Pad/Tablet as GPS

Jeff

I have been considering replacing my old and now not too reliable GPS. I am also considering purchasing a pad/tablet. To my great surprise I have seen some drivers using their pads as GPS units. Obviously, they have the advantage in screen size. And they have the advantage in being multifunctional. When you are not driving, you can use them for a lot more than navigating roads, deserts, or mountains.

I am interested in hearing from those that have used their pads in this way. How is the software? The available maps?

What associated costs might there be? Obviously you need some kind of mount for your dash, but how about software and maps? How does the pad connect with the satellite?

Thank you.
Last edited by Phoenix on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: editing previous data for optimising search box results
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Maybe this forum can give more light into your question - http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2160812
Jeff

Thanks, Capri. I've been looking in other forums such as this, but was hoping for some local feedback. What works in Europe and NAmerica doesn't always fly here, as I'm sure you've found.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Definitely with tablet is have to option that GPS chip is directly connecting with GPS satellites (e.g. iPhone does not have this option) and is not relying on Internet connection anywhere in the world.
Before buying something, you have to check if there is GPS chip inside. The maps you can get before from the website related to your OS or application.
FSL

I've been using my iPhone to navigate my way in UAE and trust me it's very good.
Never tested it offroad though. but on road it's as good as it can get.
All you need is an iPhone and 3G service. (There is work around even without the 3G ;)

You can use iPad as well if you fancy bigger screen but then you'll need the 3G version as it has the GPS (wifi only version is without the GPS)

some pics for your reference as well :P

FSL

There is an app for iphone/ipad called NAVIGON. it's by garmin and they do have maps available for almost all the regions. But this app is like $89 for MEA region.
I just found another interesting thing http://www.navigon.com/portal/mea/produ ... index.html

Even TOM-TOM have their app and available for MEA navigation and it's $99.
They have a car kit for iphone/ipod as well. http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/mo ... or-iPhone/
Jeff

Is this a new model car? It looks like the pad is built in. Nice.

So, I'll need a pad with a GPS chip and 3G. Do I also need 3G service from Du or Etisalat?
FSL

Jeff;8958 wrote:Is this a new model car? It looks like the pad is built in. Nice.

So, I'll need a pad with a GPS chip and 3G. Do I also need 3G service from Du or Etisalat?
I guess these are new cars but they installed the ipad's so neatly that it looks factory fitted.

Yes for on-road use all you need is a iPad (wifi+3G) along with 3G service (i'd prefer etisalat)

For off-road i'm still not sure how will it perform in areas where there is no network coverage, because these devices don't store maps but download it from internet on the go based on your current location. Also Apple devices are not equipped with the actual GPS chip but they have Assisted GPS capabilities and they track the location based on the cellular towers and directions from the built-in compass.

So the only question is what if there is no cellular network coverage, The apps claim that you don't need a cell signal so i'm still looking for user reviews.

But I'd still keep a garmin somewhere in the car :003:
zeemmee

If have a jail broken Iphone/ ipad mostly navigation apps are free such as Navigon , TomTom, Motion X gps, Igo my way & many more However I have not tested them in desert.Its a good Idea worth trying.
Clga

Hi

I have used my IPAD w. 3G for navigation purposes for some time. The best APP I have found is "Motion X GPS HD". It' around 10 AED and allows you to download terrain maps for the entire world for free. It also includes all imaginable functionalities incl. Track recording. You can program waypoints in any format. Very easy to use. Sharaf DG in Times Sq Mall have a number of mounting solutions for IPADs.

Kind regards
Claus Gammelgaard