Mix & Match

kriskian
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi All,

I was driving last in the convoy and it was challenging to keep pace considering the chewed up track and the speed at which we needed to drive.
Have never driven at this speed in the desert before, this required another level of control in the sand especially around the S bends which would kill your speed and then required you to floor the Gas pedal to keep pace with the convoy.
It was great to drive with the group and catch up with the new members in the club
kriskian,
Grey FJ
Willie Viljoen

Good day all,

Sorry for the belated response but was a little busy.

My sincere appreciation to Booy and the organizers for a great drive on Friday. The drive was well planned and executed. I was in the convoy with Booy and as he said steep inclines with nearly straight drops, a healthy learning curve for that type of dunes.

Booy lead the convoy professionally and was well supported by other experienced Almosters and here I have to make an exception to mention a name but Barish was all over the show. Thank you Barish for all the help, assistance and guidance as well as for bringing me back when I lost the track. You really are a wonderful supporter for any Marshal.

Booy thank you for taking the time to bring the convoy together to explain the technique of straight cresting with a steep drop and another straight crest with steep drop at the bottom of the first drop. Thank you also for explaining the importance of radio communication to prevent accidents in a practical situation

Thank you every one in the convoy who participate to make the drive a wonderful experience. I have now completed my first learning curve in Almost4x4 and I am now set for learning more advance driving techniques with the 10+ Groups. Thank you all who made this possible.

Thank you to all the Organizers and crews for a great drive from me and my wife Ria

See you in the sand hopefully 9 November

Regards
Willie Viljoen
Sostick
Intermediate
Intermediate

What a fantastic drive! I was in Al Shamsi convoy and we were 16 cars. Really a good pace from everyone and just 2 or 3 second tries and one pop out. I really enjoy the drive and start using the second gear very often.

The lesson for me is to learn where to slow down. After a while we had to cross straight a serie of dunes and I took the first one way to fast... and flew... big bump at the front but no consequences. Just another lesson learned and something I’ll never forget!
Looking forward to the next one!

Sostick aka Francesco
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

Hello Everyone

Last Friday was an action weekend. I had a morning drive, afternoon drive and in between drive yaeh am not durnk . I was not going to lead the afternoon drive but we found out that [mention]JockJKU[/mention] busted his bump stop so we decided to take it easy on his car. I realized that I had to lead the 10+ so decided there is no better style than " DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT " Psmiley .

We had a smooth fast pace except for places that I had to stop and refill my car's radiator with water.

I had :

1. Burned hand
2. Over heated engine
3. Dead GPS
4. Dead Walkie Talkie
5. Dead Mobile
6. Busted Skid plate

YOU can imagine the satisfaction I had while driving back home blank

Till next time drive safely and keep the sand flying

P.S : Thanks [mention]Sostick[/mention] for letting me dip my burned hand in your COLD drinking water lll._.

Cheers
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
mquadros

As mentioned before the 10+ was a fast pace convoy. Bu Salem pushed as hard as his Suzuki could handle and the convoy responded very well.

Looking forward the next drive,

Mquadros
alshamsi_m
Founder
Founder

mquadros wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:49 am As mentioned before the 10+ was a fast pace convoy. Bu Salem pushed as hard as his Suzuki could handle and the convoy responded very well.

Looking forward the next drive,

Mquadros
That was not as hard as that Suzuki could handle shocked...again . Wait until you see it in Exam or leading intermediates thumbsup
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Rooies
Intermediate
Intermediate

It was a looooong week & I could not wait to get in the sand. Eventually it was Friday, drive day grin .

Willie & myself headed to the meeting & getting there saw only 2 cars, yes we were very early. We did the normal stuffies, deflating & setting up. Slowly but surely the cars started rolling in. Then from the far right side we saw a convoy heading in lead by a little blue Jimmy OSMILEY . I knew it was game on.

We had the briefing, Booy took the 10 - convoy & Shamsi the 10 +. We headed out & the pace was from the word go nice & fast, the little blue flying over the dunes with with the convoy keeping up or trying to keep up. It was a rollercoaster ride, up, down, left & right. Nice & fast. I was really having fun & using all the skills I have learned in the months. Overall the going was good with only a few second tries, I had one as well.

The little blue got a bit "upset" & overheated a bit, but that was short lived & we were on our way again, flying over the dunes & having lots of fun.

It was definitely one of my fastest drive to date & really enjoyed it. Thank you to Booy for organizing the drive & to all the other marshalls & inters keeping an eye on us. Thank you Shamsi for a very fast, exciting enjoyable drive.

I will be away on leave for the whole November, so till I see everybody again in the sand, take care & enjoy.

Greeting
Rooies
Nobody Gets Left Behind
Barish
Marshal
Marshal

The best thing of afternoon drives is the weather getting better opposite to morning drives. It was a good chit chat time with all in the famous patrol station. Then we decided to reach the meeting point through the sand almost around 6-7 cars; high speed, no stuck, no second try and no single word on the radio...!

Usual second tries and popout happened but i will repeat again: multiple tries are always better than jeopardizing yourself and the convoy. Key take aways from this drive are;

1) Radio comm
2) Following the instructions
3) Self situation evaluation
4) Giving clearance
5) Dont create your own track
6) Try to close the gaps in the convoy

Thanks to [mention]Booy[/mention] for the great lead with very well adjusted pace time to time, intermediate drivers for the support and all drivers made it a good drive at the end of the day without any problems.

Always keep in mind to make your chg an improvement.

Barish