FJ Mods

Mosalf

Hi, I have a new FJ and would like to know what Mods i should go for.

I am interested in

1] lift

2] tyres - I use the truck for both off and on road (more on road)

3] spacers - 1.25 or 2"?

4] Skid plate - Ricochet or ARB?

5] Snorkel ?

Anything else you guys can suggest. Budget is a constraint for me (i guess for all of us) so I will do this in stages. What should i go for first. Preference is for ICON suspension.
Sarookh
Advance
Advance

Desert Fox;16626 wrote:Hi, I have a new FJ and would like to know what Mods i should go for.

I am interested in

1] lift

3] spacers - 1.25 or 2"?

5] Snorkel ?

Anything else you guys can suggest. Budget is a constraint for me (i guess for all of us) so I will do this in stages. What should i go for first. Preference is for ICON suspension.
Hi Desert Fox,

First welcome to the club and hope you will like it :038:, second i have one advice to give you, dont talk about lift kits yet or at least at this stage...otherwise you will see the Caprihorse Ghost.

Just use the search box and put lift kit, all related threads will appear and you can find answers to all your questions :027: you will then know what i am talking about :015:
Riazj
Intermediate
Intermediate

The decision to modify(lift kits, etc....) should be when the driver is more advanced than the car.....
NaSeR
Golden Member
Golden Member

Desert Fox;16626 wrote:Hi, I have a new FJ and would like to know what Mods i should go for.

I am interested in

1] lift

3] spacers - 1.25 or 2"?

5] Snorkel ?

Wait for sometime before you take any decision.. You have the perfect machine to take you to the intermediate++ level and still can be used for every day drive :048::060:
Big Red
Intermediate
Intermediate

This is maybe the part i didnt like most ... when Capri was shouting at all about newbiew not putting any lift ... as the decision to put a lift is no one else's but the drivers ......

However from my experience driving on stocks and hitting the front of my bumper several times as it was too bouncy has thought me a lot
... and now that i do have a lift kit i feel the capabilities of the car much more.

I didnt enjoy hitting the bumper and worrying all the time about hitting the front and having to slow down exessively. I would probably recommend a suspension modification to be able to hit the terrain you want to. That being said if you join the group on the family trips you will do fine in a stock vehicle.

Your willingness to learn and listen to what the marshalls say will keep you safe in the sand regardless of the suspension or not.
desert_hawk
Intermediate
Intermediate

@ Desert Fox, remember one thing before you start modding your car, you will LOOSE THE WARRANTY, plus you don't need anything for sure till you are above intermediate.

@ Big Red, having a lift kit, big tyres and may be steel bumper will definitely help you overcome obstacles, but i can assure you that it will never help you or me or anyone to learn.
If you learn the hard way, and I don't mean that you break anything, just be extra careful and you don't have to break a thing, this way when you install the mods, you will be more confident and safe.
just my 2 fils, I'm sure that the marshals here have more experience than me and can confirm or reject what I said.
Big Red
Intermediate
Intermediate

dont really agree with you DH i went on some of the drives and if you do anything above newbie+ in stocks and loose 1 second of concentration you risk damage. There is a popular saying in the group its not the car but the driver. If you have the suspension you can still drive sensibly and learn. Besides if you learn on stocks then change your suspension you have to learn the new capabilities of your vehicle. but hey we can agree to disagree or disagree to agree ;) :lemo:
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Big Red;16654 wrote:This is maybe the part i didnt like most ... when Capri was shouting at all about newbiew not putting any lift ... as the decision to put a lift is no one else's but the drivers ......

However from my experience driving on stocks and hitting the front of my bumper several times as it was too bouncy has thought me a lot
... and now that i do have a lift kit i feel the capabilities of the car much more.

I didnt enjoy hitting the bumper and worrying all the time about hitting the front and having to slow down exessively. I would probably recommend a suspension modification to be able to hit the terrain you want to. That being said if you join the group on the family trips you will do fine in a stock vehicle.

Your willingness to learn and listen to what the marshalls say will keep you safe in the sand regardless of the suspension or not.
My friend, we are not limiting anybody here to do any modifications to his car, I think I'm giving just recommendations and sharing my own experience, if anybody asks. If somebody wants to accept this, it is his choice. With all respect, I don't remember at any time, that I did shout of anybody in my convoy, it is not my style...

Hitting the bumper is the matter of the off-roading skills, which anybody can get only during the years of practice, not based on the height of lifting and I'm sure that many will agree with me on this statement...
Big Red
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello everybody,

Let me try and clear this up, I by no means meant to offend/dissapoint anyone and Caprihorse never shouted at anyone at anytime in any of his convoys the shouting i was refering to was in the thread "To Lift or not to LIFT???" (page 2) awhich Strawb posted a while back.

The view of Capri was not soley his but is also of all the marshalls who for the majority of us have a ton more experience. Which is where they get their wisdom from.

I dont have a big lift kit 2.5" which is the advice i went on from to forum to not go higher. What i am trying to say is that compared to my my stock ride the suspension made a massive difference and when i was in my stocks i often found myself braking unnecessarily so that i wouldnt hit the groundwith my stock skid plate or my wheel rubbing on the inside of my wheel well due to the bounciness of my stock setup.

The damage i have to my bumper was from a side trip not endorsed by Almost and i do not blame them one bit for it.
At the end of the day i am the only one who is resposible for my car where i take it.
What i am explaining is that it was done while i had my stock set up and now feeling the difference i am confident it would not have been the case with what i have.

Going on the drives with Almost follow the rule i like the best and the reason i dont want to go driving with any other group. They will always drive at the level of the least experienced. Which lets face it might be a hinderance for people who have a quicker learning curve but if you are willing to listen to what is happening you will always learn what to do or not to do from other people's mistake.

We are all here to share and learn from each other and the people who have the most experience have witnessed the most and hope that none of us suffer the same fate. It is up to the individual to take in and heed what is being said.

We have after all, made a pact to have no accidents this year so mods or no mods driving safely and within the guidelines set out by almost

Always be safe in the sand

Ben :lemo:
Mosalf

NaSeR;16652 wrote:Wait for sometime before you take any decision.. You have the perfect machine to take you to the intermediate++ level and still can be used for every day drive :048::060:
Dear NaSer, Many thanks for the confidence build up...I do need to change my skid plate though. The thingy Toyota gives you is not dependable at all as is expected from Futtaim.