Pad/Tablet as GPS

Magnum
Club Member
Club Member

FSL;8960 wrote:I guess these are new cars but they installed the ipad's so neatly that it looks factory fitted.

Yes for on-road use all you need is a iPad (wifi+3G) along with 3G service (i'd prefer etisalat)

For off-road i'm still not sure how will it perform in areas where there is no network coverage, because these devices don't store maps but download it from internet on the go based on your current location. Also Apple devices are not equipped with the actual GPS chip but they have Assisted GPS capabilities and they track the location based on the cellular towers and directions from the built-in compass.

So the only question is what if there is no cellular network coverage, The apps claim that you don't need a cell signal so i'm still looking for user reviews.

But I'd still keep a garmin somewhere in the car :003:
Buddy, the Iphone and Ipad 2 3g both have GPS chips built-in. They feature the A-GPS , which helps the actual GPS chip to determine the location in less time using the data of cellular towers of mobile network. The Ipad and Iphone act as a standalone GPS devices. You can easily try it by removing you sim card and test it.

As for the maps, I'm assuming you are referring to Google maps used by IOS, you can simply cache the area you are intending to visit on different scales and here you go no netwrok and the maps are up and running.

For other navigation apps that works great Off-road, try MotionX from app store. its $5.
Last edited by Phoenix on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: editing previous data for optimising search box results
FSL

Magnum;9103 wrote:Buddy, the Iphone and Ipad 2 3g both have GPS chips built-in. They feature the A-GPS , which helps the actual GPS chip to determine the location in less time using the data of cellular towers of mobile network. The Ipad and Iphone act as a standalone GPS devices. You can easily try it by removing you sim card and test it.
Thanks for the help Magnum.

Well I tried it after removing the sim. Can you also try it once again but make sure you disable 3G, Cellular Data and Wifi and then remove the SIM (This will ensure that it can now only use the GPS chip, but nothing else). Once these steps are done try opening google maps and look out for your current position. Look out for it couple of times and then i'd appreciate if you share your findings here.

Mine just said, "Cannot Determine Location"

P.S: I'm using iPhone4
Last edited by Phoenix on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

"GPS function works without a SIM card installed, but only the GPS apps from the app store that display location as latitude/longitude/altitude will work without the SIM. It will take longer to find the satellite signal and it will only work out in the open because without the SIM the GPS must function without the assistance of the cell towers.

You will not be able to see anything on the maps, unless you're on Wi-Fi, since the map data is downloaded from Google and not stored permanently."

This statement I got from some MAC forum.

It is the same as on my Fuji camera. Sometimes I'm getting GPS signal in the desert immediately, sometimes not at all.
FSL

caprihorse;9123 wrote:"GPS function works without a SIM card installed, but only the GPS apps from the app store that display location as latitude/longitude/altitude will work without the SIM. It will take longer to find the satellite signal and it will only work out in the open because without the SIM the GPS must function without the assistance of the cell towers.

You will not be able to see anything on the maps, unless you're on Wi-Fi, since the map data is downloaded from Google and not stored permanently."

This statement I got from some MAC forum.

It is the same as on my Fuji camera. Sometimes I'm getting GPS signal in the desert immediately, sometimes not at all.
Thanks Silvester. I'm just going out of office to test it along with Marlboro :P
Will let you know what happened shortly :011:

--------------------------------------------------

So it did worked outdoor, it even works indoor sometime but when i took it out it was fast.
I learned a new thing today, so thanks a lot :047:
Magnum
Club Member
Club Member

FSL;9112 wrote:Thanks for the help Magnum.

Well I tried it after removing the sim. Can you also try it once again but make sure you disable 3G, Cellular Data and Wifi and then remove the SIM (This will ensure that it can now only use the GPS chip, but nothing else). Once these steps are done try opening google maps and look out for your current position. Look out for it couple of times and then i'd appreciate if you share your findings here.

Mine just said, "Cannot Determine Location"

P.S: I'm using iPhone4
I'm using the 4s and it worked but took like 10 minutes to lock on sat and give location. Remembered also that I used it in Oman for a couple of days where roaming on Iphone sim was not active using motion x and cached maps :)
Last edited by Phoenix on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oggy

Has anyone got the Bad Elf GPS linked to an iPad 2?

Im going to go that route, just need to source one locally and get a nice mount for the JK.
nasirdub
Intermediate
Intermediate

OggyAv8er;11568 wrote:Has anyone got the Bad Elf GPS linked to an iPad 2?

Im going to go that route, just need to source one locally and get a nice mount for the JK.
Also look at :

xgps150
FSL

UPDATE:

So i finally pulled the trigger and jailbroken my iPhone.

After that i downloaded 3 navigation apps;
- TOM-TOM Middle East (US$ 99)
- Navigon Middle East (US$ 89)
- iGO World (ME - US$65).

Ofcourse i didn't paid a penny to download these apps :059:

Tested them on road, they work perfectly and have a lots of options to play around with. You don't need the 3G data package for these apps, which is the best part.
So if you have an ipad you'd love the big screen navigation.

Gotta test these in desert now.
Darshan

If you kow where you are going, you can pre cache the maps on most of the software so that you dont need 3G.
@Oggy: The route that you are taking is the most reliable opinion in my logic (but no practical experience with it)

Definitely the tablets are going to take over the scenario of GPS navigation on some time.

If you need a mount for the tablet, PM me and i will send you the contact details of a guy who has already done it. (He has an FJ) but the same mod should work for other vehicles as well. It is not a Ram mount but looks something like that.