiency below required level.
I already drive 6000 km with this error and never feel any problem, even driving with Almost every Friday.

Now looking the option of replacement or removal.[/quote]

if P0431 error code - Replace the oxygen sensor, Reprogram-ensure to check the new sensor is working while reprogramming and then it shud be fine.
bobpavan
Intermediate
Intermediate

[quote=Desert Lizard;20900]As far as I know of jeeps the cat itself won't throw an error code, but the O2 (Oxygen sensors) would. It would be far cheaper to replace the O2 sensor rather than the Cat itself.!! We need to know for sure. And don't dare pay 800Dhs for a sensor.. order it online..
[/quote]

DL...isn't it around AED1000 even if we order online... i mean for 4 sensors:048:
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=bobpavan;20937]if P0431 error code - Replace the oxygen sensor, Reprogram-ensure to check the new sensor is working while reprogramming and then it shud be fine.[/quote]

Not necessarily, the exhaust manifold could be craked or loose as well as sensors malfunctioning, or the cat platinum core is dead..
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=bobpavan;20938]DL...isn't it around AED1000 even if we order online... i mean for 4 sensors:048:[/quote]

I was refering to AED800 for 1 sensor.. that would be crazy..
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Catalysator is a big metallic device mounted on the exhaust pipes, more on the right passenger side underneath. It's only one. There is a cable coming from the sensor, sensor is screwed in and cable coming directly to car's computer. Forget any other O2 sensors, they are not related to this. P0431 (if there are not any other fault codes), is clearly indicating the problem area.

If you wish to make a test, and not to waste your money for unnecessary replacements suggested by amateurs, take similar car, next to yours, remove the working sensor from catalysator at exhaust pipes (passenger door down) and fix it instead of faulty sensor, connect the wiring and see if check engine light disappears on faulty car. I'm almost 99% sure, this will work. If check engine light is off, then you can invest 800 Dhs into a new sensor.
FSL

O2 sensors are cheaper online even including shipping...
http://www.jegs.com/i/Bosch/149/15730/10002/-1

even the cat converter is like 85-100 USD