Rescue the Marshal

Isfand
Intermediate
Intermediate

Training day because you are as good of a driver as your experience but sometimes before experience, theory is recommended. We got a taste of both today and a bonus at the end.

Reached the meeting point at 8AM. Greeted everyone and waited for people to come back from the camp. 1st instruction. Do not deflate. If you did deflate - please inflate 😂

We moved to another area where Bu Salem asked for vounteers to present their recovery equipment to show the different kinds and how to use them. Toy cars were lined up in different stuck situations and we were shown how to rescue in each scenario. People had some interesting questions and some myths were busted too.

We were asked to a choose a partner and to deliberately get stuck so my friend [mention]AbdulRahman[/mention] and I hit the dunes and he volunteered to get stuck first. My car decided it wanted to volunteer too so i got stuck on the flat ground next to him. What else would you expect 40psi to do? 😂 i deflated and i was out and ran to help [mention]AbdulRahman[/mention] and helped him dig. He deflated too and boom he was out.

Now my turn to get stuck so i did but then [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] thought it wasnt good enough so told me to get stuck some more. Haha.
We dug a little and I was out too. It worked and we learned.

The desert had plans for the others and some of them had to be stuck for longer. It was an hour that we were given.

Now what? Bye bye - go home? Nope!!!!! Bonus content unlocked! [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] to lead a short drive. I saw the Valkyrie getting out to line up and I immediately rushed to get as close to the marshal as possible. 2nd lead [mention]Scorpio[/mention] followed by BamBam which btw is the only name i could come up for my car.

The drive ended and we were on the road. Said my byes and off I was.. until next time Almosters!
vijayp

Very important open classoom training with demonstration was given. The team experience with stuking their cars and self rescuing. Interesting experience and enjoyed by all.
presa
Marshal
Marshal

After a great camp with Almost we had a Rescue the Marshal with a batch of 10+.

I believe any of them had done this drive before, so [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] explained in details several scenarios for rescuing in desert with important additions from [mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention] .

It is important to know your car, so I am attaching two videos from the Crawling Control System on Toyota's cars:

This is a very helpful feature, I hope you lear how to use it since it will surely help on the desert!
Scorpio
Marshal
Marshal

Hello Almosters,

We all love to go to the desert; for some nice scenery and wildlife, to get close to the nature, to make new friends and to meet with old ones and last but not the least to learn a new skill.

However, off-roading is risky especially if you don’t have enough knowledge of the situations that you can encounter in the sand whether you are going alone (though not recommended) or going with a convoy. It’s always better to get yourself familiarized with those situations and know how to tackle them if you come across with any.

I am proud to be part of the almost4x4 family who does not only provide us a safe environment to learn this skill but also arranges such theoretical sessions to explain the mechanics and physics of different unwanted situations one can face in the desert. This Friday’s RTM training session was conducted by [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] and the Marshals, wherein they explained about different situations where one can stuck in the sand and the recommended ways to either self-recover or to get recovered by another car safely. Some of the important points of the theory session were:

• Going alone to the desert is not recommended
• Always keep enough water with you and don’t allow yourself to dehydrate
• Use the easy shoveling technique with minimal effort
• The ‘Tic-Tic sound’ formula
• Recovering the ‘typical newbie’ belly stuck car
• Recovering the vehicle stuck on a crest in an attempt to do side cresting
• Recovering the vehicle who is stuck on flat ground in a soft sand patch
• Recovering the vehicle stuck sideways on a slope of a dune
• Assessing the situation – use of gravity and car weight while recovery
• Difference between various kinds of ropes and straps and use of their kinetic energy
• Use of both hard and soft shackles in different situations
• Proper technique to attach the hard shackles (Metal to Metal and Pin to Rope)
• Use of hook and towing points
• Recovering a car attached to your back towing point vs. front towing point
• Importance of communication while recovery
• Tire pressure adjustment when the car is stuck in soft sand on flat ground and the use of jack
• Last but not the least ‘DON’T PANIC’

Following the briefing, the fun started when all the newbies were allowed to drive in the sand but without deflating their tires ORLY . The ‘Buddy System’ was applied and the aim was to get stuck and then apply the explained techniques of recovery. As expected, almost everyone got stuck here and there in no time and some managed to travel some far only to also get stuck. The Marshals were floating around and assessing the situations, giving advises and instructions on recovery techniques in this practical session. For some of those so-called stuck or pretending to be stuck, the Marshals made sure to get them stuck properly before they start to apply the recovery techniques grin .

Well, I also had a self-challenge for myself on this day which was to drive at 15psi throughout the day. I was driving around those stuck scenes and the farthest vehicles I found stuck were the Nissan patrols duo (LW & SWB) who managed to reach quite far from the starting point with un-deflated tires thumbsup . It was a chaos everywhere but a planned one and I did not see anyone panicking. After one hour of exercise, the Marshals started calling everyone out but the show wasn’t over yet arr. .

