Late Birds

savate

As usual, great, relaxing drive, but nothing less then a great drive can't be expected by [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] . Thank you for that Marshall. :)

Not even one car get stucked, which I am quite sure is very appreciated by everyone in the convoy, cause the temperature was not really pleasant. And I must say this was my first offroad experience in August,... :) cause, I was always afraid to get sucked, and the car could, maybe, overheat from all that heat! But everything was more then fine

This is the reason why I stayed mainly in the car, and I did not take to much pics, but my wife helped a little with her camera.

here are the results:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/4wheeling ... 3998496880
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 7c6c633309

Till the next time we see each other in the sands,...

Have a nice holidays, nice trip to Sallalah and warm regards,

Igor :)

ps
I hope that someone will share few pics from BBQ session after the drive!? ;)
Phoenix
Crew
Crew

After a lengthy and wearisome time I finally got to catch a drive (seriously the last drive I had before LATE BIRDS was the one early morning Ramadan drive)

Anyways, just as the description said this was a smooth and relaxing drive. There were no stuckups apart from one and every one drove smoothly and the weather cooled down surprisingly low in the evening for the barbecue.

Ones the drive started, the first dune I go over and Outlaw starts to make some noise. I lower the aircon speed to pin point where the noise is coming from and its from the front end. It’s a constant cracking and rattling sound, so by the power of deduction I assume that its either the engine or the radiator fan. So I switched to neutral and revved the engine a bit and to my relief there was no change in the noise. So revving the engine did not had any effect on the noise meant that it was the radiator fan.

I kept the aircon on and continued to drive for another hour when we reached our first road crossing, after which Booy radioed in to stop for a break. So finally I got the chance to open the bonnet and see what was happening and voila!!... the radiator fan was making all that noise. The fan was working perfectly, just the housing itself came loose and was vibrating and shifting back and forth like a scared fish in a tank making that noise. We tried tightening it back with a couple of screws but it just wont stay in one place. So I just continued driving because Outlaw was not overheating, and there was no difference in the performance… not just strong… NISSAN STRONG.

After some time we reached a big drop and when my turn came to go down the drop I passed Agalon who was standing on the edge of the drop to keep an eye on the convoy. Just when I went over the edge he radioed in to say that there is a very weird noise coming from my car and I made one of the most stupid and probably fatal mistake which I will never ever repeat. In the middle of the drop I picked up the radio and replied “its fine, its just singing to me” not realizing that I had slowed down a bit. I don’t want to be in this situation ever again because it took less than a second for Outlaw to turn sideways. Next thing I know Agalon, Ghanem, Booy are yelling over the radio but I cant make out what they are saying because all of them are yelling at the same time. I turn the wheels towards the drop and floor it and Outlaw straightens himself back but then I slam the brakes because I had reached the ground and barely missed a tiny tree by inches on my right. After reaching flat ground I turn around to see my tracks and I had drifted a few meters away from the track that everyone took on the drop. No more radios or sharp comments on climbs and drops. My stupid sense of humor might just get me killed someday.

After this one of the FJ drivers walked towards me and to investigate the noise, he simply uplugged the fan and said “its ok, its not that much of a tough drive anyways”. As we continued to drive I was a bit skeptical so I switched off the aircon and drove with the windows down for the next 10 – 20 minutes and kept checking the temperature gauge because the dunes grew bigger and also we picked up the pace. Outlaw’s willingness to carry on outshined my skepticism, so after some time I just thought to myself SCREW IT!! and rolled windows up with aircon on full blast. Outlaw drove till the end point without any complains, and I got to enjoy an amazing view with delicious food shared with the most fun loving and beautiful people accompanied by classics like Santana, Cheb Khalid and Sting.

Until next time. See you in the sand.
Adventurous League of Mountains, Oceans and Sand Thrills
giorgio
Marshal
Marshal

Late birds,

A 3 convoy event with full participation. The meeting point was flooded with Almost 4x4 flags.
A family gathering indeed that brought old a new members together.

