Desert Gazing - Conquer The Night

giorgio
Marshal
Marshal

That was the last night drive of the Ramadan period and I would say the best out of all.
It was nice to have a drive without the hassle of the dust and poor visibility.
As always the convoys (2) were full of exited members hungry for action.
To most of us it was a wonderful surprise to see our two advanced drivers @jockjku and @Solmaz given the opportunity to lead the two convoys, while the Marshalls were swiping and floating around. After the usual rituals we set off for the drive.
I was assigned on Jock's convoy and I was the third car right after the second lead (Issa).
Starting the drive I felt immediately that Jock"s lead was totally different than what I had experienced with other leaders so far.
The paste was fast but comfortable keeping you engaged and focused. The visibility was great and the sand firm. You can tell that a convoy is running smooth from the radio traffic. For quite some time there was absolute quietness (with the exception of some "clear"). The fast paste that the lead car had set it gave the drivers the signal that we all need to be focused and alert.
But there is no drive that will not be challenging enough for out members ( as always the route designer had included some areas that the convoy will have to get out of its comfort zone and as was expected we all fell into trouble.
We encountered a moderate steep accent that halted almost 70% of the convoy. 2nd and 3rd tries as well as several stucks were in the menu.
Somewhere in the middle of the convoy trying to overcome the obstacle, the second convoy been led by Solmaz caught up with us.
I was not really worrying that they will pass us as I was sure that they will face the same problems that we were facing and I was right.
We manage to successfully pass through the climb and puss forward leaning behind the second convoy.
The rest of the drive was smooth with some very few delays.
We managed to complete our drive and reach to our destination 7min earlier that the scheduled time.
Peter and his passenger as was promised set up a fire and the BBQ was on its way.
Between Peter's and Kaylee's steaks and chops as well as Optimus Briani both convoys were fed to satisfaction.
At around 2 am we all set off back home with half smiles in our faces (at that point we all remembered the reality of having to attend work the very same morning).

I would like to thank the organizer as well as all the supporting team, for the enjoyable drive.

Special thanks to JockJKU for his lead. I personally enjoyed it a lot.

Till next time, see you soon
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of the sheep