All Lead IX

Mohanad
Crew
Crew

I just had my shower and said to my self that i need to share my view of todays drive before i go to bed.

1. Its the first time i felt the presure and the actual need to learn about my GPS.
2. I was really impressed with my fellow intermediates as they all did well and the level of the drive was high.
3. Driving in a convoy is something and leading one is totally deferent.
4. We never know our true potentials unless we get the chance.
5. Driving and navigating at the same time is not easy at all especially when [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] is behind you.
6. Going as a passenger with a leading car is very useful and will help you in understanding how the marshals choose the route.
7. Sweihan is beautiful.
8. Almost4x4 rocks
9. God bless you all

I just want to request from our Marshals to organize this drive more often. Doing it every quarter would be great. I feel that today i gained a huge experience more than any other drive i did it before.

See you in the sand ..
If you Hesitate, Accelerate !
Agalon
Marshal
Marshal

I had so much fun today... I really congratulate all the participant intermediates. You guys really rocked!!! The pace, level and everything was a totally proper intermediate drive. Area was amazing and you made good use of it !!!
I felt the pride of being part of a group like this and this was a very good example of what it’s always been said about our intermediate level when compared to other clubs :))

Take care and see you next time...
AGALON
/ Wrangler JK'18
JockJKU
Club Member
Club Member

Morning All!

What a great afternoon! I really enjoyed yesterday, thanks to everyone that made it possible!!

Inters - wow, great effort! We have an awesome batch of really good drivers! I wish the sun stayed up longer, you guys were rocking!!

Due to the mix in leading styles we really experienced a lot of what Sweihan has to offer!!

Thanks again to you all for making it great fun!

Jock
Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

Hi Almosters

It was an amazing afternoon in the desert and I believe me and my passenger [mention]Johanna[/mention] had the best seats grin as a second lead behind the leading cars

Every driver started leading fresh and "motivated" so it was a non stop , 3 hours fun for us following one driver after another thumbsup . Different cars, different styles and different pace you're kidding, right

As we discussed in the briefing, this was about navigating in the desert while having fun at the same time. Being aware of your location, your target point, controlling time and distance and having good time. And we had a lot of "good time" thumbsup

I believe this experience gave you an opportunity to see which areas to improve, getting familiar with your GPS device grin and also controlling your emotions while leading a convoy.

As mentioned before I am also grateful to see how much you guys developed and proud to be part of this family .

You guys gave me great time as a second lead and I am planning to return the "favor" in the upcoming drives Psmiley

Thanks to [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] [mention]Rashidjass[/mention] [mention]Booy[/mention] [mention]Solmaz[/mention] [mention]JockJKU[/mention] [mention]Agalon[/mention] for the great support during the drive making this event amazing and all participated!

See you next time!
" I feel the need, the need for Speed " cool

Drives Black FJ " VF-1 Valkyrie " , Mob: 050 725 09 31
presa
Marshal
Marshal

Hi Almosters!

I had never lead in Seweihan, so was a bit anxious to get it moving, just to get a bit more of it melt when I was told I was the first leader.

Well... this was my first All Lead, and since I am for about 1 year as intermediate, was among the few drives that I hadn't experience yet (up to intermediate).

We started with a brief from [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] that explained about the drive, the leading, the points to be followed and NOT GO CRAZY!! I don't know what he mentioned that to this nice bunch of guys ninja ninja ninja ninja
[mention]Shamsi[/mention] also emphasize the idea of having fun and DON'T GOING CRAZY since the area isn't an easy one and the idea was to develop leading capabilities, not to show off....

We lined up and after a few moments start driving.
Took me about 3 dunes to get on the right mood... after a side crest (that looks perfect for me, but hope my 2nd lead don't disagree) I got the confidence to drive on an Almoster Intermediate level...
We went from Point 1 to Point 2 in about 4 min, with a few climbings and side crest... after it, I slowed to put Point 3 on GPS and start playing again!
From Point 2 to Point 3 we had a few side crest, climbing from both soft and hard sides, some slides, keeping the car on top of the crest (inspired on [mention]Rashidjass[/mention] ) and I was really enjoying it!
Just when I arrived to Point 3, and was reaching GPS to point back to 2 Mr. [mention]JockJKU[/mention] , the timekeeper interrupted my fun time and told me that my time was over.... I felt like a kid whose lollipop just got taken....
After being the 1st leader I went for the back of the convoy, overtook by [mention]Scorpio[/mention] .

