Hot Sand

anitosh9

Friends,
Hot Sand was a great drive and I learned a lot. It was my day with twice to be rescued, broke my front plate bracket and a Pop-out. Though the excitement and nervousness, I was safe in the hands of Bu Salem, Strawb and Yoghybear and also Jenny who was watching close behind. And all the almosters from the Family were there to cheer me up.

Adding to Yassser important observations, what I learnt from this trip is,
1) Know your SUV thoroughly and don't be Kind to it.
2) Speed controlling and using the correct momentum on dunes , while side cresting and while turning. This will prevent hitting the dunes and prevent possible pop-out.
3) Keep distance of 15-20M from the car in front to avoid second rounds.
4) Fix a Rescue hook onto my truck's hitch, reqd during rescue from rear.

I'll implement these lesson learnt in my future trips, to learn and grow way ahead in this family.

Thank you friends and cheers,

Anitosh9
Ford F150.
elena

hot sand drive i would have renamed into shower sand! sand was literally EVERYWHERE! but that how one can check his real love towards the desert! the drive was really supacool! on the next shopping list: 1. mask. 2 boots 3. ehhmm... car ... (haha!) :pacman::O_O:
BAT
Intermediate
Intermediate

In addition to other member’s posts I have a personal comments and learning to add during Hot Sand drive
To all the Newbies driving FJ Cruiser: (by Bu Salem)
1- Drive your car as if its manual transmission
a- Gear 3 in normal off road driving
b- Gear 2 when the terrain is more difficult
c- Gear L when climbing hard
2- Keep changing between 3, 2 and L based on driving situation
3- (No shame) It was my first time to be caught by a crest, the 4 wheels of the FJ where not touching the sand and needed Strawb help to pull me out of it
4- One time I had a second try to cross a dune
Margarita was so patient behind me watching my mistakes
As others mentioned it was very good live pop out recovery and cut valve change
** Dear Marshals: thanks a lot, I can imagine how much it’s boring to be in off road beginners driver convoy, I believe that the passion is the most motivating and pushing
I hope one day we’ll pay it back to the club
BAT
Intermediate
Intermediate

Instaed of the broken bumper try to fix a skid plate
It will give a good protection to your cars underneath

[quote=margarita;35653]desert wind and sand in ears
less confusion no fears
followed the Desert Bat
next to me my friend Braveheart
Spider-tank enjoying fun
changing gear two or one
jumped sometimes and flew this race
accept, overspeeding was my case
lost a bumper - moment dark
thanks for grabbing it up Mark!
we arrived Badayer square
drive was beautifully rare
underbumper... still confused
shall it fix or keep it loose :))[/quote]
BAT
Intermediate
Intermediate

Marshals keep surprising us with their gear
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1936[/ATTACH]
This week was the skiing goggles which give a perfect protection from sands during a windy day like last Friday
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
margarita

Desert Bat, thank you for the recomendation, will search for it by radio station
shaju nair

Had a great time. As I took a shower after the drive, I could see a layer of fine sand in the tub. I was smiling at myself thinking of the enjoyable and beautiful drive we had. Honestly every drive I have learned more and more. This trip I got stuck for the first time with the club and thanks to Al shamsi and Strawb for teaching me how to get pulled out and also how not to get stuck on the dune peak again. Hope to follow these tips in the future.
i really admire how all the Marshall's are so calm and cool in all such situations and manages to explain each process in a simple way. Alshamsi also taught me how to wrap the kinetic rope after use. Honestly I went back home and tried to do it the same way, but I had forgotten the way Alshamsi did it. I will be asking him again.
learning the details of the Pop out, tyre valve etc was very educative.
come Saturday and I start thinking about the possibility of the next Friday drive. Hope to see you all soon. Have a great week ahead.
Mark B
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great trip, thanks to the Marshals and Crew that helped organize the trip. Thanks to all the drivers who participated.

Sand was softer than I had been used to, but the lessons learned in the past few drives helped me navigate with little difficulty. Lower tire pressure helped the most.

A few of us got “crested” (including myself) and the Marshals were kept busy snatching us off the top of the dunes. I have to get use to that throttle control at the crest.

Two simultaneous “pop outs” gave the Marshals the opportunity to demonstrate the procedure for reinflating the tires.

We stopped at a high point for a brief break. Great view. The desert has it’s own special beauty. If you never leave the city, you miss seeing what the UAE has to offer.

The trip back to the tarmac was on the “flat track” (due to time). When I hear the term Flat Track, I assume something like a country road. Flat must be a relative term. Here is means smaller dunes as flat it was not. Looking forward to the other track one day.

Later, back on the tarmac, pumped the tires up and during the drive to the city, thinking about returning to the sand ASAP.

See you all soon.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=MOMO;35679]For the car lift points, an easy way to locate them is to read your car manual it is mentioned there. [/quote]
Almost well written here.

I would just like to add, that fixing the jack from front, at suspension arms or shocks, has always priority, as you'll be lifting only the tyre area and not the whole car. Of course if it is allowed by car's position and terrain.
anitosh9

Guys,
With a broken front plate mount of my F150 , i'd to place the plate on the dashboard temp till Sat morning for the service centre to open.
But luckily on Friday late in the evening just outside my building i got a traffic ticket for not having the plate in place.

And the funny part, with a fine of Dhs.200/- and 2 black points , that same night i fixed the plate along eith the mount on to the bumper with a metal wire.

:pissed off:
Cheers,
Anitosh9