To the Top

Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

Hi Almosters,

We met at Badayer shops in the afternoon. "Surprisingly" it was empty brigade.baka-wolf.com.

The plan was to go through all the big dune groups till Iftar Bowl and we started rolling.

Due to "hot weather" most of the other offroaders were off so this gave us the chance to drive on a relatively track free area, which I believe increased the fun thumbsup

We had a "big" convoy and in some moments stretched over more than one km. but thanks to [mention]JockJKU[/mention] [mention]Barish[/mention] and [mention]SINGH[/mention] they always watched over the convoy, connected when the gap became bigger, guide members in tricky situations and made sure nobody is left behind you're kidding, right . And all our intermediates were there when the help is needed (Sorry its a long list! grin ) Thank you all guys! You did the hard work yesterday!

Despite some few tricky situations everyone did well in general.

I just have few points to remind our members

1. Keeping correct distance (Not too Short! Not too Long!)
2. Good communication
3. Following the instructions of our Adv drivers and Explorers.

All in all it was a day full of fun and I hope my passenger [mention]Phoenix[/mention] also enjoyed the drive too.

See you next time!
" I feel the need, the need for Speed " cool

Drives Black FJ " VF-1 Valkyrie " , Mob: 050 725 09 31
giorgio
Marshal
Marshal

Daggerfall wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:07 am Hi Almosters,

We met at Badayer shops in the afternoon. "Surprisingly" it was empty brigade.baka-wolf.com.

The plan was to go through all the big dune groups till Iftar Bowl and we started rolling.

Due to "hot weather" most of the other offroaders were off so this gave us the chance to drive on a relatively track free area, which I believe increased the fun thumbsup

We had a "big" convoy and in some moments stretched over more than one km. but thanks to @JockJKU @Barish and @SINGH they always watched over the convoy, connected when the gap became bigger, guide members in tricky situations and made sure nobody is left behind you're kidding, right . And all our intermediates were there when the help is needed (Sorry its a long list! grin ) Thank you all guys! You did the hard work yesterday!

Despite some few tricky situations everyone did well in general.

I just have few points to remind our members

1. Keeping correct distance (Not too Short! Not too Long!)
2. Good communication
3. Following the instructions of our Adv drivers and Explorers.

All in all it was a day full of fun and I hope my passenger @Phoenix also enjoyed the drive too.

See you next time!
@Phoenix should write a report too
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of the sheep
Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

@Phoenix should write a report too

I agree thumbsup

Rooies
Intermediate
Intermediate

Good day all

I was really looking forward to this trip, as it would be a step up from what I was used to brigade.baka-wolf.com

We met at the shops & went through the usual drill. The briefing was short & sweet, the convoy was dealt in & I ended up nearly right at the back with Hakkoum bringing up the rear.

From the go the pace was nice & fast & flowing over the dunes, the we hit the fun part. As previously stated by Daggerfall, following distance, following distance, the track was up & down, snaking over the dunes. On a few occasions I was to close to Osman & ended up in a sticky situation because I was to close, that resulted in a few second tries without a major issues. I could see the convoy heading the dunes, looked like a big snake moving over the dunes.

On the first stop I told Osman that i will make the gap bigger & Hakkoum also decided to do the same, after that it was "smooth sailing" all the way.

There were a few second tries & two pop outs, the last one (Kals) drew the most attention with Jock keeping a watchful eye thumbsup .

We stopped at the big bowl & there was other clubs also in the area, again Barish was the enforcer & blocked them so that we can pass safely. We each got a chance to ride up the big dune & stop at the top. When it was my turn I ended up making a bad decision, which nearly caused me not to get to the top(wrong gear selection), but I made it at a crawl grin .

We all gather, had a chit chat & then it was time to go home.

It was very nice drive for me, learned a few new things (following distance, momentum are your friends).

Thank you Daggerfall for organizing the trip, thanx to the sweepers for keeping an eye on us & helping to resolve & prevent mishaps.

Till we meet again in the sand, take care my friends.

