Winch wiring ?

caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=pwood;11923]Hi

What when the driver smells rotten??

Paul[/quote]
Burned, undersized, check the consumption of amps, they should not only be rotten, but also hot...
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=pwood;11923]Hi

What when the driver smells rotten??

Paul[/quote]

Give him a soap bar, hose him down with a fire hydrant then hand him some deodorant. Otherwise you can drench him in petrol and light him up. Both options are fun for everyone else. :011:
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi guys

Thanks to all...... But what about my original question.....

I actually know about the amp draw of most winches being +400A
This current needs to come from somewhere. The altinator can probably supply somewhere around 100A, so the rest comes from the battery..... This for the time needed to move the stuck car is huge.

The question was, what sort of in-cab switches and controles are needed.
Warn instructions have the wires from the battery (with no fuse or circuit breaker) directly to the winch.
the only control is via a wired or radio remote control.

So, is a switchable circuit breaker enough to permanently switch off the winch on non driving days?

Do you rely on the remote control, which is only triggering the solinoids in the winch?

Are in -cab trigger switches ok, or should you wire in an extra switch/solinoids to turn the entire winch on/off?

Regards
Paul
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=pwood;11931]Hi guys

Warn instructions have the wires from the battery (with no fuse or circuit breaker) directly to the winch.

So, is a switchable circuit breaker enough to permanently switch off the winch on non driving days?

Do you rely on the remote control, which is only triggering the solinoids in the winch?

l[/quote]

1- Cabin switches are not needed and not practical since you need to be outside the car when using the winch, hence the remote control. Moreover, the winch will not draw current if not activated.
2- Switchable circuit breaker will do, but badly, since it take more time than a fuse to act. However, since the winch is outside the car AND it is a heavy duty equipment the battery's current is not likely to harm it.
3- The solenoid is a relay, so no high voltage is passing through the remote, even if wired.

anything else sir?
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=pwood;11931]Hi guys

Thanks to all...... But what about my original question.....

I actually know about the amp draw of most winches being +400A
This current needs to come from somewhere. The altinator can probably supply somewhere around 100A, so the rest comes from the battery..... This for the time needed to move the stuck car is huge.

Are in -cab trigger switches ok, or should you wire in an extra switch/solinoids to turn the entire winch on/off?

Regards
Paul[/quote]
Paul, let's talk about this small issue tomorrow...
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi DL

Thanks for the replies.

Considering this was to 'future froof' any wiring job I do now....I understand:

While doing my wiring and switching for my lights, I dont need to bother with any wiring or switches for a winch.

A winch has its own wiring and stand alone controls, nothing needed in-cab.

If a winch is ever installed..... I would need a more powerful alt, better battery, possible dual battery and some suitable wiring between them all.

Jeep batteries are known to explode.......hehehehe

Thanks guys

Regards
Paul
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi Capri

Yes, would love to chat about this.

Regards
Paul