We had a nice bonus drive awaiting us and Bu Salem took one convoy and [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] took the other convoy for a ride. I was in Daggerfall's convoy and was assigned to be 2nd lead. As mentioned before, I was running on 15psi but was driving on my own until now and only after I started driving behind Daggerfall I started feeling that I should deflate now you're kidding, right . But, coming out of the comfort zone is when the fun begins; I did not deflate and continued driving. After some time, I got the idea how to survive behind him at this psi ouch...it hurts brigade.baka-wolf.com. It was a very nice drive to the exit point thumbsup .

I would like to thank the organizer of the drive, Bu Salem, [mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention], [mention]Rashidjass[/mention], [mention]Booy[/mention], [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] and [mention]JockJKU[/mention] for their insights and knowledge sharing. It was great to see all the challengers and I hope you all have enjoyed and learnt something new in your off-roading journey.

I hope to get 5 uber stars from [mention]presa[/mention] to bring him back to the starting point :lol: :D

See you soon in the sand.

Cheers have a nice day
Scorpio
+971 55 5804488
Drives a grey FJ 'Everest'
The race for excellence has no finish line!
optimus
Marshal
Marshal

Very Nice report Scorpio! I was so much wanting to join this trip but unfo couldnt attend due to some emergency. It would be much appreciated if someone would share a video for each recovery scenario. Thanks!
Optimus
Black FJ (The Godfather)
Scorpio
Marshal
Marshal

optimus wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:57 pm Very Nice report Scorpio! I was so much wanting to join this trip but unfo couldnt attend due to some emergency. It would be much appreciated if someone would share a video for each recovery scenario. Thanks!
Thanks bro. Don't worry, there is always a next time.
Just tried to portray the day from my perspective but words can't explain even half of it! Hoping to see you soon...stay safe thumbsup
Scorpio
+971 55 5804488
Drives a grey FJ 'Everest'
The race for excellence has no finish line!
panos

Excellent description [mention]Scorpio[/mention] ! Very comprehensive.

Very useful lesson/drive the last one. Recovery/Self-recovery was always a concern for me till now, however, after our last meeting I feel more confident with my self. Maybe because I applied the theory and I was noticing till now in our drives.

We moved with inflated tires from the meeting point towards our exercise point. I had a feeling that [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] was hoping will get stuck till that point. have a nice day

[mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] and [mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention] gave us a comprehensive presentation of various scenarios that we may face and how we can make recovery/self recovery. After the theory, practice started. We split in pairs and the area was full with stuck/crested cars. [mention]Jasper[/mention] was my pair and we just needed 20m. for both of us to get crested. We started digging our selves out. It took us approximately 30'.

We all finished our recoveries around 11:15 and [mention]Booy[/mention] proposed to take us for a short 45' drive. [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] took the lead and we all lined up. Our drive finished around 12:30, having gained a lot of valuable technical knowledge for recovery scenarios.

Thank you all once again. See you in our next drive...
Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

Hi Almosters,

This event was a great opportunity for our members to learn how to use tools, how to make rescue in most common scenarios and what are the principles they can apply at most of the rescue situations.

As a newbie driver you could only experience few of these scenarios in a season that's why its is important to be a part of this event where the club shares with its members all this knowledge they developed with years of experience.

Applying the right technique , having and using the right tools can make the difference between solving a situation without any damage to your cars or harm anybody within couple of minutes or spending hours in the desert , damaging your cars or harming someone.

Never ever compromise from the quality of your recovery tools because the consequences might be devastating! And always asses the situation without any rush and choose the safest option even it doesn't look like the quickest one!

See you at the next event
Last edited by Daggerfall on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
" I feel the need, the need for Speed " cool

Drives Black FJ " VF-1 Valkyrie " , Mob: 050 725 09 31
Mohanad
Crew
Crew

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

no matter how many years you have been offroading wither alone or with the club or any other clubs, Rescue The Marshal is a must to attend !

the reason is that we dont see these recoveries everyday and things which we dont see or practice are easy to be forgotten ..

this drive or lets say "workshop" is extremely useful and necessary to polish our rescue skills.

thank you [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] and [mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention] for the flawless explanation of the rescue techniques and the science behind it. this is a very valuable information that you shared with us ... and the best part that we are all getting it for FREE !

my advice to all who did not attend it to make sure that you attend it in the future ..
If you Hesitate, Accelerate !
two_up

Hi Everyone

This was one the most valuable gatherings for me. Learning the most important thing in the sand, survival and rescue! As someone who camps with family often, this makes me more prepared.

Here are some pictures I took while being an observer. I am sharing these pictures in high resolution without any watermarks for the benefit of the club members, feel free to download for personal use. It will be appreciated if you post credit to photographer 'Rahul Samuel'.

This is a sample, rest can be seen at this link:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... d006643f42

Thank you all again!

--Edited text order and added preview image--