Greeting
Rooies
Nobody Gets Left Behind
Kals
Intermediate
Intermediate

To quote the LEGO movie: “everything is awesoooooome”
The drive was different to the ones we are generally used to. This was my first 10+ drive AND this was one of the first times I’m actually that close to the front, car number 4 out of the entire convoy.
A couple of second tries and a popout didn’t deter me. It was still an amazing drive!! Gotta say I need to learn how to maiantain a bigger distance between me and the car in front of me so going to work on that!

Honestly the speed of the drive and the climbs were absolutely exhilarating and I cannot wait until winter comes and the cool weather is around the corner!
Truck driver
Oversized man child
Red GMC aka The Juggernaut killzonesmiley
Phoenix
Crew
Crew

Hey Everyone,

I was the passenger of [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] and boy was I glad that I was in the lead car. When the marshall's say that they can only pray for whatever is on the other side while going over a dune, it is true to the point.

The convoy started with a few hick ups but then we picked up the pace and it ran smoothly pretty much through out the drive except a few snags, I am not sure but I think [mention]Kals[/mention] had a pop out grin

We were taking the convoy from one big set of dunes to the other, so we had nice long climbs and drops with the view changing from being a tall set of dunes in front of us to a horizon filled with peacefully beautiful golden dunes… but then daggerfall would sprinkle some technical spots in the drive and would say to me “lets see who survives this bit” and within 20 seconds we would hear “this is xxxxx… I’m doing a second try” or “daggerfall daggerfall… please stop we have a stuck car”

DURING the drive Daggerfall asked me a few times “enjoying??” and all I would say was “A LOT” as I was busy trying to learn as much as I could, after sometime I started replicating his throttle and brake movements by my legs and to my surprise I started anticipating where he would point the nose. I would keep searching and scanning for the “acceptable” routes and daggerfall would point the car there not knowing that I had thought of the same route and making me smile in my head. Just when I would think “ok I think I am ready for 10+” he would sprinkle some technical stuff in the drive and we would get a few stuckups.

I also saw so many of the drivers not being able to keep proper distance, I myself have been a culprit of the same on many occasions as it’s not easy to keep proper distance all the time specially if the guy in front of you is breaking and speeding unexpectedly. Any how we would drive for a few minutes then daggerfall would point out someone not being able to keep proper distance and in a few minutes we would hear from the same guy that he is either stuck or doing a second try.

I started catching and noticing all these things, making mental notes of the do’s and don’ts but nothing can prepare you for the unknown. Every single time we would cross a tall crest, my and daggerfall’s head would rise with our necks stretched up in synchronization and really all we could do was pray.

While doing a big climb daggerfall radios in “ok guys FLOOR IT!!” and we dash straight towards a tall climb, after reaching summit of the climb we snake our way towards right and keep driving in the general direction taking over minor bumps and smaller dunes. I see Bu Zayed on our right followed by KALS and as if Daggerfall was reading my thoughts out loud he points that he is not keeping safe distance and within 5 seconds we heard about THE POPOUT on the radio. But to tell the truth, KALS could’nt have gotten the popout at a better location because of the high altitude and the horizon filled with dunes and the 6 pm sun in the background was just amazing to look at. The pop out was fixed in some time but that almost didn’t happen because pretty much everyone thought that the valve itself is cut but singh was determined that the valve is fine its just the positioning of the tyre itself. So he started jamming a screw driver in there and trying to pull the tyre out and before you know it, the tyre stopped leaking air and just and inflating.

After making the last big climb we continued ahead and drove down the other side, then me and daggerfall got out of the car for a quick check under the bonnet, unknown to the mess that was happening behind us. By the time we came back in the car we were hearing on the radio things like “Kals?? Where are you ??” “this is bu zayed … I don’t know where is the track” “carefull !! there is another convoy here” “I am doing a second try”. We drive back up the big climb from the other side and then one by one everyone climbs up with [mention]Barish[/mention] and [mention]JockJKU[/mention] keeping everyone safe from other convoy.