The three group leaders were [mention]Booy[/mention] [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] & [mention]JockJKU[/mention] . I joint [mention]JockJKU[/mention] convoy placed somewhere in the middle of the convoy along with [mention]Defragmantor[/mention] while [mention]raza[/mention] took over as a sweeper and [mention]Barish[/mention] with [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] as florets.

The drive was relaxed the weather fairly warm and the drivers got to enjoy a mild drive with no incidents.

Over all all did well the radio communication was satisfying but most of the drivers could have kept a bigger distance (something that was highlighted several times via the radio) for a better flow.

The convoy navigated flawless through the busy desert ( other car convoys, buggies, road crossing) and completed another drive on time and safely.

The end of the drive found us all gathered on a big circle enjoying the beautiful evening with a extreme BBQ event witch satisfied every belly of the members that resided to stay.

It was nice to catch up with everybody and special with [mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention] which i rarely get to see anymore.

Around 11:30pm the divers continue their adventures with a scheduled trip to Khasab Oman for diving.

I would like to thank all the organizers and participants for the beautiful full of action weekend and looking forward to see you all on the sand soon.
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of the sheep
presa
Marshal
Marshal

Hey Almosters!

We have a drive with mixed levels, starting from Al Badayer Shops to Fossil Rock.

Weather were warm at beginning but windy, so pleasant for this time of the year, starting at 16h30.

There were three convoys: Booy, Daggerfall and Jock.

I was in Daggerfall convoy and we had a great drive, with very few second tries and no stuck!

Driving level were above expected for a mixed level drive and everyone did great!

After the drive, at 19h we sit near fossil rock to chichat and eat BQQ.

Special thanks to BBQ organizers Giogio, Mosh and Phoenix!!! You guys did absolutely great!! Sorry if I miss anyone from BBQ organization grin

The weather, the place and specially the people at the post drive chitchat were so great that I was the last one to leave... at about midnight... If I had prepared myself I would surely sleep over there!

See you next weekend!
Daggerfall
Marshal
Marshal

Hi Almosters,

As promised it was a "relaxing" drive in the afternoon.The drive went smoothly without any issues. The weather was also "perfect" for August and I hope you all enjoyed the scenery at the brakes during the drive.

As mentioned by [mention]presa[/mention] it was a mixed convoy but when I saw them doing well, I decided to have some fun at the big dunes of last part and everybody did great.

Thanks [mention]savate[/mention] for the nice photos.

Thanks to all helped organizing, supported and participated.

Sorry for not staying for the camp but had some last minute changes on the plan.

Until next drive, Take care!

Regards
" I feel the need, the need for Speed " cool

Drives Black FJ " VF-1 Valkyrie " , Mob: 050 725 09 31
Kals
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hey Everyone,

All the trip reports before me summarized the general trend and vibe of hte drive. I was in [mention]Booy[/mention] convoy and overall we had very little second tries and no-one got stuck before. The only sticky situation we faced was parker's Forutnet, although that was quickly resolved with a team effort.

The pace of our convoy was pretty fast, which I loved. It was one fo the few drives where I gotten up to 4 gear and just kept it there for quite some time.

The barbecue session was as welcomed as ever, Girorgio's cooking skills are amazing and definitely something to look forward to after any drive. Many thanks to phoenix as well for the meat, it was delicious.