It is interesting to mention that several times I couldn't know who was leading, since at the back of the convoy you barely could see the leading car, but whenever there was a change in Leader you could immediate fell the different driving style!

I thank all Marshals and support team for this drive, I had tons of fun on it! Hope who was following also enjoy it!

See you all at the sand!
giorgio
Marshal
Marshal

All Lead IX:

Following the fast in Sweihan drive Scarlett went in for the usual weekly maintenance (its a Jeep thing) and her and I both prepared our selves for the all lead drive.

This is the first time that i would participate in such event, so i did not really knew what to expect. Throughout the week I was little nervous in regards to how i will perform so i was anticipating for Thursday to arrive ( meeting point release).

In my way home from work on Thursday evening and as i was driving and daydreaming that i was in the dunes (while i was actually on 311) suddenly Scarlett decided to play a little trick on me and blow the seal and bearing of the back right wheal.

I stopped to check what the problem was, just to find differential oil splashed all over the rear of the car.

I drove straight to the garage hoping that i will be lucky and it will be a quick fix. i was worrying that i will not be able to attend the drive but i didn't loose hope. Long story short my guys on the garage stood by me and they prioritize my jeep and put me back on the road the same evening.

Relieved from the fact that i will not miss the drive i went home and prepared for the next day.

Late that evening and as I was relaxing a message came from [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] for the All Lead drivers to check their PM's.

The Pm contained a gpx file with the points and we all needed to have them downloaded to our GPS's and be ready for the drive.

For my bad luck my base camp and download cable for the GPS was at my office and not in my house. So i had to drive to Sharjah on a Thursday evening ( crazy traffic day).

By the time i finished it was 3 am and i was dead tiered.

The next day I drove to the meeting point and was united with the rest of the drivers and we were all waiting to hear the rules of the game.

[mention]Daggerfall[/mention] went around and gave the points to each driver and explained the rules of the game:

1) we all have 15 min of leading
2) relax and enjoy the drive
3) It is not who will drive faster or climb the biggest dune
4) It is about understanding the desert, knowing where you are, manage your time
and destination.
5) drive safe and to your level.
6) if you are too slow the lead car will not follow you and it will change route
7) if you are too fast the lead car will not follow you and it will change route
8) each of the drivers had to go to 3 out of 17 points in sequence. For example i
was to go to point 14-15 and back to point 14 and the next car had to go 14-15-
16 and so one.

The order of the convoy was that the older intermediates will be at the front of the convoy and the fresh ones (like myself) will be at the back.

The drive started with @pressa taking the first lead and @scorpio having the second turn.

The first leading car gave us a very nice start and we all start adjusting to his style but before we know @jockJKU which was the time keeper called for a lead change.

As was mentioned on previous reports although seen the leading car was not an option we could definitely feel the different style of driving from the leading cars.

From the beginning of the drive and for quite some time the desert landscape belong to the ALMOST 4x4 but as the time went by more clubs flooded the area to a point that where ever we will turn to go, we will bump into a incoming traffic.

This is were our Support (advance drivers and Marshall) shine the most. Like a trained guards they surrounded the convoy providing a safe ring and they covered all the entrances for incoming traffic to our convoy giving the safe feeling to the rest of us to focus on our mission.
It is not easy to be a lead you have so many things to worry about and the last thing you need is to have to deal for driving conflicts with other convoys.

As i was saying under the safety ring provided we continue driving and enjoying our time.

By the time my turn came up it was getting to late and the traffic in the area was way too heavy, so after 2-3 minutes of me leading it was decided that we run out of time and it would safer to all group up and have a @daggerfall lead us out of the desert.

When we all gathered we enjoyed @alsamshi coffee and we drove to the exit point.

The drive overall was very enjoyable and we all had great time.

I would like to thank all the drivers for their great performance and i would like to specially thank the support team for their amazing skills of been everywhere they needed to be at all times.

Before i close my report i would like to highlight one more thing, the contribution of @alsamshi during the drive.

We all know that our founder is a capable driver and all the other good staff, but on this drive I've notice a side of him that i had not seen before.