Picture this…
You are standing on top of a big climb and the horizon in front of you is filled with beautiful golden dunes with the sun beautifully positioned to set after an hour, cars are parked on the top of the climb with ALMOST4x4 flags flapping in the wind… now slowdown the speed of this scene, sloooow it waaaaaaaaay down. read these words sloooowly and imagine everything is in slowmotion now, the flags flapping in slowmo, the wind is blowing in slowmo, everyone is walking and moving in slowmo... just then you see [mention]JockJKU[/mention] in his gorgeous yellow jeep rising from below, climbing its way to the top blowing sand up like a fountain spreading from its tyres and it drives by right next to you. Which is followed by a storming JUGGERNAUT with [mention]Kals[/mention] flooring it, Juggernaut is spinning his tyres in slowmotion and kicking up sand as he climbs up to the top making that heavy, brash… but symphonious music with its exhaust. As they drive by just a few meters from you... everyone is amazed by the sound both of the cars make.

That was my view from the top and just then my cell phone's battery died out... sorry @kals I couldn’t capture that moment for you.

While driving back to badayer shops to pickup Outlaw, daggerfall and I had a long discussion about how the car does play an important role and every car has its strengths and weaknesses but its always the driver that is the most important and who knows his car, who knows how to make his car do what he wants it to do. Just when we were approaching the shops he says to me that your car is capable enough to do intermediate and advance drives and also mentions the names of some of the higher level drivers who have either used or are still using an R50. But just as we stop and I am about to step out he goes “so basically no excuses now”. No pressure…

See you all in the sand
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
Kals
Intermediate
Intermediate

Phoenix wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:06 pm Hey Everyone,

I was the passenger of @Daggerfall and boy was I glad that I was in the lead car. When the marshall's say that they can only pray for whatever is on the other side while going over a dune, it is true to the point.

The convoy started with a few hick ups but then we picked up the pace and it ran smoothly pretty much through out the drive except a few snags, I am not sure but I think @Kals had a pop out grin

We were taking the convoy from one big set of dunes to the other, so we had nice long climbs and drops with the view changing from being a tall set of dunes in front of us to a horizon filled with peacefully beautiful golden dunes… but then daggerfall would sprinkle some technical spots in the drive and would say to me “lets see who survives this bit” and within 20 seconds we would hear “this is xxxxx… I’m doing a second try” or “daggerfall daggerfall… please stop we have a stuck car”

DURING the drive Daggerfall asked me a few times “enjoying??” and all I would say was “A LOT” as I was busy trying to learn as much as I could, after sometime I started replicating his throttle and brake movements by my legs and to my surprise I started anticipating where he would point the nose. I would keep searching and scanning for the “acceptable” routes and daggerfall would point the car there not knowing that I had thought of the same route and making me smile in my head. Just when I would think “ok I think I am ready for 10+” he would sprinkle some technical stuff in the drive and we would get a few stuckups.

I also saw so many of the drivers not being able to keep proper distance, I myself have been a culprit of the same on many occasions as it’s not easy to keep proper distance all the time specially if the guy in front of you is breaking and speeding unexpectedly. Any how we would drive for a few minutes then daggerfall would point out someone not being able to keep proper distance and in a few minutes we would hear from the same guy that he is either stuck or doing a second try.

I started catching and noticing all these things, making mental notes of the do’s and don’ts but nothing can prepare you for the unknown. Every single time we would cross a tall crest, my and daggerfall’s head would rise with our necks stretched up in synchronization and really all we could do was pray.

While doing a big climb daggerfall radios in “ok guys FLOOR IT!!” and we dash straight towards a tall climb, after reaching summit of the climb we snake our way towards right and keep driving in the general direction taking over minor bumps and smaller dunes. I see Bu Zayed on our right followed by KALS and as if Daggerfall was reading my thoughts out loud he points that he is not keeping safe distance and within 5 seconds we heard about THE POPOUT on the radio. But to tell the truth, KALS could’nt have gotten the popout at a better location because of the high altitude and the horizon filled with dunes and the 6 pm sun in the background was just amazing to look at. The pop out was fixed in some time but that almost didn’t happen because pretty much everyone thought that the valve itself is cut but singh was determined that the valve is fine its just the positioning of the tyre itself. So he started jamming a screw driver in there and trying to pull the tyre out and before you know it, the tyre stopped leaking air and just and inflating.

