Advice on Land Cruiser 4.7 V8

googloid
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi group, I wanted to know what the pro's think of the LC 4.7 V8. Is it formidable enough to handle explorer trips in the hands of a driver with the right skills and experience? Also how about for a newbie, can one really learn the intricacies of offroad desert driving in it. The 5.7 V8 is also available now I see, is it really worth the extra buck in terms of desert driving?

Any thots will be appreciated.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

googloid;1506 wrote:Hi group, I wanted to know what the pro's think of the LC 4.7 V8. Is it formidable enough to handle explorer trips in the hands of a driver with the right skills and experience? Also how about for a newbie, can one really learn the intricacies of offroad desert driving in it. The 5.7 V8 is also available now I see, is it really worth the extra buck in terms of desert driving?

Any thots will be appreciated.

Land Cruiser 4.7 V8 is just a great car, with a powerfull torque (420NM) at 270HP, very often used in desert driving, almost same power as Pathfinder M/T:051: The tyres are coming with 17" 285 as standard. It is availabale as M/T and A/T. It is used in desert almost without modifications.
Sequoia is 5.7 V8 with torque of 555NM at 381HP; this looks like very powerful car, however I didn't see it in desert yet.

Regarding the cost, LC is on the top, comparing with Nissan Xterra, FJ, Wrangler or Nissan Super Safari. FJ and Wrangler needs lots of modifications to drive well and be powerfull, where Nissan can be used almost as coming straight from the shop.
All here mentioned cars can definitely handle eplorer advanced trips if driven by experienced driver. Newbie needs just to have lots of practice and frequent driving in any car to learn how to conquer dunes. If the car cannot manage this way, he has to find other way, not to stay in back :023: The car is never to be blamed, just the driver has to see what's wrong and can bvlame himself...
It is just your decision how much you want to spend on your toy. :057:
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

Capri is write......it is the man behind gun.
In my opinion the SWB (short wheel base) vehicals are best suited or desert. the selection of vehical depends on the terrain you will drive it. the LWB are much more stable than SWB.
Angle of approach and angel of departure should be consider while selecting vehical for offroad.
The more both angles the less are chances of damage to the front and rear of vehical.
HP and Torque are having much importance too.

The rest will tell you the MARSHALS,

Thanks and regards
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

Capri is write......it is the man behind gun.
In my opinion the SWB (short wheel base) vehicals are best suited for desert. the selection of vehical depends on the terrain you will drive it. the LWB are much more stable than SWB.
Angle of approach and angel of departure should be consider while selecting vehical for offroad.
The more both angles the less are chances of damage to the front and rear of vehical.
HP and Torque are having much importance too.

The rest will tell you the MARSHALS,

Thanks and regards
googloid
Golden Member
Golden Member

What do you think of this... formidable enough? I like the fact that it is modified by Al Futtaim and hence comes with 5 year unlimited mileage warranty :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph_O9gFq ... r_embedded
googloid
Golden Member
Golden Member

What do you think of this... formidable enough? I like the fact that it is modified by Al Futtaim and hence comes with 5 year unlimited mileage warranty :))
[video=youtube;Ph_O9gFq0WQ][/video]
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

The video is not very convincing to show capabilities of Land Cruiser, as it was probaly shot at Al Awir Hyundai/Kia track :011:

If you want really see something convincing, look at following, which was recorded at Liwa, our seasonal top playground :033:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me30sXH1 ... re=related
googloid
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice... Nissan is power aint it? :)) I think the V8 5.7 LC will be pretty powerful too.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

googloid;1792 wrote:Nice... Nissan is power aint it? :)) I think the V8 5.7 LC will be pretty powerful too.
I don't think so, probably Sequoia was designed as a powerful, comfortable family car, to accommodate many children :057: It is dedicated for American market mostly, to compete with large SUV from GMC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Sequoia
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello all

I'll share my experiance with you guys about the 4.7 I have 2008 model ... It is a powerful car so I think 5.7 will be undifeatable.. But the new shap of the land crusier has a major problem with the front pamper ... It it got hit once then it will be realy difficult to make it back as before ... 90% of the safari companies are using the V6 so imagin the V8 ?? You will need to change both pumpers before you really think go off-roading .... On the other hand you have V6 prado which could be as powerful as 5.7 considaring the wight and ratioue .. My advice keep you prado and change the suspension, front pumper and drive it like you stale it :)
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills