Into Al Nagra

Arabasque

Into Al Nagra was a very nice drive for Newbies 5+ which took place in Sweihan area. Al Nagra is the name of the highest dune in that area.

During the briefing by [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION] before the drive, we were advised to be careful with the sharp dunes and with the V shapes at the bottom of them which could make our car be with 3 wheels on the ground and one in the air.

Also we were advised of the importance of following the track of our convoy, which was not always easy since there were different tracks made by other people.

For the aforesaid reason, sharpness of the dunes, sometimes visibility can be low, and that is where two aspects become key: the proper radio communication and the proper distance between cars (see links to previous posts at the end of this message)

I had good chances to learn from my own mistakes, in my case more especially regarding the distance. The tricky part is that both too short and too long distance are not good, and due to the conditions of the terrain, sometimes it is easy to lose sight of the vehicle in front of you, and you don’t want to make your own track, creating a problem for you and the cars behind you.

That makes you want to be closer, but too close is very bad also, not only for the risk of hitting the car in front, but also because we would make that driver stressed and also we would not allow second chance for him and we could also make rescue difficult.

As for the radio communication part, maybe it could help if we try to learn the nicknames, at least of the two cars ahead and the car behind us during the briefing, and also if we say “our nickname + clear” whenever visibility is low to give assurance to the vehicle who is following us (sorry when I did not do this).

So we ended up in Al Nagra where there were quite a lot of people, and it was nice to see the precautions of our marshals and the good radio communications here advising on any cars foreign to our convoy in order to guarantee the safety of all of us.

I would like to finish acknowledging the great patience of the senior guys, [MENTION=1633]Yoghybear[/MENTION], [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION], [MENTION=1946]Mazaaj[/MENTION], [MENTION=3678]Hockey[/MENTION], [MENTION=1687]Arminjune[/MENTION], during the rescue operations which were plenty and took some time, and also many thanks for the detailed explanations to help us for some self-recoveries. And I would also like to acknowledge the help and positive attitude of [MENTION=8954]BAT[/MENTION] during the rescue operations assisting the seniors.

Overall a great drive and Thanks a lot to all the Seniors and all the Drivers of Almost4x4!!!

Iñigo AKA Arabasque

PD. to learn more, check these links by [MENTION=955]caprihorse[/MENTION]:

http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread.php?2209-Keep-the-Distance&highlight=distance

http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... munication
wasimb2
Intermediate
Intermediate

I took a wrong road it cost me 30 min extra to reach
start deflate and go on...
we stop several time ,lot of problem and bad lucks:have a nice day:
but it was great fortunate to me to start be familiar with auto transmission
so far nice trip safe and fun
thanks almost 4x4 for a nice trip and nice experience
Mazaaj
Golden Member
Golden Member

[quote=Arabasque;45557]Into Al Nagra was a very nice drive for Newbies 5+ which took place in Sweihan area. Al Nagra is the name of the highest dune in that area.

During the briefing by @alshamsi_m before the drive, we were advised to be careful with the sharp dunes and with the V shapes at the bottom of them which could make our car be with 3 wheels on the ground and one in the air.

Also we were advised of the importance of following the track of our convoy, which was not always easy since there were different tracks made by other people.

For the aforesaid reason, sharpness of the dunes, sometimes visibility can be low, and that is where two aspects become key: the proper radio communication and the proper distance between cars (see links to previous posts at the end of this message)

I had good chances to learn from my own mistakes, in my case more especially regarding the distance. The tricky part is that both too short and too long distance are not good, and due to the conditions of the terrain, sometimes it is easy to lose sight of the vehicle in front of you, and you don’t want to make your own track, creating a problem for you and the cars behind you.

That makes you want to be closer, but too close is very bad also, not only for the risk of hitting the car in front, but also because we would make that driver stressed and also we would not allow second chance for him and we could also make rescue difficult.

As for the radio communication part, maybe it could help if we try to learn the nicknames, at least of the two cars ahead and the car behind us during the briefing, and also if we say “our nickname + clear” whenever visibility is low to give assurance to the vehicle who is following us (sorry when I did not do this).

So we ended up in Al Nagra where there were quite a lot of people, and it was nice to see the precautions of our marshals and the good radio communications here advising on any cars foreign to our convoy in order to guarantee the safety of all of us.