With @daggerfall been busy as a second lead, our rescue team providing a safe convoy ring and @jockjku been occupied with time taken, you would thing that having some extra help would have been beneficial, well the answer is not there was not need for anything more than @alsamshi. He was looking out for all the details that fell through the cracks over the period of the drive.
1) position of the drivers
2) calling for unsafe stopping locations
3) changing routes and coordinates to ensure that our convoy is not making the rest of the groups in the desert uncomfortable
Over all he was multitasking and was calculating every threat and scenario of what could have happen and provide a way out of it before it happens.

Finally a big shout to our @daggerfall for organizing this event and giving us the opportunity to feel how it is to be a leading car.

Until next time drive safe.
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of the sheep
Scorpio
Marshal
Marshal

I am extremely thankful to almost4x4, my second family, to teach me this skill that I knew nothing about before joining this family. The art of off-roading in an adventurous yet safe way is mastered by our Founders and Marshals and hats off to their skills, the way they teach us and the patience that they have to give enough attention to each learner.

Although, I have been to this this drive last year as a passenger (when I was a newbie) and knew about the rules but as for many others, this was my first experience in leading in Sweihan. I was excited but, unusual of me, was not nervous or scared (don’t know why, weird… ORLY). Unfortunately, before the All Lead drive my car traction control had some issue in the morning and the traction light was continuously lit on the speedometer and the car was not behaving ‘as expected’ in the sand. I had a word with [mention]Rashidjass[/mention] on that and after careful inspection and analysis I decided to come for the drive.

As explained in the earlier trip reports, the drive was planned in a way that each Inter was given 15 min to lead and to reach to his assigned GPS points. [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] provided the briefing and the GPS points to all the participants and [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] informed us about the drive rules. The emphasis was to lead the convoy and navigate in a safe way to the assigned points. The Founder and Marshals were very clear that they already know our driving skills and capabilities and showing off in any way will be a negative point. We were advised to use our navigational skills and drive the intermediate level; if we drive below the level then the Marshals will tell us to increase the level and if we drive above the level then the Marshals will tell us to decrease the level. Failure to comply means that the Marshal who was at the second lead position would leave you melt. Bu Salem showed us a prototype also there to help us understand the safe way to do side cresting and in case of miscalculation of the angle or momentum one should turn down for re-attempt rather than fighting the gravity. [mention]JockJKU[/mention] was the time keeper in this drive to inform Daggerfall when to change the lead car.

So, I was the second Intermediate to lead after [mention]presa[/mention] and given the opportunity to go to points in the sequence of 3 - 4 - 3. The moment Jock announced that presa’s 15 min are completed we stopped and Daggerfall told me to come to the lead position.
I would say ‘I LOVED IT’. It was an amazing experience to lead the convoy with Daggerfall at your back – instead of being scared I was actually feeling protected with him at my back thumbsup. I drove from point 3 to 4 and had fun on the dunes and crests. Did side cresting, made arches, negotiated the dunes where I found the crest was not approachable to cross. While I was driving, whenever I used to see a nice sharp long crest I preferred to approach it even if it means by making a loop at the flat area and it was working well for me and I was enjoying.

There was one area where I decided to climb a dune and it was having the climb then a ‘not-so-proper balcony and then the climb again. The moment I reached the balcony I noticed it is not safe to do the next climb so it decided to turn down to avoid risking the convoy because I found the climb angle after the balcony as not safe (in my personal opinion and as per my capability) and I am sure for the Marshals it would be just ‘another’ climb ninja. At another point, after doing a side crest I found a half cut tree trunk brigade.baka-wolf.com; I was lucky for landing ahead of the tree after the crest but it could have been the other way around also...and I realized how much risk the lead car takes every week for us in the drives and how much immaculate reflexes you need to react to such situations while leading.

After reaching point 4, I told the marshals over the radio that now I am going to navigate back to point 3. I found it easy to reach to point 4 actually and I think I did it in 5 min or less but going back to point 4 took rest of the 10 min. It was not difficult but it’s just that I was playing and enjoying what the terrain had to offer and going parallel to the planned line of navigation. Although, I travelled the equal distance back to point 3 but was not exactly at the point rather was parallel to it, may be 2 or 3 dunes to the left side because on my GPS device it was showing at my 2 o’clock when @Jock announced that my 15 min are over. Like in school exams, when you wish if you could have some more time to finish I felt the same at that time and wanted to drive more but rule is a rule and we had other intermediates also to lead. So after my turn, I went to the end of the convoy and overtook by @Issa.

Well, at the back of the convoy, as many said before, I felt very clearly different driving styles and pace with each different intermediates leading and it was a back-to-back action packed drive with no breaks in between as such. It was a RAINBOW drive when it comes to the off-roading styles and I think we all felt it very clearly. I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed every ones lead and had to switch my style to cope up every 12-15 min.

Bu Salem had strategically placed himself in the middle of the convoy and was changing his front car every time with the change of the lead car. He was instrumental in keeping an eye on the convoy even though he was driving in the middle and that shows his vast experience and knowledge. We had @Booy, Jock, @Solmaz and @Agalon floating around the convoy and making sure that every one is safe and is connected with the convoy. I would like to thank almost4x4 for providing us this great opportunity to lead the convoy and to learn a new skill.

You don’t know how strong you are, until you come face to face with your fear.. yuush

Great day in the sand….see you soon.

Cheers
Scorpio
+971 55 5804488
Drives a grey FJ 'Everest'
The race for excellence has no finish line!
Raja
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello Everyone

well i am excited in writing this trip report after having a lot of fun in this event.

i reached at the meeting point it was good to see others already there, daggerfal gave us points and after that he gave us little briefing and Shamsi added some points into the briefing.

my point were 13-14 and back to 13. the drive started with fast pace and amazing to see my fellow drivers leading the convoy. i started almost near to point number 12 making my way to point number 13 and 14, the area where my point was i remember we drove the same area in drive fast 4.0, while going back to point number 13 i choose a high ground so all convoy can pass through, my time got finished just near to point number 13, and the leader changed.

it was my first of new experience being a member of this club, no doubt i would have been nothing if i dont join this club. all the experience i got, the skills i got is because of the marshals and it showed up in this drive. thanks again for guiding us and helping us improving our driving skills in the desert.

see you all again in the next drive
Raja

Nissan Pathfinder
"Force Behind the Forces"
Booy
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the great reports thus far. I am looking forward to reading reports from all the other int drivers who also had their chances of leading.

When I arrived at the meeting point, I had flashbacks to my first "All Lead". Both @Daggerfall and myself attended the same "All Lead" drive as intermediate drivers, and I was the first to lead. I was the youngest intermediate at the time, but alphabetically, B was the first to go. Yeah, I was nervous, and I could see the same nervousness on some faces on Friday.

Most members arrived early and it was good to chit chat before the drive and to catch up with everyone. I think I saw some relieve on nervous faces when we assured everyone that this is not an exam, this is not a show of how fast, how high, or how crazy stunts you can perform, and neither is it a showdown.

The drive started off well, and @Presa did not allow anyone much time for warm up, which was great. It was nice to see everyone's different driving styles, techniques, strengths and weaknesses. Everyone lead us on a safe trail. The drive also ended on a high note, with @Giorgio managing to give us the hardest climb in the entire drive. Although he only had 2 minutes to lead before nightfall, he managed to use those 2 minutes to give everyone a good final challenge before we left the desert.

Thank you to everyone who joined this event and made it a very enjoyable day in the desert.

See you in the sand..
@Booy

Blue FJ Cruiser, with an Atlas on the door
Issa
Advance
Advance

Good evening almosters

I was waiting for the all lead event for a long time... guess what, I made it this time.

Met with [mention]hamzahng[/mention] , [mention]Mo Sh[/mention] , [mention]Mohanad[/mention] on dubai-alain road and we drove as a convoy to the meeting point.

When we reached the meeting point, we deflated, and greeted the people and took our points and breifing was done by [mention]Daggerfall[/mention]

The convoy started to move with [mention]presa[/mention] as leader and [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] all as a second lead, after some time [mention]presa[/mention] shifted to the end of the convoy for [mention]Scorpio[/mention] to lead and I was in the third place as a leader.

Words will never end describing this experience, all in all our intermediate drivers all demonstrated amazing leading skills with different routes to utilize all the thrill and fun of sweihan. Great job Intermediates!

Last but not least, I would love to thank all Marshalls, crew, and advanced drivers for the support making sure everybody is back home safe and sound.

Until the next time, see you soon in liwa.✌✌