Offroad Tyres

pradodxb

Hi [MENTION=8718]MOMO[/MENTION]

I remembered you had started this thread when I saw bu Salem install the same bfgoodrichs on megaton. He had a lot of praise for it. Talk to him before you sell them. I even remember asking him about how come him being a patron of cooper tires was running bf Goodrich. He explained about the grip....and I replied to him that MOMO was thinking of selling his oem bf Goodrich on the fj.

Eitherways have a ve a chat with him.

Cheers....
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

pradodxb;40160 wrote:Hi @MOMO

I remembered you had started this thread when I saw bu Salem install the same bfgoodrichs on megaton. He had a lot of praise for it. Talk to him before you sell them. I even remember asking him about how come him being a patron of cooper tires was running bf Goodrich. He explained about the grip....and I replied to him that MOMO was thinking of selling his oem bf Goodrich on the fj.

Eitherways have a ve a chat with him.

Cheers....
Thank you [MENTION=3146]pradodxb[/MENTION] your message is forwarded to [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION]
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Dear Members

Marshals would always recommend what they have experienced through the club based on what they see worked good on each car. FJ was the best with Cooper H/T. Patrol is good with BF because it behaves like Wrangler, when I tried Cooper on my patrol it didn't work although it is perfect on other cars like FJ, prado & Pathfinder.

Never the less, the members have the full right to take our advice or leave it, each member has different perspective or budget.

Best regards
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Dave
Advance
Advance

alshamsi_m;40173 wrote:Dear Members

Marshals would always recommend what they have experienced through the club based on what they see worked good on each car. FJ was the best with Cooper H/T. Patrol is good with BF because it behaves like Wrangler, when I tried Cooper on my patrol it didn't work although it is perfect on other cars like FJ, prado & Pathfinder.

Never the less, the members have the full right to take our advice or leave it, each member has different prospective or budget.

Best regards
Not sure I want my Patrol to behave like a Wrangler........!!!:oh noes:
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Dave;40179 wrote:Not sure I want my Patrol to behave like a Wrangler........!!!:oh noes:

Well Dave.... I'm really looking forward to see your car in higher drives and how far you can take it with our style of driving ... if passes all the test ... You never know ... I might follow you too :yarr:
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yesterday I fixed Cooper Discoverer H/T on my FJ Cruiser and on the way back to home, I hit a sand area having 32PSI pressure. I was surprised of the difference. With my BF Goodrich in the same area my RPM would go higher and the engine screaming and the car struggling to move forward. With Cooper the car was floating and didn't felt the loss of power. So I am very excited to try them in the desert.

I only got golden advises from founders and marshals. Without offending them, sometimes it is matter of time, budget or surroundings thoughts that doesn't allows to follow on time. Following their advises is a smart way to learn, to save money and time.

Now let's talk seriously: @Dave Special offers are made to Emirates crew. In case you still hesitating.
@alshamsi_m We have good talent in marketing we should make good use of it. :thumbsup:

Regards to all,
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

Dave;40179 wrote:Not sure I want my Patrol to behave like a Wrangler........!!!:oh noes:
Dave you know that isn't true!! :ORLY:
Green Giant
Intermediate
Intermediate

alshamsi_m;40173 wrote:Dear Members

Never the less, the members have the full right to take our advice or leave it, each member has different prospective or budget.

Best regards
Although I have never owned an FJ, I tried Cooper STT and BFG All Terrain TA on my TJ. The BFG were an improvement on the STT however are now relatively old technology when it comes to tyres. There are a number of tyre reviews on various off road forums around (mainly US). I have (on recommendation) just had my JKU fitted with Kumho Road Venturer AT, and I have to say I am very impressed so far. They are light, have a good tread pattern for sand use and are quiet on the road. So far so good. Armin also has these tyres, but the recommendation came from elsewhere. And they are about 650dhs for 285/70/17s.

As Shamsi says, personal choice against driving style. But blaming your tyres for getting stuck is perhaps an excuse ....................... Keep the sand flying. :slow:
Abu Jimmy
Marshal
Marshal

Every off-road driver has his strength and weakness points which results a unique driving style that requires a certain balance of the car - driver equation .

Regardless the on-road / of-road compromise The tyre tread impacts the off-road driving as foolowing :-

H/T tires :- ( ​Smooth tread & light weight )

This tyre will enhance speed and momentum as it floats over the sand it works best for fast paced Rally style driving & big dunes climbing . On the other hand they have minimal grip and they tend to slip ( slide ) on side slopes and side crests spesially when you dont have enough speed ( Technical small & meduim dune areas ) , another disadvantage is side cresting the very big and huge dunes as you will not be able to reduce speed to safe cresting speed without sliding .

M/T tiers :- (Agressive tread & Heavy weight )

This tyre will enhance overall control as they shovel the sand giving great grip. They work best in areas where building speed & momentum is not an option ( Technical dunes , sharp crests and ditches ) in addition to the ability of side cresting in low speed very safely . Their heavy weight will result several disadvantages such as extra load on drive train ( axels , shafts , engine & transmission ) , you will have to deflate to less than 5 psi to get a longer tyre print and building speed & momentum will be hard due to tires weight & load as you will feel the loss of power on big climbs and fast trails .

A/T tiers :-

Its a compromise between the above mentioned H/T & MT tires nevertheless their performance will vary depending on the vehicles wheel base , weight , suspension ...etc.

Finally its up to the driver to determine what works for him and his car best although this may cost him time , effort & money .
What goes around , comes around .
momo
Golden Member
Golden Member

Green Giant;40218 wrote:Although I have never owned an FJ, I tried Cooper STT and BFG All Terrain TA on my TJ. The BFG were an improvement on the STT however are now relatively old technology when it comes to tyres. There are a number of tyre reviews on various off road forums around (mainly US). I have (on recommendation) just had my JKU fitted with Kumho Road Venturer AT, and I have to say I am very impressed so far. They are light, have a good tread pattern for sand use and are quiet on the road. So far so good. Armin also has these tyres, but the recommendation came from elsewhere. And they are about 650dhs for 285/70/17s.

As Shamsi says, personal choice against driving style. But blaming your tyres for getting stuck is perhaps an excuse ....................... Keep the sand flying. :slow:
Dear Green Giant,

Thank you for sharing your experience over here. There is a big choice of tires on the market and prices vary too. BF Goodrich remains one of the remarkable brand in the off-road community and they have good reputation in our club on some cars. As mentioned many times, with some tires you have good performance, with others you have it less or sometimes you struggle. Getting stuck in sand is definitely not the tire mistake but the driver...
Now hopefully my BF Goodrich would find soon a new beast.

Hope to see you soon,

Regards,