New Year, New Stars - Club Member

JockJKU
Club Member
Club Member

Hi all!!

This is the place for trip reports for this weeks Club Member drive!

Look forward to reading them!

Jock
Mattyzsound
Club Member
Club Member

Hi All

So today was my first time joining almost 4x4 and I had a great time.

Being in a larger convoy helped me with confidence on the dunes

Great instruction from the marshals start to finish!!

Just need to get a coupler more tools and hopefully I’ll be good to step to newbie

Thanks again

M🤘🏼
Foxtrot

Sweet deal starting the day on a slice of birthday honey cake! Thank you very much for that!

An even bigger thank you from me and my family for a very well co-ordinated event with excellent attention to safety in such a large convey - well done to Jock and all the supporting marshals, very professional and much appreciated!

See you soon for more action!

Heinichen (might need to speak to Admin for a nickname instead)
knifelight

Great start for an almost total newbie and his son!
I wish to thank all Marshals who gave their invaluable contribution to the wonderful and safe outcome of this Club Member drive.
I am sure today new friendships were started, ready to last in time.
See you in the sand soon guys!
FJ Cruiser - Gandalf The Gray
Nosce Te Ipsum
BlueX

Hi,
First I would like to thank you for the amazing honey cake and wish belated birthday wishes again
The drive was amazing with many new things to learn especially about the car as well obviously about the desert
Thank you for all the marshals who helped and guided in all difficult / tricky situations and a big
A big thanks going to JockJKU for organizing such a wonderful event; looking forward to register for 25th
Tekton

Hello Almost4x4,

18.Jan.2019 I did my first drive with Almost 4x4, previously I was just passenger and I can tell you the difference is enormously big.

Before I begin with anything I would like to thank you all for this opportunity but specially Abu Jimmy for grate tips, (you know it’s a Jeep thing) :D…

When I arrived at deflating & brief point I could not believe how many people was there and how many people have same desire as me for off-roading which made very positive impact on me and makes me even more confident.

Before the brief started Marshals shared honey cake with us and made very positive impression about the whole thing on what my wife and myself thank you very much!!

During the brief the lecture was really good and many things to learn, I did my best to follow each given instruction and I believe that’s what made the whole thing even more fun and got me till the end with no issues at all.

During the drive the thing that I liked the most and same time I was afraid when we were driving on a side of a dune wall, the sand was soft and the car was sliding left-right and all of the sudden a big big drop was ahead so there was no time to slow but to continue accelerate.

When we got to the top of I believe called Fossil Rock, we had a group chit chat share of different experience during the drive, it was complete family thing and I can say everyone was expressing their positive feelings about the whole thing.

After gathering on top of mountain than driving back to the road it was also amazing experience, we had a chance to drive through desert like 60 70 kmph which I never tough will ever do it in my life and I really enjoyed to the max level.

At petrol station my gear was inspected by Marshal Rashid Jass and everything was in place, right now just waiting for (I AM NOT ADMIN to add star next to my name at forum :D)…

Thank you once again and see you next Friday!!

Regards,
Tekton
Tekton
Red Black JK
ShehabJK

Hi all

Good morning :)

First of all thanks to All the club Marshals For All The Help & Great Instructions,
This Was My First Drive With Almost 4X4 and it was really Amazing I was waiting since 3 months to join the club and finally, I DID It yuush and I will continue learning and joining the trips to be one of the marshals of Almos4X4 Family wink

thanks again to All :)

Shehab
Red JK
Shehab
Red JK
nedum
Club Member
Club Member

My first drive with Almost 4x4. Had driven in the desert numerous times before but this time, being a part of a convoy was a great experience. Special thank you to Jock and Yusuf. :)
Huge shoutout to all the other marshals who were there to guide us and keep an eye on us. Thank you. 👌🏽
Started the day off with cake, a good safety briefing and then we set off for the drive.
Learnt a lot, met a lot of new people. Had a wonderful time. :)
Here’s to many more.

Alexandar
Intermediate
Intermediate

Lots of first’s today….

My first almost 4x4 drive, my fist belly cresting, my first reports, . Lots of valuable lessons also learnt today.

Thank you to all the marshals and crew organizing the event and taking care of us lot.
It was a nice chilled morning, was hoping that the sandstorm that was coming from the west would not affect us.

We reached the start point of the drive and met such a large group of off roaders. Got welcomed into the club with cake as it was fellow members birthday. We also got to see a beast with a Viking beard play with sand mounds & toy cars…. Psmiley Once we got briefed, we got divided into 3 separate convoys.

We were in @JockJKU ‘s convoys. Got lined up… and headed off into the dunes. Our aim for the day was to traverse through the dunes and end up at the base of fossil rock.

As it was the first time travelling with a convoy and following instructions there was a lot going on. I learnt that any distraction and lack of focus resulted me getting stuck or falling too hard on the other side into a ditch.

So what did I learn on the trip
1) The importance of sands flags & calling out clear on the radio. I learnt that sand flag are not there just to make your car look coool cool . But its vital for the person behind you. Same goes with the radio. So many times, I was unsure whether to start my attempt of climbing a dune.
2) You have to be focused on each and every climb. Two times I lost focus on the climb and misjudged the momentum needed for the car to go over the edge and in turn got belly crested.
Keep enough of distance between the car in front. If you don’t you might not get enough of run up space.
3) Tie everything down in your car. That is from the tools, recovery gear, phones, walkie talkie, wife and kids as well. Anything that bumps around will distract you.
4) Eyes in front at all times. As @alshamsi once told me as a driver you can’t enjoy the landscape while driving, focus on what’s in front of you or the desert will bite you. You want to enjoy the landscape be a passenger.
5) How to control my anxiety and learn breathing techniques. Getting stuck and holding up a convey can sometimes build up anxiety, this shouldn’t be the case. Once you are free of getting stuck take 5 mins to calm down and then head off.
6) Keep your ego in check… after a few dunes it is only natural to become confident. But if you become over confident or cocky the next dune is waiting to teach you a lesson.

I loved the run up to fossil rock felt it was a great end to the drive. Loved being able to ‘floor it’ what an adrenaline rush redbullsmiley . We closed the drive at the petrol pump, chit chat with lots of friendly people. Got one of the marshals to inspect my gear. Now awaiting my first star.

Ps. I went for the GNFD last week, yesterday's was so much more fun.

Thanks to all.
Good luck and stay safe on all your future drives.

Regards,
Alexander
Stefano

Hi all,

This trip has been my very first off-road experience. I enjoyed a lot. It has been an amazing morning spent together. Thanks to the Marshalls for the worthful safety instructions. I started slow but after a while I felt myself more confident and relaxed. I am looking forward to participate to the next Newbie trip. Thanks again : )