Back to Liwa

Arminjune
Advance
Advance

Couldn't have spent two days and a half any better way the way I did this weekend. perfect.

Arrived at camp midnight on Thursdays:
fire made, food ready, high spirit by all even we were tiered.
only complain for first night was I slept in my car for first time, and was wondering when it will brake. so I almost didn't sleep, and was dead tiered for second day.

Second day: started right on time early. Amazing dunes and track, one stuck, mom asked me not to tell anyone so sorry, can't share that info... few second tries and after a while Geni told me she is surprised no one got pop out, and right then there it happened, I got two popouts in a pro level why, I managed to teach all different ways of fixing pop out in one go to intermediates. we did about 180Km and reached camp dead tiered around 7. I think by then we were all ready to go to bed, few survived till 11am. but I can tell you this, we all slept like babies in nursery.

Day two: a Fly decided to fly in my throat directly. it was Advance if not marshal Fly. not many people know, but I kind of couldn't breath, felt like choking, first cough and spit, nothing, second cough it came out with my spit from my throat. I tried to save him but he was too deep inside. and few of his bodies did try to rescue him, they did not succeed. and we learned new way of recovery for that, to get fly out I need to swallow a spider.

The track was Awesome, remix of everything. and bu salim never disappoint in his leads. specially in Liwa. the fact that we had way to many second tries by most drivers shows that it was not that easy. we did have great challenges. we had one stuck on second day, and I'm not going to say who, but since we have diversity of cars, and it will be hard for you two know which one, I'm going to say it was KIA.

@Mark B for the soup.
@fida for lamb, it was really kind of you to bring and cook for us.
@Zorro for ........ :D
@orlantsev for saving the camp sport till we get there.
@
Eric for being patient with me till I find the camp sight.
@hailun for watermelon seeds, but please next time i prefer to eat the water melon my self :P
@
fadi for being born in Germany :P
@Matt for getting lost and making me not to be the last person in the camp.
@Daggerfall for buying FJ.
@momo for keeping us safe with his lit up cones so no plane will land on us.
@
Rashidjass for floating all over.
@
Yoghybear for sweaping, I know its not easy thing to do, it need patience.
@alshamsi_m for everything A to Z
@Melfi for being great company.

you can see some of the photos in my Desert adventure album here:
https://www.facebook.com/armin.mahdi.3/ ... nref=story
ZaheR
Intermediate
Intermediate

great repot @Arminjune thank you. I am thrilling to experience that in the future.

edit: [MENTION=1687]Arminjune[/MENTION] , i can't access photos on your FB profile.
orlantsev
Advance
Advance

The long-awaited Liwa trip has finally arrived. I could not join the first day, but was very glad to be given an opportunity to join the 2-nd night camp and the next day drive. I left Dubai at around 1.30 pm and reached the last petrol station at around 4.30 pm. Filled up the jerry can and made last few phone calls as I was not sure of the mobile reception further into the desert. Next was the deflation point, than the gate and finally I reached the camp coordinates on my own. What a view it was. Just before the sunset and no one was around. I really enjoyed that 30 minutes of quite time with myself and the nature. Based on Facebook posts from earlier that day I knew that the Almosters had woken up and had breakfast at which point the updates stopped. I could not reach anyone on the phone, and being not sure there was no change in plan I decided not to set up permanently. Instead I read the newspaper I bought on the way. At around 7.30 pm I heard the roar of engines which confirmed to me I was at the right place. The camp was quickly set, but it was obvious that everybody was tired from the long night before and day of driving. So by around 10 pm half went to bed. This night was the first time I tested my car ‘bed solution’ and glad to report it works great. I could easily stretch out. I left one of the windows open, so I could have some fresh breeze coming inside. I used one soft beach mat. While for some it could be hard, for me it was just fine. Perhaps next time I would only take the second pillow. In the morning the sand was a bit wet, so we started at 9.30 am. I started the drive at 10 psi, but after the second attempt I realized I needed to deflate more as I realized the tire pressure by that time was already 12 psi. From memory we had 2 pop-outs and a few second tries (I think half of them were mine). I am still trying to find the right balance between the use of 1st and 2nd gear for the big climbs with a long run up. After one of those I ‘flew’. Since the radio also ‘flew’ I could not report on time that both me and car were fine. I really think the FJ is un-destructible.
I liked the track because there were some flat stretches which were helpful to get some rest and re-group before another big arch or climb. I also very much enjoyed the climbs with ‘balconies’. The only thing I did miss as compared to my last Liwa visit was the long drops which I think we only had one. We could not complete the 180 track as one of the cars declared it wanted rest, but still it was good 120 km. My car in the end lost the little plate just between the bumper and the headlight. Surprisingly it did not happen after the ‘flight’, but later and I do not know exactly when as from there on there were no more episodes which made me concerned about the car integrity. If one tells me before Liwa trip that it would be the only damage I would probably agree.
matts
Intermediate
Intermediate

Thanks to [MENTION=1687]Arminjune[/MENTION] for pointing out my first (well actually second) mistake of the weekend!

