Winch wiring ?

Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi guys

I am planning to install some switches and wires for some lights for my Jeep.

I would like to 'allow for the future' with regards to the wiring.... so

I have the instructions for the Warn winches. They have the winch directly wired to the battery and the only control is via the wired remote control OR the radio remote control. There is also no fuse protection on the wires.

I have seen pictures on the internet of people having dashboard switches to power the winch and to winch in/out.

What is the best method?
Is the dash switches just a hard wire of the remote system?

I assume the winch is overload protected, but surely a fuse/circuit breaker to protect the wire and ultimately the winch would be a good idea?

What else should i know????

Regards
Paul
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=pwood;11862]Hi guys

I am planning to install some switches and wires for some lights for my Jeep.

I would like to 'allow for the future' with regards to the wiring.... so

I have the instructions for the Warn winches. They have the winch directly wired to the battery and the only control is via the wired remote control OR the radio remote control. There is also no fuse protection on the wires.

I have seen pictures on the internet of people having dashboard switches to power the winch and to winch in/out.

What is the best method?
Is the dash switches just a hard wire of the remote system?

I assume the winch is overload protected, but surely a fuse/circuit breaker to protect the wire and ultimately the winch would be a good idea?

What else should i know????

Regards
Paul[/quote]
Paul, you touched here a very delicate thin ice area. The winch installation is not only about wires thickness, relays and fuses. It is a matter to completely change your electrical installation and install second battery with additional charging equipment. Google about it and you'll see what experts have to say.
In many cases that I know, if winch is installed to the existing battery, the battery dies after few uses...
FSL

Also i think since winch is not used for a longer duration of time as compared to the offroad lights so i really don't see a comparison here.
Just my personal thought...
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=FSL;11872]Also i think since winch is not used for a longer duration of time as compared to the offroad lights so i really don't see a comparison here.
Just my personal thought...[/quote]
  1. High Ampere usage can kill the battery within minutes, causing the shortcut inside the battery between lead plates
  2. Fully discharged battery needs several hours to restore the original power, normally it means you need to drive with speed over 70 km/h over several hours or to put the battery on the high power charger
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

I have personally seen a stock Wrangler battery actually explode one night while the winch was being used.

You will HAVE to get a dual battery setup and have deep cycle batteries, a higher capacity alternator and all the supporting wiring etc.

Installing a winch and running on the original battery is an accident waiting to happen !
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi guys

Ohhhh, more than I thought.

Thanks

Regards
paul
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=pwood;11915]Hi guys

Ohhhh, more than I thought.

Thanks

Regards
paul[/quote]
Yes, we know :011:
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi

Know what.... The more part OR the thought part ????

:005:

Paul
Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

Think about your car starter. When the ignition switch is turned on, almost all the battery power goes to the starter (an electric motor) to allow it to turn your engine into starting.. That is some heavy load and you will notice all lights dimming while the starter is "cranking". Now imagine how much power will a winch pulling 1.5 to 2.0 tonnes need!!

The battery is essentially an energy store. It does not create energy (nothing does) and the energy flows out as current. A small current needs a long time to drain the battery while a huge current will do the job much faster. In addition, the high current will increase temperature significantly and lead to nasty things such as explosions.

The explosion is due to the release of hydrogen (think flaming zeppelin) from the battery. That is why it is never a good idea to smoke while working with a battery, specially if it smells "rotten"
Paul
Advance
Advance

Hi

What when the driver smells rotten??

Paul