Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Wheels not turning when stuck

SKALK

Hi Guys,

I have been pondering on the following for a few weeks now and still not found any reliable source or reasonable explanation online. So let me try my thoughts and experience here...

The first time I took the jeep out I noticed that in the case of getting stuck on dune inclines the vehicle cannot get going, (even backwards, set gear 4x4 High). I have the engine spinning at 3000rpm but after the initial inertia of trying to move I end up with no wheel spin. This cannot be right, right wut ? It should at least spin the wheels even if it only digs in deeper. So where is all the power going if there is no wheel spin, and why it is limiting the rpm?

What I am trying to get to if this is a mechanical issue or is this a normal where the electronics of the vehicle interferes?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Regards

SKALK
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

Traction control and ABS systems will keep kicking in even though the TCS is disabled by the long press on the dashboard switch.
You need to fix a " kill switch " that disables the electronic systems completely .

Another piece of advice is when you get stuck , always shift to 4 L ( low range ) before you attempt the self recovery process .
What goes around , comes around .
SKALK

Abu Jimmy ,

Thank you for your feedback.

I thought that might be the case... The guys have showed me which fuse to remove as a temporary fix and since then I've not had the opportunity to actually see what difference it makes and do a proper evaluation.

As you've mentioned, once I do put it in 4L the power pushes through to the wheels and started building traction but this is not the case in 4H the RPM's freeze and no power is distributed. I assume this is just trail and error and building the experience....

[mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention] , appreciate the support and knowledge.

In case I find myself in another pickle have a nice day ... I'll report back with my findings.

Cheers!

Regards,

SKALK
presa
Marshal
Marshal

SKALK wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:27 pm Abu Jimmy ,

Thank you for your feedback.

I thought that might be the case... The guys have showed me which fuse to remove as a temporary fix and since then I've not had the opportunity to actually see what difference it makes and do a proper evaluation.

As you've mentioned, once I do put it in 4L the power pushes through to the wheels and started building traction but this is not the case in 4H the RPM's freeze and no power is distributed. I assume this is just trail and error and building the experience....

@Abu Jimmy , appreciate the support and knowledge.

In case I find myself in another pickle have a nice day ... I'll report back with my findings.

Cheers!

Regards,

SKALK
This is the Traction Control getting in. Fix a killer switch and you won't have this problem anymore.
SKALK

@Presa,

Done and dusted! Appreciate the feedback.

Regards,

SKALK
presa
Marshal
Marshal

[quote=SKALK post_id=48882 time=1533543842 user_id=13280]
@Presa,

Done and dusted! Appreciate the feedback.

Regards,

SKALK
[/[ment[mention]presa[/mention]

Cool!
You will notice huge improvement when sliding and climbing!
SKALK

Hi All,

If you look at the following video you would see that my Jeep is engaged in 4H with kills switch on - so no Traction and no ABS.

For some reason, not all wheels are turning... I have not idea why. Any comments?? O_O

Much appreciated!

Video Link -

Regards,

SKALK
presa
Marshal
Marshal

If you don't have a center differential locker this will happen. The jeepers from Almost will knows better wich trim has - or not - lock differential.

This will happen always when you have an open differential, the rim with less traction will be the one that will move. Check the wiki below to understand how the differential works.

This is when you need to lock the differential.

Watch the video that you will have a great understanding on the difference it will make. But please notice that a (good) traction control with ABS will simulate a differential locker, so in this particular case you might just turn on the traction control and check if it will help!

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locking_differential
Youtube:

Another idea is to upgrade for a Toyota and get its crawling control/ATRAC :)
JockJKU
Club Member
Club Member

Only rubicon comes with diff locks. You can add air lockers or electric lockers if you want to add them, but pretty pricey.
SKALK

[mention]Booy[/mention] , [mention]JockJKU[/mention] & [mention]presa[/mention] thumbsup

Thank you for the great explanation, I'm learning something new every day!

Looking forward to the next drive.

Cheers!