My plan was to leave Dubai at 7pm and leave arrive at the camp for around 10pm. Well work conspired against me and prevented me from getting home on time, which then made me try to do things quickly which only made me slower. More haste less speed required.

Finally I got on my way at around 9pm and caught up with a funny coloured wrangler on the motorway (that I was pretty sure was Armin but couldn’t see through the tint) and I was doing 120+ so I should be looking where I’m going not into other people’s cars! And here begins the lessons learnt by Matt on his trip to Liwa:

1. Do not listen to Google Maps for directions: she lies!

Google decided the E11 was closed in the Saudi direction and sent me through Mussafah and stupidly I listened. The E11 is not closed.

2. Listen to Google Maps for directions: she tells the truth!

When Mrs Google tells you to take the 3rd exit at the Hameem roundabout concentrate and take the 3rd exit. Due to my mistrust and I was a bit tired and trying to make up lost time I took the wrong exit and continue towards KSA. I realised what I had done when Mrs Google told me to make a U-Turn. The problem being all the U-Turns are blocked off for construction. I manged to find a U-Turn but only after 22km of driving in the wrong direction and even this U-Turn was not strictly kosher. After 44km of driving I was getting pretty tired and got to the gate for the camp site. It was locked. Fantastic.

3. Jeep Specific Lesson: If you drive from Dubai to Liwa or any long distance with no roof buy some ear defenders to save your hearing. You might look like a bit of a doofus but who cares if you keep your hearing intact for the rest of your life. I tried earplugs they are not nearly as effective.

Matt looks up emergency gate on phone. Drives there. Gate is open, brilliant. I think to myself its probably an easy track to the campsite, lots of tyre tracks no need to deflate. As it happens I made it to within 50m of the campsite at which point my tyres started spinning and I decided I had found my camping spot.

4. Driving in the dark without deflating is an entertaining challenge!

I arrived at the campfire and everyone was in good spirits ready for the challenge ahead. I’ve been growing a moustache in support of the Movember charity and for a change nobody commented on it. Does that mean it suits me, surely not!

5. Moustaches are almost4x4 approved

Enough of my rambling. We took ourselves off to bed and got up early for the drive on day 1. We drove from an area called Al Faydha / Al Fatieyah? Out to the east south east ultimately turning back towards hameem. The area is beautiful wide open expanses of rolling dunes combined with technical sections on good medium to large size dunes, there really was something for everyone in this area and as always the Marshalls and Advanced driver did a great job of guiding us through the area.
As we approached Hameem, [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION] gave us a 6 minute inflation challenge which was actually a really good way of controlling the time of the stop and keeping the convoy moving. My only question / slight worry with this method is what you consider a safe tyre pressure to be. This might be quite specific to me but because my jeep is light and has a little less power I use quite low tyre pressure to make up for it - around 5psi. And a minute on each corner only brought me up to 14/15psi which I wonder if it is a little too low? It was only a very short run on the road which was take at a very sensible speed so it’s probably ok but it did worry me slightly. That said, we were crossing the sabkha at speed in excess of 100km at 5psi so what am I worrying about?

At this point we hit the giant dunes of Liwa, the scenery is breath taking. It is no surprise that Star Wars chose this as their filming location. It has an otherworldly feel to it. This was my second trip to Liwa but the effect was not any less.

I thought everyone drove very well considering the terrain as [MENTION=1820]fida[/MENTION] rightly pointed out sometimes it is the dunes that set the level of the drive not the drivers. We had some beautiful ‘singing’ dunes big arches, challenging bowls. It was very important to keep the rhythm going through the big dunes in order to keep the right momentum and avoid slipping into the bowls.

I hope I have some nice video footage here – this will come later – as it is quite difficult to accurately convey Liwa in written word.

As it started to become dim we were searching for an open gate, unfortunately Qasr Al Sarab had locked us out each time. Thankfully alshamsi_m decided not to jump the fence (but he was tempted) and we had to make a speedy backtrack to get out before it got dark.

6. If you have a 3.8L Wrangler with big tyres and possibly regeared you need two jerry cans to be sure of making the exit. I had two and I used them both I might have made it to the petrol station with 1 but it would have been a very close call and that does not give any margin for emergencies.

The campsite at al Faydha was nice but I think the one at Hameem is even better despite the full moon the sky was still full of stars. Admittedly I would like to go out to one of the really dark sky areas when there is no moon but I will have to wait a little for this as the Milky Way is best in the summer apparently!

One of things that helped Hameem by my favourite camping day of the 2 was the food and the atmosphere at the camp. It felt like everyone had settled in and was more relaxed. And then there were the lamb chops.

