What did you do today?

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=MaddieTJ;23965]Marshals and fellow almosters,
What do you use for a flagpole?
And where can I get my flag?[/quote]

Guys, your post is out of the subject in this thread. Will it be possible, to ask your questions somewhere else in this forum, e.g. Off-roading, Bazaar, Safety, etc...., or open a new thread?
Nbaker
Intermediate
Intermediate

Took the Big Black Bull for it's 20k service this Saturday...getting ready for it's first intermediate trip :028:
Bu-Shahid
Intermediate
Intermediate

Awaiting a new trip announcement ....:028:
Maddie

I recently bought the 'Black Magic' off a friend.
All engine leaks were fixed before that including a heavy duty clutch installation.
At first sight, it seemed sound mechanically, needed a coat of paint maybe?
Unusual rattles I thought. Well, time to get my own set of tools.

First thing i did, cleaned out the KN Intake. Yuck, was that engine dirty or what.
Second, took it to Al Sir Service station opposite Althiqah handicapped club on Emirates road for a really good engine wash.
Third, took it to Adnoc for Silver oil change and a Mopar oil filter.

:025:

Then tied up all wires, pipes and vacuum lines with wire ties.

At 10 mpg, i thought I cant afford it anymore!!! And it would take a long time to start and the engine ran rich.

Mr. Bombo was giving me 28mpg after all. :029:

Researched the net, especially www.jeepforum.com where i found the answer, CLEAN the Throttle Body and the Intake air control valve.

With my limited mechanical skills, a 15 dirham can of Carburetor Cleaner, a few basic tools, lots of enthusiasm and an hour later ...

The whole engine sounds better even with the Flowmaster Exhaust, idles amazing, and almost immediately starts.

I should've clicked some pics of all the sludge !!!!

And Maddie, the Black Magic and Mr. Bombo lived happily ever after, till the first Newbie Drive that is .... :011:

Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi guys

I decided it was time to change my manual gearbox and transfer case fluids on my Jeep JK 2012.

It only have done 25000km on the Jeep and it is WAY before the manual calls for the service. I just thought we drive hard at high rpm for extended periods in very high temperatures, so it cant hurt.

Boy am i glad i did, the gearbox only had 1,2 litres in it and i put 2,2 litres back in...... I guess i could have just topped it up, but i wanted to see how dirty/black the old oil was. The drain plug has a strong magnet on it to collect all the fine metal chips out of the oil, and i wanted to inspect..... It old oil was OK, just very low quantity. The gear box feels smoother and gear changes are a little smoother now.

I used this to do the job:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups ... on-service

and

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?5383 ... se-Service

I used the recommended fluids from Jeep.

The job took about 1 1/2 hours, including some 'help' from my 2 1/2 year old daughter........ so it would probably take about 1 hour with no help..... :)

You need to make a tool to remove the transmission drain plug. If anyone wants to borrow mine, they are welcome.

Regards
Paul
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=pwood;25563]Hi guys

I decided it was time to change my manual gearbox and transfer case fluids on my Jeep JK 2012.

It only have done 25000km on the Jeep and it is WAY before the manual calls for the service. I just thought we drive hard at high rpm for extended periods in very high temperatures, so it cant hurt.

Boy am i glad i did, the gearbox only had 1,2 litres in it and i put 2,2 litres back in...... I guess i could have just topped it up, but i wanted to see how dirty/black the old oil was. The drain plug has a strong magnet on it to collect all the fine metal chips out of the oil, and i wanted to inspect..... It old oil was OK, just very low quantity. The gear box feels smoother and gear changes are a little smoother now.

I used this to do the job:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups ... on-service

and

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?5383 ... se-Service

I used the recommended fluids from Jeep.

The job took about 1 1/2 hours, including some 'help' from my 2 1/2 year old daughter........ so it would probably take about 1 hour with no help..... :)

You need to make a tool to remove the transmission drain plug. If anyone wants to borrow mine, they are welcome.

Regards
Paul[/quote]

Great Paul, however what about differentials, it's the same oil grade and similarly loaded in a desert as gear box... I did change all my liquids now, after 50K km.
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi Capri

Diffs done twice..... At re-gear and 1000km later.

Good point though.

Regards
Paul
Maddie

Busy day today,

Got the roof and tub on the TJ soundproofed and heatproofed.

Fabricated a luggage carrier, bolted on to the rear tow points.

And got the oil changed too.

5000 km round trrip next week, heading to makkah for Umra.
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi

In your Jeep?

regards
Paul
Fat Rabbit

[quote=pwood;25563]The drain plug has a strong magnet on it to collect all the fine metal chips out of the oil,[/quote]

The last time I had my diff oils inspected by Liberty Autos (their service centre), there was a whole lot of metal slush on the magnet. But when i'm on 2H or 4H, I dont hear any sounds coming from vehicle. Any reason why this metal build up comes? Whats grinding it down?

Thanks,
Fab Rabbit
Where the road ends, the enjoyment begins..
With Natalie, a 2-door beige Nissan Patrol Safari