I would like to finish acknowledging the great patience of the senior guys, @Yoghybear, @alshamsi_m, @Mazaaj, @Hockey, @Arminjune, during the rescue operations which were plenty and took some time, and also many thanks for the detailed explanations to help us for some self-recoveries. And I would also like to acknowledge the help and positive attitude of @BAT during the rescue operations assisting the seniors.

Overall a great drive and Thanks a lot to all the Seniors and all the Drivers of Almost4x4!!!

Iñigo AKA Arabasque

PD. to learn more, check these links by @caprihorse:

http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread.php?2209-Keep-the-Distance&highlight=distance

http://www.almost4x4.com/vb/showthread. ... munication[/quote]

Thank you [MENTION=9724]Arabasque[/MENTION] for the nice report
Booy
Golden Member
Golden Member

Into Al Nagra....

After deflating, we hit the dunes, and almost immediately had stucks and second tries. I loved how [MENTION=1633]Yoghybear[/MENTION] pulled out his chair, got comfortable, enjoying the show, and giving instructions from his perfect vantage point! I was third from the back with all the FJ's and patiently waited at this theatrical put on display for everyone - without knowing what was happening just behind the dune in front of me.

We moved slowly initially with many stucks, a pop out and tyre damage to one of the vehicles. After the repair/tyre swop, we moved at a relative pace and the drive became enjoyable.

Ended up at Al Nagra, where we descended quite a steep dune - I enjoyed sliding down that dune at the slowest speed I could possibly do it at, just to enjoy the sliding feeling.

At the end, after the last descend, [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION] could not resist showing some of the "dune challengers" how to climb a dune - very enjoyable to watch how he made it look so simple while others tried endlessly without reaching the top.
[MENTION=9967]ZaheR[/MENTION] , it was fun driving behind you and seeing your jeep misbehave on some of the side crests. Good driving bro.

Thanks to all marshals, rescuers and founder for a good day out in the sand. Your commitment, patience and love for the club and its members is evident in your fantastic attitude!

Till we meet again!
@Booy

Blue FJ Cruiser, with an Atlas on the door
Arminjune
Advance
Advance

this was a great training day,

we learned about poppets, crisrtings, changing tyre, using proper tools, all in one trip.
To learn and get to this situations at this stage is better than getting to higher level and not knowing what to do.

however, I'm hopping that everyone have there own PROPER tools for next trips.
Red Baron
Intermediate
Intermediate

Finally got the time to sit down and write this trip report. What a challenging drive it was. We met at the designated meeting point at Sweihan until everyone comes. Then we drove to the deflating point and had the briefing by alshamsi_m.

It was interesting that this part of the desert has its unique features. Sharp fresh crests, ‘V’ shaped dunes, soft and very soft at some parts. These were all explained at the briefing and most importantly because of the V shape of dunes, we will be three wheeled, leaving the other wheel on air. So we were instructed to follow strict convoy rules, keeping the right distance, proper radio communication, etc…

Anyway soon after we hit the sand, we had stucks, second tries, crests, popouts, and one newbie had very bad luck with a tire and had to change it completely.

I should apologize to all, for my continuous radio check messages. Bad luck my radio decided to play with me and couldn’t hear anyone. This made me really annoyed, but thanks [MENTION=1946]Mazaaj[/MENTION] for giving me your spare radio and saved me from a disaster. Because these dunes were sharp and unique, chance of losing the track was high, one time I had no idea what the track was, there were many.

After we reached Al Nagra dune (highest dune in the area), we had some refreshments while enjoying some off roaders challenging the dune. It was FUN!!! Then we returned back to the road safely.

Things to remember:
  1. Keep proper distance and follow lead marshal’s track always.
  2. Keep your momentum and do not fight the gravity.
  3. Have proper/right tools and check them before the drive.
On a side note: Don’t let your friends play with your radio before the drive or EVER !!!!!

Thank you [MENTION=1946]Mazaaj[/MENTION], organizing this challenging drive for us and certainly improved our skills and awareness and [MENTION=27]alshamsi_m[/MENTION] for the great lead as always, taking us through safely yet challenging as always. [MENTION=1633]Yoghybear[/MENTION] for keeping us on track and all the instructions. Finally all the advance drivers for the great support, having so much patience on us.

Until next time.

R.B