7. If [MENTION=1820]fida[/MENTION] offers you lamb chops. Always say yes.

I like my food and I enjoy cooking, and I can honestly say the lamb chops were fantastic. Big thankyou for that fida I need to repay you in some way. I will up my cooking game for the next camp. Thank you to each and everyone who brought food to share (which I think was everybody) its things like that which genuinely show you go the extra mile.

Day 2 was supposed to be the longer drive of the two and ran in the opposite direction to Day 1 but ending on the highway to Al Ain. As it turned out [MENTION=9783]Daggerfall[/MENTION] had a small incident with his radiator which we couldn’t fix so we had to take a quick route out of the desert (Hope you reached home ok and all is well with the Kia – Liwa was a good send off for her though).

The area on Day 2 was also beautiful but in a different way to the Liwa oasis. Inside the Oasis you can really only see the big dune system to either side of you (unless you are right on the top). But North East of Hameem you can see a really long way with some beautiful vistas.

The only place I ‘struggled’ on day 2 was on a couple of the big climbs I just don’t have the power to keep the engine turning in 2nd gear and 1st is way too slow. So I was having to hit things are full speed in 2nd and the car would just gradually decelerate. Even so I made it over on the 2nd try all be it at a lower arch than the [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION] track. But we’re always learning.

It was all in all an awesome trip where we covered over 300km off-road over two days. Big thank you to everybody but especially to the Marshals [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION] [MENTION=1633]Yoghybear[/MENTION] [MENTION=1657]Rashidjass[/MENTION] ) as I know how much planning a trip like this takes.

8. [MENTION=1687]Arminjune[/MENTION], after you’ve swallowed a spider come see me and I’ll teach you the next verse of the song J
Yoghybear
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, it's my turn to say something about the weekend in Liwa.
First of all a big thanks to Bu Salem for the lead, as said by Armin you never disappoint in Liwa and once more you show to be a master over there.
Being a wild driver I envy you your skills and patience in planing this kind of trip, you have always a plan B, C and D......while I never have a plan....:005::021::022:
It was indeed a great weekend, with amazing weather, good people and sand, sand and sand again.
Thank you to Fida as well, 2nd lead is an important role, especially in Liwa, you did a great job, moreover, thanks a lot for the lamb chops, nobody can beat you buddy !
Thank you also to Armin and Zorro for the entertainment on the back, nice to see what you are able to do with a steering wheel in hands....including a double popout....:011::033:
Another big thanks to my fellow Marshal Rashidjass for your endless support.
Last but not least, thank you to all who joined this event, all in all you did a good job and I am sure you learned a lot.
Get ready for next adventure.
Cheers
fadi
Intermediate
Intermediate

[video=youtube;cP3MaGw4Bzs][/video]

[video=youtube;DmL7XBSqryc][/video]

[video=youtube;OWMk-qAoJyw][/video]
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[MENTION=10098]fadi[/MENTION]: Nice videos
I can see from your driving style that you have lots of potential. Keeping the right distance, not following blindly the track, not teasing your Pathy and thinking when you are driving and not panicking.

On the other hand from some situations, when it comes to be a little more difficult, some Intermediates have very far to be the real Intermediates, as they didn't properly judge the track or it was clearly seen that they had high pressure in tyres or set improper speed. It is clearly seen on Yoghy's style, what to do, once the track is spoiled by the previous drivers.

Liwa is not Al Badayer, it requires the full attention with clear mind, thinking and judgment in fragments of second.
Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

It has been one year since I went to Liwa as a passenger of @Agalon and @Solmaz. And I was hooked since then.Now finally I have been able to drive there.

No report can describe Liwa I guess, you have to see it with your own eyes. It was a small introduction and there is still much more to see.

Thanks to all Marshalls ( @Rashidjass , @Yoghybear) and who were in support for this great trip. It was an amazing weekend. Especially @alshamsi_m for his great leadership and his support till the very end.I broke my radiator during the last hours of trip and he ,Rashid and some other family members made sure I made home safely. (He was still marshaling even on the road :thumbsup: )

Thanks to @momo for the nice Karak tea and amazing soup and @fida for his famous lamb chops and entertainment with @Arminjune and @Mark B for the homemade cookies and all the others for the great company.

I learned a lot ,(Especially how to be promoted :grin: ), made some mistakes too but if you are not making any mistakes it means you are not doing anything new and you are not going to improve.

Sorry my car was at garage so I couldn't join you guys at the camp this weekend but hope to see you soon. With my new baby hopefully (VF-1 Valkyrie)

I saw the pictures of Momo and Rashid and they were great!. From my side a video will come shortly.

Best Regards
" I feel the need, the need for Speed " cool

Drives Black FJ " VF-1 Valkyrie " , Mob: 050 725 09 31