Wrangler JL: How to disable completely stability control and traction control?

AdrianUAE

Hello to All,

How to disable completely stability control and traction control on jeep wrangler JL??

Disabling traction and stability control is almost a must for desert driving.

I understand that pressing on the traction control will disable it and if you press longer (more than 5 seconds) on the traction control will also disable the stability control (but NOT completely).

My observations were:

1. When driving over a certain speed, I think 50 km/h, the stability control will be enabled back on until you lower your speed.
So I guess my question is how to fully disable it regardless of the speed in 4 hi

2. I have noticed that even when attempting to climb a big dune in 4 lo, the control kicks in ( i feel it and heart it) despite that everywhere I read that in 4 lo all traction and stability controls are off by default.

Any thoughts and Solutions?

Let me know please
mpodroid
media
media

AdrianUAE wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:17 pm

Let me know please
Hi AdrianUAE

I have a JL Rubicon and my experience is:
  • Keep traction control pressed for 10 seconds: at first traction control is disabled, then also ESP
  • A light indicator on dashboard confirms it
  • As long as you drive in 4H, traction control is not re-enabled, even at higher speed
  • If you switch from 4LO to 4HI, yes, traction control is re-enabled and you have to repeat the first step
Hope it helps
Marco
If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.
Rune's Rule
Murphy's Law
Bu Zayed
Intermediate
Intermediate

AdrianUAE wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:17 pm Hello to All,

How to disable completely stability control and traction control on jeep wrangler JL??

Disabling traction and stability control is almost a must for desert driving.

I understand that pressing on the traction control will disable it and if you press longer (more than 5 seconds) on the traction control will also disable the stability control (but NOT completely).

My observations were:

1. When driving over a certain speed, I think 50 km/h, the stability control will be enabled back on until you lower your speed.
So I guess my question is how to fully disable it regardless of the speed in 4 hi

2. I have noticed that even when attempting to climb a big dune in 4 lo, the control kicks in ( i feel it and heart it) despite that everywhere I read that in 4 lo all traction and stability controls are off by default.

Let me know please
Hello Adrian,

I used to have a full article here in the forum about disabling the traction control on a JK before the forum crashed last year.

Anyway, first of all on a jeep wrangler there are 3 levels to disable the ESC/ABS:
1- Press one time on the ESC off switch ( will disable the system by 40%) the system will kick in depending on the drive.
2- Pressing the same switch for 10sec (will disable the system by 70%) the system will kick in depending on the drive.
3- Remove fuse F100 + F106 (the system will be 100% disabled and wont kick in during the drive) or make a kill switch by yourself (I did myself for my JK) or a garage to be able to switch on and off the system from inside the car.

Disabling the ESC/ABS fully is a must when offroading. You don't want the system to kick in while you do a high dune wall and cause you to rollover.

Switching to 4L will automatically disable the system by 70% but please do not use the 4L gear unless you are stuck. drive always on 4H.

I will search more on the subject and advice you with my findings when I have time.

Regards,
Bu Zayed
AdrianUAE

Hi @BuZayed and [mention]mpodroid[/mention]
thanks for all the replies.

after evaluating all the different options, in my opinion, the most efficient and easiest solution is to install a kill switch inside the car.

I've heard from various club members that the price for this installation is going to be around 250 Dirhams.

Regards

Adrian