Break-in: at what mileage did you take your new 4x4 to the desert??

Magnum
Club Member
Club Member

alshamsi_m;9177 wrote:I tried my toy after 1000 km on off-road without knowing that there is a nice button you have to press before you go off-reading which resulted of nice fireworks in the car + surprise gift of side curtains + slap on the face ... = 25 k repair :036:
Ouch, that's learning the hardest way. "حمد الله على السلامة"

One of my friends forgot to push the same button and ended up rolling over; complete write-off of his toy.

For the sake of other members' knowledge, the button referred to herein is the ASC "active stability control" or the equivalent, which kicks in to stabilize the car in any abrupt maneuver. This does work reversely off-road. Rolling over happens when the ASC kicks in and cut-off engine power, so the one, God forbid, ends up in a tough situation with no engine to pull him out of it.

You MUST check your car's manual as the ASC turn off switch gets overridden (i.e., ASC is back into action) in certain extreme conditions or after exceeding a certain speed. The Pajero, for instance, restores back ASC after the car exceeds 60 km/h. The 2012 Xterra keeps a little of the ASC active for extreme conditions. The stock fitted switch on any 2012 Xterra will not completely disable the ASC.

I hope the above is of a benefit.

Best,
Ahmed.
Last edited by Phoenix on Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: editing previous data for optimising search box results
NaSeR
Golden Member
Golden Member

alshamsi_m;9177 wrote:I tried my toy after 1000 km on off-road without knowing that there is a nice button you have to press before you go off-reading which resulted of nice fireworks in the car + surprise gift of side curtains + slap on the face ... = 25 k repair :036:
:056: :056:.. Thanks GOD they have removed the side curtains airbags from our model
Wasif Ahmed
Advance
Advance

Magnum;9179 wrote:Ouch, that's learning the hardest way. "حمد الله على السلامة"

One of my friends forgot to push the same button and ended up rolling over; complete write-off of his toy.

For the sake of other members' knowledge, the button referred to herein is the ASC "active stability control" or the equivalent, which kicks in to stabilize the car in any abrupt maneuver. This does work reversely off-road. Rolling over happens when the ASC kicks in and cut-off engine power, so the one, God forbid, ends up in a tough situation with no engine to pull him out of it.

You MUST check your car's manual as the ASC turn off switch gets overridden (i.e., ASC is back into action) in certain extreme conditions or after exceeding a certain speed. The Pajero, for instance, restores back ASC after the car exceeds 60 km/h. The 2012 Xterra keeps a little of the ASC active for extreme conditions. The stock fitted switch on any 2012 Xterra will not completely disable the ASC.

I hope the above is of a benefit.

Best,
Ahmed.
I think Bu Salem was refering to the RSCA button that controls the side curtain airbags that have a hair trigger on 2009 FJ Cruisers ( Rollover Sensing Curtain Airbags) and not the ASC / VSC
NaSeR;9180 wrote::056: :056:.. Thanks GOD they have removed the side curtains airbags from our model
Nasser they still have side curtain airbags on the 2010 and up FJ but the sensors have been optimised so they dont deploy as easily as they did on the 2009 FJ
Magnum
Club Member
Club Member

Thank you for the clarification, Wasif. I'm not an FJ expert, but deactivating ASC must technically and impliedly deactivate the rollover dependant airbags, in anticipation of severe driving angles while off-road or playing. Both must be working in collaboration along with other safety measures fitted. That was the case with other cars I driven.
sanbloody

My FJ has just crossed 2000km...........will wait till I get 5000Km service done to get it into desert.

I need your advise on the BASIC legal changes/modifications to be done before entering the desert which will not hamper the warranty.
NaSeR
Golden Member
Golden Member

sanbloody;9226 wrote:My FJ has just crossed 2000km...........will wait till I get 5000Km service done to get it into desert.

I need your advise on the BASIC legal changes/modifications to be done before entering the desert which will not hamper the warranty.
FJ is perfect car for the desert. Drive your car in the desert and you will know what you need after sometime. Basic modification like 2 inch lift with suspension or good tires will not effect the warranty. Any modification in the engine will cancel the warranty.
FSL

NaSeR;9227 wrote: 2 inch lift with suspension
ohh... you've mentioned a sensitive issue NaSeR :059:
NaSeR
Golden Member
Golden Member

FSL;9228 wrote:ohh... you've mentioned a sensitive issue NaSeR :059:
It's optional not required for the monster FJ :011:... stock FJ can be driven in advance level with no issue :048::015:
FSL

NaSeR;9232 wrote: stock FJ can be driven in advance level with no issue :048::015:
You're absolutely right :045:

although i'm waiting for Silvester's comments regarding the modifications :005:
sanbloody

NaSeR;9232 wrote:It's optional not required for the monster FJ :011:... stock FJ can be driven in advance level with no issue :048::015:
Naser, what about the skid plate??, should it be replaced with a custom made one!!