After making the last big climb we continued ahead and drove down the other side, then me and daggerfall got out of the car for a quick check under the bonnet, unknown to the mess that was happening behind us. By the time we came back in the car we were hearing on the radio things like “Kals?? Where are you ??” “this is bu zayed … I don’t know where is the track” “carefull !! there is another convoy here” “I am doing a second try”. We drive back up the big climb from the other side and then one by one everyone climbs up with @Barish and @JockJKU keeping everyone safe from other convoy.

Picture this…
You are standing on top of a big climb and the horizon in front of you is filled with beautiful golden dunes with the sun beautifully positioned to set after an hour, cars are parked on the top of the climb with ALMOST4x4 flags flapping in the wind… now slowdown the speed of this scene, sloooow it waaaaaaaaay down. read these words sloooowly and imagine everything is in slowmotion now, the flags flapping in slowmo, the wind is blowing in slowmo, everyone is walking and moving in slowmo... just then you see @JockJKU in his gorgeous yellow jeep rising from below, climbing its way to the top blowing sand up like a fountain spreading from its tyres and it drives by right next to you. Which is followed by a storming JUGGERNAUT with @Kals flooring it, Juggernaut is spinning his tyres in slowmotion and kicking up sand as he climbs up to the top making that heavy, brash… but symphonious music with its exhaust. As they drive by just a few meters from you... everyone is amazed by the sound both of the cars make.

That was my view from the top and just then my cell phone's battery died out... sorry @kals I couldn’t capture that moment for you.

While driving back to badayer shops to pickup Outlaw, daggerfall and I had a long discussion about how the car does play an important role and every car has its strengths and weaknesses but its always the driver that is the most important and who knows his car, who knows how to make his car do what he wants it to do. Just when we were approaching the shops he says to me that your car is capable enough to do intermediate and advance drives and also mentions the names of some of the higher level drivers who have either used or are still using an R50. But just as we stop and I am about to step out he goes “so basically no excuses now”. No pressure…

See you all in the sand
Wow, that’s deep man and pretty thorough!!! Always a pleasure reading through your trip reports!
Truck driver
Oversized man child
Red GMC aka The Juggernaut killzonesmiley
Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

[mention]Phoenix[/mention] thumbsup nice one :)

presa
Marshal
Marshal

Hey Almosters!

We had a nice drive over AL Badayer Dunes.

I was sweeping the convoy and had a nice view from the long line were almost flags were going up and down over the sand.

I believe everyone did great. There are opportunities to improve on distance, radio communications and technic. There were fresh 10+ who are still getting used to what theirs cars can do, so our Marshall was kind to avoid difficult climbs and was almost no side crest, what is an achievement by itself on this area.

On the technic I saw a constant behavior of slowing down before a climb or difficult area, what is not a good practice since will make all the convoy slow down and will put members from the back side of the convoy in trouble. If you were in a proper distance you wouldn't need to slow down so everyone will keep a smooth pace and there will be much less 2nd tries.

I would like to mention our advance and explorers that did an amazing job when we crossed other convoys keeping everyone safe. When the going get though, the though get going!
Barish
Marshal
Marshal

Why i like Badayer is you can have almost all levels of drive and shift up and down whenever is needed; thats why also always crowded.

It was a long convoy but the momentum was really better than expected from such a long convoy.

Key take aways from his drive are;
1) respond respond respond on the radio, at least acknowledge
2) follow the instructions otherwise you may risk yourself or others
3) dont chg tracks unless you are told
4) obey the radio comms rules otherwise there is just noise on the line and no benefit

I hope the other 2 clubs in the area did not curse me:)

Thanks to [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] for organizing the drive and all the support team of explorer, advanced and intermediates.

Chg might be an age if you dont improve..!

Barish