Animals of the Desert

Mukhallalati Basha
Advance
Advance

The desert areas of the Emirates provide evidence of a surprising wealth of animal life, although it’s likely you’ll see only a small proportion of the animals. While there’s an interesting diversity of species, the numbers within each species are generally small. Also, many are nocturnal, hiding during the day in caves, in the sand and beneath stones, and are therefore seldom seen.

Foxes may be seen in the mountains and even near urban settlements. Among the smaller mammals that inhabit the sandy desert, gerbils, and in particular three-toed gerbils, are noteworthy. They are nocturnal and their tracks can be observed in the sand in the early morning, possibly along with the tracks of the predatory sand cat, now rare. Still relatively common in nearly all environments are hares and the Ethiopian and Brandt’s hedgehog.

Animals in the desert have adapted to a harsh environment of high temperatures and very little water—and avoid extreme conditions—by making various anatomical adjustments. They use water incredibly sparingly and get their moisture requirements by licking at early-morning dew, from the blood of their prey or by eating desert-plant foods with a high water content.

Some species, including mammals such as the jerboa, are able to obtain sufficient moisture through their food. Other species are able to survive dry periods in stages of latent life. Some butterflies, for example, may wait for several years as pupae for the next rain, while small freshwater crabs, whose eggs remain in hard cysts for years, appear fully-grown in small puddles of water a few days after rain has fallen.
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mukhalati, I'm happy that you opened this subject. Recently, when I was driving my "newbie track" (near Sharjah-Kalba Road), I spotted twice Arabian Red Fox (Vulpes Vulpes Arabica). It was pretty big, grey, with white tip on the tale, much bigger than our dog. At first moment I thought it was a wolf. However within seconds, as I tried to grab my camera, the quick animal was somewhere hidden.

Other animal where I was more lucky, was Desert Monitor (Varanus Griseus), which posed for me for several minutes in Liwa. Here are the pics from this 'photo shooting'.

At Al Lisaili desert can be seen reptiles Spiny Tailed Agame (Uromastyx Aegyptiacus) and Gazelles (Gazella Gazella Cora).
Lots of gazelles are in Liwa, where they are very well protected by UAE environment agencies, unfortunately, I couldn't find any pics at the moment.
ahmedjamal

i wish i can go on a desert animal photo-hunt trip
its my dreaaaaam :(

can we organize one!!
- and i forgot to mention that while i was driving in the small warqa desert i got very close to a desert owl that i almost hit, i didnt know it was there until it gave me a look and flew .. it was very very big ,, the biggest ive ever seen and very beautiful , i forgot to grab my camera and i was very disappointed :(

ill keep going there (with my camera) until i find it
Indy

when is the best time when chances of seeing them are better? like AJ says let's go..!
ahmedjamal

We can go for a photo-hunt .. we should plan an outing