Removal of Catalytic Converter from Wrangler TJ.

yasir
Intermediate
Intermediate

I need advice for the garage who can remove or replace Catalytic converter from my Jeep Wrangler 2006.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=yasir;20875]I need advice for the garage who can remove or replace Catalytic converter from my Jeep Wrangler 2006.[/quote]
Removing is not allowed by law, when you disconnect it, you'll receive Check Engine alarm. If you want to replace, with what do you want to replace it?
yasir
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi Capri!
Agency recommend to replace CAT during last service and Engine Check light is already ON. If removal is not allowed then looking for duplicate CAT as the original is very expensive.
ace84

Hi Yaser

you can go to any exhaust garage and get the cats removed. but keep in mind the sound will get very loud, and as caprihorse mentioned you will have the check engine light on in the dashboard but you can that fixed by getting the computer reprogrammed. or just remove the light from behind the gauges :011:...
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=yasir;20882]Hi Capri!
Agency recommend to replace CAT during last service and Engine Check light is already ON. If removal is not allowed then looking for duplicate CAT as the original is very expensive.[/quote]
I had this case with Cherokee before. It was enough just replace the sensor, around 800 Dhs (I did replace it myself in 5 minutes). Additionally it may be broken cable or disconnected at cat section. Bent your back and check... Agency may even suggest you to replace the whole engine and gearbox, to fix it...

If you have check engine light on, can you read the error code? There are some guides, how to read the error code for your car, without diagnostic equipment (switching on and off the key, pressing brake pedal x times, etc...). Just Google for it.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=ace84;20884]Hi Yaser

you can go to any exhaust garage and get the cats removed. but keep in mind the sound will get very loud, and as caprihorse mentioned you will have the check engine light on in the dashboard but you can that fixed by getting the computer reprogrammed. or just remove the light from behind the gauges :011:...[/quote]
If the check engine is on on any car, it is running in emergency mode, not on a full power. If you remove catalysator, your car will never pass through Tasjeel. To reprogram a car's computer requires the deep knowledge in car's BIOS. Can you do this? Removing the bulb, does not bring the car's computer out of the emergency mode...
Sandskull
Intermediate
Intermediate

[quote=caprihorse;20892] Agency may even suggest you to replace the whole engine and gearbox, to fix it...[/quote]

:like::011::011::011:
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am a fan of tinkering with the car, as opposed to Professor Caprihorse's conservative approach :011:. I have no doubt that he is right, but there few things more satisfying than doing something naughty and getting away with it :devilish:

I don't see any issue with car registration if the cat is removed!! All our cherokees have lost their cat a long time ago and no issue with registration. We have installed a small straight through muffler in it's place and the sound is no issue, neither is the CO2/CO1 emission. As long as the engine is behaving normally (air/fuel mixture and compustion are normal), there is no real problem.

Another option is to cut open the CAT and remove the innards. This will get rid of a clogged cat problem if you have any.. but!!!

Having said that, I would really like to know 2 things before you do anything else:
1- Why is the check engine light on? Any error codes, or DTC or OBDII codes as they are comminly known.
2- Why does the cat need replacement as per the agency? If your cat is fine, then you won't gain power by removing it..It is possible that the agency is following some maintenance schedule for replacement.

As far as I know of jeeps the cat itself won't throw an error code, but the O2 (Oxygen sensors) would. It would be far cheaper to replace the O2 sensor rather than the Cat itself.!! We need to know for sure. And don't dare pay 800Dhs for a sensor.. order it online..

Are you having any problems with the car?
what's the milage on the car itself?
is it an american import?
Does the exhaust gas smell very bad, like rotten eggs?
The more details you provide the better advise you will get..
strawb
Golden Member
Golden Member

get a BORLA and crash the sand dunes man!

VROOM VROOM!!!
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

The TJ has three cats in 2 different places , first one is a small barrel shape connected to the main exhaust ( big ) barrel, this one can be remover totally and replaced by a straight pip . the other 2 cats are just under the manifold and they look like balls , those ones should be cut open and remove the innards . this can be done at any exhaust shop , after removing you can take the car to a garage and have a computer check which will determine the status of the sensors , and have a reset for the whole system .
What goes around , comes around .