Off road tire factors

admin

Factors to Consider in Choosing Off Road Tires
Off road tires have become commonplace purchases, especially with the increased popularity of SUVs or light trucks. Most automotive supplies shops carry these; however, not everyone would know which off road tires go best with which rig. For this one, you will, more or less, need to rely on yourself.

When heading out to buy off road tires. There are certain factors that you need to consider. Note these factors; and make purchases based on what is best for your needs and how the off road tires that you select meet the required specifications.

First of all, have a budget to spend on off road truck tires. These tires are investments in your safety, especially if you are going to use these on challenging terrain most of the time. Hence, your budget should be realistic, while not exorbitant. Off road tires are known to be more expensive than normal automobile tires. This is because they are built tougher and come in slightly bigger sizes.

Next, you should take into consideration the climate that you live in. If you stay in a place that regularly experience snow and the terrain gets icy often, then you should select off road tires with special non-skid traction features. These are slightly more expensive than off road tires that do not have these climate specific features. However, if you stay in a tropical climate locale, then you can do without these.

Tire fit is also important when selecting off road tires. Note what the manufacturer specifies. This should be in your vehicle’s manual. Stick to this specification as much as possible. However, if you do decide to go a size bigger, then do not forget that you would also need to get the suspension adjusted.

The toughness of your selected off road tires become ultimately important when you actually go off the road with these tires. In these situations, you need to be assured that your off road tires have enough sidewall protection – as measure against punctures and the like.

Choose your tires with reinforced sidewalls if you foresee regular off road driving. With reinforced sidewalls, you can safely lower your tire pressure for better tractions, as well as have more puncture resistant tires.

Lastly, consider the noise factor. All off road tires make more noise than normal tires. However, some make more noise than others. If you are staying in an urban or suburban community and intend to drive your vehicle here most of the time, then you might want to consider an off road tires depot with reduced road noise.

Other Hubs
Air pressure in off road tires
When going up a trail, many recommend airing out your off road tires. Reducing the air pressure of off road tires makes the ride more cushioned. Likewise, it gives the tires better traction. These are...
Off road tires repair
Flat tires and repair of off-road tires - these are road challenges that are common to the enthusiasts. No matter how good these tires are and no matter what company manufactured these tires, the probability...
Cool fitting off road tires
It is always important to get off road tires that fit your vehicle. Right fitting off road tires ensure everyday safety, as well as gas mileage, efficiency and longer tire life.
Adventures League of Mountains, Oceans & Sand Thrills
Duck Commander
Golden Member
Golden Member

AlKhatib these are really nice tips and basic rules for selecting the tires. When i looked at the topic I thought this is a very controversial topic but when i read it, its nice and informative.
one year back some stupid guy in mussafah sold me tires, that time I was not reading that much regarding offroad and tires. After an year of usage I got to know that those tires are not for my car and the manufacturing date was 2006,hahahaha.

So please guyz when you are buying tires for your stock wheels just stick to the size mentioned there, and read the production date too, which is very tricky itself, these are 6 digit numerical numbers and the last two numbers are the year of production.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thx buddies for your inputs to my favourite subject. :038: And all new tyre buyers pls also take into the consideration following:
  1. Buy all 4 tyres at the same time
  2. Buy all 4 tyres of same brand, same specification (e.g. Bridgestone H/T 686) and similar production week. Tyre shops tend to sell old tyres as one piece together with other 3, as they pefectly know the age of their tyres stock and it is for them difficult to sell those old tyres. Additionally this ensures the same profile and therefore same traction on all 4 wheels and minimizes pop outs.
  3. When fitting new tyres to your rim, remember the red dot, that has to be aligned with valve. Fitters have no idea about these markings.
  4. Typically at these days tyre sellers offer free balancing in price of new tyres after 3,000 km of driving. Use it, as tyres needs to be regularly balanced, to avoid vibrations. You'll save around 100Dhs.
  5. Dubai Police allows maximum of 5 years old tyres to be fitted on the car. If you have older tyres, your car renewal will be rejected. If not, you're just lucky.
  6. If you are buying tyres for your salon car, search for markings of M+S and avoid such tyres. They are not at all for this hot country and car tends to slip at higher speeds. M+S means 'mud and snow'. Those tyres are coming mostly from EU to this market as they're low cost (not sellable in EU anymore, from many reasons) and outdated by production date. Probably you know famous offer - 'Yes, boss, I'll give you a special price...' :060: