Hunting High and Low

Phoenix
Crew
Crew

Petr wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:32 am When the rest disappeared, we remained alone with our convoy leader and the group got silent as the grave, we keenly awaited for his words. And Yogi said, I have no plan today, not even GPS, let's go and play!
ohh man I can only imagine the look on everyone's face, where everyone is dead silent and just keeping their radios close to their heads and then hearing Yoghy say those words!!! some would get worried OSMILEY and some would just have a big smile on their face. grin
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
giorgio
Marshal
Marshal

Hunting high and low:

Coming back from a long summer break, i was happy and exited to see all the family gathered together (since it was pretty much all Newbie in with plenty rescue.
The meeting point was crowded with a total of 3 off road clubs and one biker's club.
The weather was the usual itself, humid and warm.

[mention]Solmaz[/mention] guided the participants and separated them to 3 convoys.
1) 5- [mention]Solmaz[/mention]
2) 5+ [mention]JockJKU[/mention]
3) 10+ [mention]Yoghybear[/mention] Oups None of us saw that coming

Our Chief was up to the task to take the 10+ to play. I recall one of my fellows coming to me and asking if i had any extra diapers ( i guess they all know that i always carry with me ) to share with him, the remark was funny at that moment but the truth was that indeed i wish i had, because during the briefing many people if not all could use a pair of heavy duty ones.

The briefing was one of the briefings that i will never forgot. I am not into cameras and pictures but this was the first time that i really wished i had a camera to record that moment in time. It was priceless

As the rest of the convoys were leaving, we were instructed to stay behind as we will go to play on the other side of where they are going and the briefing will be held right on the meeting point.

As I was waiting for the briefing to start i could not not noticed the electrified atmosphere. The group was unease and nervous and that was just the beginning.
Then Chief started the briefing as follows:

Good morning all, The truth is that i decided only last night that i will join and i have not prepare anything for today, so we will drive as it comes and we will see. Actually i do not have even a navigation.
I am not familiar with all of you so: what do you want me to do on this drive? What about side cresting have you guys done any?

The question was clear and directed to all the drivers. There was no answer from any one us. Silent was as silent as it could be. By coincidence at that specific moment not even a car was passing by. Dead silence covered the convoy that lasted even up to 30 seconds (and believe me it felt like a month without a drive on the desert) it was like the time had stopped. I looked around and the drivers were petrified. I would say that we were frozen in time (exception was [mention]Johanna[/mention] which managed to gather her strength and give a hesitant hand movement, the international hand move of So &SO)

The Chief not having a reply to his question continued.
The reason I am asking is because we don't want to have a roll over today.
If you guys want I can give you a roll over in the first five minutes. Now at this exact moment it was that i could use the diaper bag to be passed around and all drivers will take their share and immediately wear a double layer.

The non responsive crowed fell into a coma. No response again.
'
Then the Chief said Good lets go play.

He turned around and he started walking while the drivers maintained their positions for several moments.
the look in everybody's phases were like lamps on an Easter morning.

The drive started with a short warm up but it was not the usual. It felt more like what you see on an F1 (formula one) cirque. Small technical dunes doing 180 degree turn followed by a short straight line followed by 180 degree and so on.

The convoy got to pass the briefing shock and was keeping up fairly well. Overall it went very well with few interruptions. We had a pop out, very few stucks, and several second tries.

The weak points of the convoy were the luck of communication mostly related to second tries and luck of maintaining proper distance to ensure the convoy flowing.

At the end of the drive all the drivers were thrilled. I dont know if it was the feeling of surviving or the felling of accomplishment or even both at the same time.
One think is for sure it was one HELL of a drive and every body survived to talk about it.

Special congratulation to the [mention]Saeed FJ[/mention] for his rescue chain and to [mention]Gabor[/mention] who had his hands full pulling most of the rescue load of the drive.

For the Organizer I have to say Thank you for putting the event together and for [mention]Yoghybear[/mention] thank you for the amazing drive and we are all looking forward to one more.

Until next time Almoners have fun and be safe

See you on the sand soon
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of the sheep
presa
Marshal
Marshal

Hi Almosters!

We had a good an late summer drive, where temperatures were bearable, with 3 full convoys.

I was with [mention]JockJKU[/mention] leading and [mention]Agalon[/mention] and [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] floating around.

Jock did an amazing job on keeping a 5+ to 10 level on the drive.

We were driving from Nawza to Pink Rock on small dunes AGAINST the wind, meaning climbing from the soft side of the dunes. This was the cause of 95% of the stucks and 2nd tries within our group. Most times the drivers were following the patch without adjusting the angle by being on the soft side of the dune.

Beside above mentioned small room for improvements... anyone can easily see that the drivers are improving his skills, being able to drive safer, smoother, faster and at higher levels!

A special thanks for [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] for the great photos and sorry for the sand shower.... :oops: :oops: :oops:
giorgio
Marshal
Marshal

Sostick wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:05 pm Another great trip with Almost4by4! thank you soo much guys! and beautiful shots Daggerfall!!!
Nice report Psmiley Psmiley Psmiley I totally felt like i was there
presa
Marshal
Marshal

giorgio wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:43 am
Sostick wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:05 pm Another great trip with Almost4by4! thank you soo much guys! and beautiful shots Daggerfall!!!
Nice report Psmiley Psmiley Psmiley I totally felt like i was there
You are in monday morning mood.... dark mood dark mood dark mood dark mood
Petr
Intermediate
Intermediate

[mention]giorgio[/mention] , looks like you had a recorder at the briefing. You remember all Chief said, and it is true :D. Funny report!
giorgio
Marshal
Marshal

Petr wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:03 am @giorgio , looks like you had a recorder at the briefing. You remember all Chief said, and it is true :D. Funny report!
how something like this can be forgoten
AMounir
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hi all ALMOSTers,

Reached meeting point a little bit early to notice it was crowed with other off road club, everyone started to arrive one by one and just before the briefing I noticed a truck pulling up to park next to mine ..... wait a minute I have only heard about this truck and driver .... is he going to join? which convoy? it was our chief marshal truck .... oh man I really wish to drive with him. Briefing was clear, organized and then [mention]Solmaz[/mention] was assigning marshals to each convoy ... then we heard her assigning [mention]Yoghybear[/mention] to 10+ convoy .... everyone went oooohhhhhh in anticipation of the thrilling drive they are going to have grin

I joined the convoy led by [mention]Solmaz[/mention] and the watchful eyes of [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] [mention]Rashidjass[/mention] and interns as well. The drive was for sure a level up in terms of keeping good pace (speed + distance), challenges (how to cross obstacles with the right momentum and technique). Also [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] briefed us about how to gain momentum to climb up hill "S technique" + a demo which every member in the convoy followed.

The convoy drove in a steady pace doing safari style, straight cresting, fast direction change all in all it was fantastic drive with many things to learn.

Thanks to [mention]Solmaz[/mention] for organizing this trip and for all marshals and supporting team for their advice and support.

Till next time, cheers
@AMounir

Panthera pardus
Mohanad
Crew
Crew

giorgio wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:24 am Hunting high and low:

Coming back from a long summer break, i was happy and exited to see all the family gathered together (since it was pretty much all Newbie in with plenty rescue.
The meeting point was crowded with a total of 3 off road clubs and one biker's club.
The weather was the usual itself, humid and warm.

@Solmaz guided the participants and separated them to 3 convoys.
1) 5- @Solmaz
2) 5+ @JockJKU
3) 10+ @Yoghybear Oups None of us saw that coming

Our Chief was up to the task to take the 10+ to play. I recall one of my fellows coming to me and asking if i had any extra diapers ( i guess they all know that i always carry with me ) to share with him, the remark was funny at that moment but the truth was that indeed i wish i had, because during the briefing many people if not all could use a pair of heavy duty ones.

The briefing was one of the briefings that i will never forgot. I am not into cameras and pictures but this was the first time that i really wished i had a camera to record that moment in time. It was priceless

As the rest of the convoys were leaving, we were instructed to stay behind as we will go to play on the other side of where they are going and the briefing will be held right on the meeting point.

As I was waiting for the briefing to start i could not not noticed the electrified atmosphere. The group was unease and nervous and that was just the beginning.
Then Chief started the briefing as follows:

Good morning all, The truth is that i decided only last night that i will join and i have not prepare anything for today, so we will drive as it comes and we will see. Actually i do not have even a navigation.
I am not familiar with all of you so: what do you want me to do on this drive? What about side cresting have you guys done any?

The question was clear and directed to all the drivers. There was no answer from any one us. Silent was as silent as it could be. By coincidence at that specific moment not even a car was passing by. Dead silence covered the convoy that lasted even up to 30 seconds (and believe me it felt like a month without a drive on the desert) it was like the time had stopped. I looked around and the drivers were petrified. I would say that we were frozen in time (exception was @Johanna which managed to gather her strength and give a hesitant hand movement, the international hand move of So &SO)

The Chief not having a reply to his question continued.
The reason I am asking is because we don't want to have a roll over today.
If you guys want I can give you a roll over in the first five minutes. Now at this exact moment it was that i could use the diaper bag to be passed around and all drivers will take their share and immediately wear a double layer.

The non responsive crowed fell into a coma. No response again.
'
Then the Chief said Good lets go play.

He turned around and he started walking while the drivers maintained their positions for several moments.
the look in everybody's phases were like lamps on an Easter morning.

The drive started with a short warm up but it was not the usual. It felt more like what you see on an F1 (formula one) cirque. Small technical dunes doing 180 degree turn followed by a short straight line followed by 180 degree and so on.

The convoy got to pass the briefing shock and was keeping up fairly well. Overall it went very well with few interruptions. We had a pop out, very few stucks, and several second tries.

The weak points of the convoy were the luck of communication mostly related to second tries and luck of maintaining proper distance to ensure the convoy flowing.

At the end of the drive all the drivers were thrilled. I dont know if it was the feeling of surviving or the felling of accomplishment or even both at the same time.
One think is for sure it was one HELL of a drive and every body survived to talk about it.

Special congratulation to the @Saeed FJ for his rescue chain and to @Gabor who had his hands full pulling most of the rescue load of the drive.

For the Organizer I have to say Thank you for putting the event together and for @Yoghybear thank you for the amazing drive and we are all looking forward to one more.

Until next time Almoners have fun and be safe

See you on the sand soon

Man you just made me laugh a lot. Many of the drivers did not have to deal with the bear because he is really busy nowadays. when i joined the club, most of the drives were lead by either YoghyBear or Bu Salem. so it was like either you play with the bear or swim with the shark LOOOL
If you Hesitate, Accelerate !
Rooies
Intermediate
Intermediate

Was looking forward to the drive, was going to be nice & "relaxed" 5+ cool .....

I got to the meeting point, did the usual stuff & went for briefing & chatting with everybody along the way. I greeted Shamsi, he grinned at me & said " I apologize for what I am going to do to you today ". I laughed & asked if I was in trouble, he replied " Not yet... grin "

The convoys were dealt in & then I realized what he meant, I was in the convoy with Yoghybear. The other two convoys left & we stayed behind, as Kals said he all just stood there not saying a word. Our briefing was short & sweet, " I have no GPS, I did not plan, lets go have fun".

The first part we went over small technical dunes & once or twice I saw to much of the underside of Petr's car infront of me going over a dune. Then we hit the big stuff, the pace picked up as the dunes got higher. The radio comms was a bit poor in the beginning, did not hear all the second tries in front of me.

Myself I had a few second tries, better to bail than to make a BIG mistake. One of my second tries landed me right at the back of the convoy. We stopped, regrouped & chatted about a few issues (nothing major). Radio comms also was much better after that. We stopped at the big dune where I last time messed up by being in the wrong gear, this time right gear & no issue. We grouped again & then had the opportunity to go round the bowl twice, was really an awesome experience (my first time to do that), then we continued on. We heard over the radio Kals had a technical problem, we stopped & they regrouped as soon as they had sorted out the issue. We played a little bit longer & then it was time to leave the sand again bouaaaaah .

This was a very enjoyable drive & hats of to Yoghybear, he does not need a GPS.

Every time in the sand I learn something new & sometimes I forget what I learned the previous time.

Till we meet in the sand again, take care & be safe.

Greeting
Rooies
Nobody Gets Left Behind