The Ultimate Off-road 4x4: Almost Edition

Desert Lizard
Golden Member
Golden Member

First I must thank Strawb :047: for his post "Are you interested in Modifications?" which inspired this post.

I think we can using the collective wisdom of our members come up with a design for the ultimate sand off-roader. Not a rock crawling machine, but something that will take on Liwa or any other desert.

The vehicle must be light, sturdy and nimble with suitable ground clearance and weight distribution.

For starters, I think there are several components for a good desert vehicle, please put your ideas under each relevant section and add sections as you see fit.

1- Engine
2- 4x4 Transfer Case and Gear Box
3- Cooling System
4- Chassis and Frame (Construction, dimensions etc)
5- Suspension and Tyres
6- Body Design

Let's see what we come up with!!
Gorgin4325

Desert Lizard;13672 wrote: Let's see what we come up with!!
This is easy! Toyota FJ Cruiser!
Gorgin4325

But on a serious note, if money was no issue, I would probably ask Offroad Evolution to build me a Jeep like the picture below. It started out as a standard 2 door JK, chassis was extended by 12 inches, remote reservoirs in the front, extended travel suspension in the rear, 40 inch tires, and above all, it only stands about 2 inches taller than a stock JK you buy from the dealer, in other words, its a low center of gravity design.

Of course you can always add a Hemi to it!

Here are some pics:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]884[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]885[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]886[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]883[/ATTACH]

and of course you are not just limited to desert driving:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]887[/ATTACH]
Gorgin4325

I have such a hard time making up my mind.

This would also be nice:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]888[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]889[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]890[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]891[/ATTACH]

The list of mods is about 2 pages long!
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Desert Lizard;13672 wrote:First I must thank Strawb :047: for his post "Are you interested in Modifications?" which inspired this post.

I think we can using the collective wisdom of our members come up with a design for the ultimate sand off-roader. Not a rock crawling machine, but something that will take on Liwa or any other desert.

The vehicle must be light, sturdy and nimble with suitable ground clearance and weight distribution.

For starters, I think there are several components for a good desert vehicle, please put your ideas under each relevant section and add sections as you see fit.

1- Engine
2- 4x4 Transfer Case and Gear Box
3- Cooling System
4- Chassis and Frame (Construction, dimensions etc)
5- Suspension and Tyres
6- Body Design

Let's see what we come up with!!
I think you must be talking about Nissan Pathfinder, R50, straight from showroom, almost ready for desert driving.
Gorgin4325

Can you tell I'm really having fun with this thread? :D

Here is another idea:

1- Engine: Toyota's 5.7L V8
2- 4x4 Transfer Case and Gear Box: What's used in the Toyota Tundra
3- Cooling System: The same as the one in Dubai Mall
4- Chassis and Frame (Construction, dimensions etc): Toyota Tundra single cabine
5- Suspension and Tyres: Total Chaos long travel Upper and Lower Control Arms + double throwdown Icons, some 33-35 inch tires and 17 inch rims
6- Body Design: Toyota Tundra single cabine + Roll Cage

[ATTACH=CONFIG]892[/ATTACH]
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Gorgin4325;13680 wrote:Can you tell I'm really having fun with this thread? :D

Here is another idea:

1- Engine: Toyota's 5.7L V8
2- 4x4 Transfer Case and Gear Box: What's used in the Toyota Tundra
3- Cooling System: The same as the one in Dubai Mall
4- Chassis and Frame (Construction, dimensions etc): Toyota Tundra single cabine
5- Suspension and Tyres: Total Chaos long travel Upper and Lower Control Arms + double throwdown Icons, some 33-35 inch tires and 17 inch rims
6- Body Design: Toyota Tundra single cabine + Roll Cage
You must be dreaming about LWB pickup, better take Hilux, it has some history in Dakkar.
BettyPo
Advance
Advance

I went to Liwa the first time with Betty fully stock! I made it in and out, with the car and was just amazed of the beauty Liwa has to offer along with all the ditches and soft sand!
Lovely modified cars on top and all around us! But hey, when should you really start modifying? (maybe I should post this question as a new thread!)
Is it really just the power of your car which takes you up a dune and beyond or may it also be the driver who controls the car, reads the dunes, overcomes it with a good run up and good skills gained over the years? Look at MiniMe:045:
I like the nostalgic look! Therefore my fav rides: 1- JEEP Wrangler remains 2- Rub3 LC71 series, V6, M/T, 4.0L 3-Nissan Patrol Safari, SWB, 4.8L, M/T and I don't mind a G55:011:

Anyways, my collected wisdom: Drive your vehicle full stock until you know your car, built up some skills and gain experience and then take it slow with mods, bearing in mind "weight, weight distribution, sturdyness and suitable ground clearance. And still, never ever forget your shovel:005:
zeemmee

My 2 favorite machines...

THE ONLY TRUE HAND BUILT FJ & THE CJ

[ATTACH=CONFIG]893[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]894[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]895[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]896[/ATTACH]

Talking about the construction & Meticulous process... Just the Materials & the details worth the drooling, ogling

http://icon4x4.com/overview/fj/video

http://icon4x4.com/overview/cj/videos/cjb-making
Mosalf

Hi is that. FJ40?