The funny part was when I was driving back, where the car started whining/howling from the right side, which made me stop by the road to evaluate the problem. Small tip, almost make sure that you remove your flag, as I have forgotten that. Although the problem was not flag related, i deduced later on, through friends and sound origin that I have an issue in my rear wheel bearing, so that needs to get fixed! All in all, the drive was extremely fun and most definitely looking forward to the next drive!
Truck driver
Oversized man child
Red GMC aka The Juggernaut killzonesmiley
Raja
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hello Everyone

this was an amazing drive. for Jock to lead first time and it was good to support him as sweeper along with giorgio and Defrag, we have Shamsi and Barish to watch over by floating with the convoy. everyone in the convoy did very well in this level a few of the second tries as normal.

the weather was good we end up in the sitting area. it was good to see abu jimmy and mosh after long time. thanks for the nice BBQ. it was a good start of this month with 3 convoys and good gathering.

see you all again in the sand
Raja

Nissan Pathfinder
"Force Behind the Forces"
DustnGlory

Another fun afternoon in the desert with the Almost family. A relaxed drive as promised by [mention]Daggerfall[/mention] .

I was in [mention]Booy[/mention] 's convoy with [mention]Agalon[/mention] floating and sweeping, [mention]Gabor[/mention] and [mention]Ghanem[/mention] placed within the convoy. The drive was fast most of the way and we covered some beautiful terrain and picture-worthy landscape. Everyone in the convoy drove well and we had 1 second try and 1 stuck which was quickly resolved. Being at the end of the convoy and at the bottom of a dune I didn't realize something was wrong until I saw [mention]alshamsi_m[/mention] jumping out of his FJ and running. Thankfully everyone made it without any issues.

This was the first time that I've driven down a huge descent and man was it exciting. Although I was in 1st gear towards the end it felt like I was too fast - but I wasn't sure if I should be breaking at that point as I could dig the front tires in... I ended up scooping quite a bit of sand the pebbles with the bumper but other wise everything was fine. Note to self - need to tap the brakes lightly as I reach the end of the descent to control my speed.

The BBQ sit down at the end of the drive was cool. It was good to see [mention]Mo Sh[/mention] and [mention]Abu Jimmy[/mention] joining us. Special mention to [mention]Phoenix[/mention] and [mention]a_parkar[/mention] for arranging the meat and [mention]giorgio[/mention] and [mention]Mo Sh[/mention] for their skills around the fire.

Thanks founder, marshalls, explorer, intermediates and all drivers for the wonderful event. See you in the sand another day...
Jithin AKA Dust'nGlory

Drives an FJ = Silver Surfer =
JockJKU
Club Member
Club Member

Afternoon All!

This was a nice event, with fully mixed convoys not dependent on the number of drives and was intended to be a relaxing drive through to the sitting point in the shadows of Fossil Rock.

I led one of the convoys, and as i said before, we had drivers with 2 drives through to much more experienced guys so the track was right for some and maybe too easy for others - but i think everyone had fun!! Everyone did great and thank you to everyone that supported, it's much appreciated!

The sitting and socializing was amazing after the drive, considering it is August the weather was very kind to us and made it very pleasant to sit, chat and eat!!

Till next time,

Jock
Last edited by JockJKU on Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rooies
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hallo all

Was looking forward to the drive, just want to get in the sand (believe a lot of us share this feeling).

We met at the shops, I was there pretty early but it was not long when people started rolling in. There were other clubs as well & it got very busy very quickly. There were faces I have never seen before, but as usual everybody is chatty.

We had 3 convoys, I was with Jock, the convoys were fairly big but no issues. my radio was being funny & I was constantly wondering if people can here me. I was fairly back in the convoy, but no problem, no & then there was something going on it the front but overall a nice smooth easy drive. We had two tag alongs, Silver Exterra jumped in the convoy & rolled with us till he was taken out by Bu Salem, then later 2 cruisers decided to join, but they did not stay long & left on their own. Close tho the camp site there was a sticky situation, but it was fairly quickly resolved. We all stopped at the campsite, some people stayed & others left.

We had a nice sit down, chatted with some new people which I have never met. Thank you Phoenix for feeding me & the guys that did the cooking, hats off, Giorgio & partner you guys can cook thumbsup .

Once again I was a nice event, thank you to everybody that organized it.

To the people going to Salalah, travel safe, have fun & come back safely.

Till we meet in the sand again, take care.
Rooies
Nobody Gets Left Behind