4WD Rear Propeller Shaft (Driveshaft) Clunk/Thunk Noise FJ/Prado

cyanide

Hi fellows,

If any owners of prado 150 or FJ facing this scenario "Some 4WD equipped 2007 – 2012 model year FJ Cruiser vehicles may exhibit a clunk/thunk noise from the rear of the vehicle or a “bump-from-behind” sensation just before a stop or whenaccelerating from a stop."as mentioned in TSB (Toyota Service Bulletin) USA

I am facing the same issue with my Prado has any one approached the dealer regarding this issue?
pradodxb

Hello cyanide,

I have my second '09 V6 prado and had this issue in both cars. when you take it in for service, mention it to them and they will suggest two things; 1) they will simply lubricate and grease the propeller shaft 2) if you don't drive much and its been 3 years since your 60K interval service; then they might suggest to change the oils on your differential. remember to change rear, center, front (I'm not sure if the front has a separate diff).

Also a little on the driving style... my personal advice...I noticed that when I use the gear downshifts to slow down while approaching a stop... it helps...I normally shift to 4 or sometimes 3 while approaching a stop and noticed that the thunk or clunk stopped. I had initially doubted by brakes for the sound, but was proved wrong by Toyota service.
cyanide

Well I think it is something wrong with the drive shaft it needs to be replaced and it is covered under warranty, lubrication is a quick fix as I have searched through many forums the Toyota service ppl have order a replacement drive shaft I have the PDF copy from the bulletin, don't know how to attach it here I will copy paste it Toyota says if the noise is there it needs to be replaced, here the dealers will insist to come or regular 5k intervals so they can lubricate it on each service so the customer thinks it is "FIXED" although they get paid for warranty repairs from the principal but it is less than what they earn from each service.
cyanide

Applicability
YEAR(S) MODEL(S) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
2007 – 2012 FJ Cruiser Transmission(s): 5AT
Introduction
Some 4WD equipped 2007 – 2012 model year FJ Cruiser vehicles may exhibit a clunk/thunk
noise from the rear of the vehicle or a “bump-from-behind” sensation just before a stop or when
accelerating from a stop. Improvements have been implemented on the rear propeller shaft
(driveshaft) to reduce this condition. Utilize the following repair procedure to address this condition.
Parts Information
PREVIOUS PART NUMBER CURRENT PART NUMBER PART NAME QTY
37110-35A00 37110-35B00 Propeller Shaft Assembly 1
Warranty Information
OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
370011 R & R Rear Propeller Shaft 0.8 37110-35A00 91 55
APPLICABLE WARRANTY
• This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60
months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
• Warranty application is limited to occurrence of the specified condition described in this
bulletin.
© 2012 Toyota Motor Sales, USA Page 1 of 2T-SB-0046-12 February 23, 2012 Page 2 of 2
4WD Rear Propeller Shaft (Driveshaft) Clunk/Thunk Noise
Repair Procedure
1. Confirm that the condition is the rear propeller shaft (driveshaft) clunk/thunk noise.
A. Test drive the vehicle and confirm the condition.
B. Place the transfer case in 4WD High. Remove the rear propeller shaft (driveshaft) and
test drive the vehicle.
Refer to the Technical Information System (TIS), applicable model year Repair Manual:
• 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011 / 2012 FJ Cruiser:
Drivetrain – Drive Shaft/Propeller Shaft – “Propeller Shaft: Rear Propeller Shaft
Assembly: Removal”
C. Is the clunk/thunk noise eliminated when coming to a stop and/or when accelerating from a
stop?
• YES — Replace the rear propeller shaft (driveshaft) assembly. Go to step 2.
• NO — This TSB does NOT apply. Continue diagnosis to isolate the cause of the
condition.
2. Install the NEW propeller shaft (driveshaft) assembly.
Refer to TIS, applicable model year Repair Manual:
• 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011 / 2012 FJ Cruiser:
Drivetrain – Drive Shaft/Propeller Shaft – “Propeller Shaft: Rear Propeller Shaft Assembly:
Installation”
3. Test drive and confirm that NO abnormal vibrations or shudders occur while driving, and that
the propeller shaft (driveshaft) clunk/thunk noise is eliminated.
cyanide

What this suggests they have to put the vehicle in 4H and remove the rear drive shaft and then check if the sound is still there not lubricate, if after disconnecting the rear drive shaft there is no noise then the drive shaft is faulty it has to be replaced not lubricated. I am not very technically sound but this is what it suggests.
cyanide

[quote=pradodxb;33645]Hello cyanide,

Also a little on the driving style... my personal advice...I noticed that when I use the gear downshifts to slow down while approaching a stop... it helps...I normally shift to 4 or sometimes 3 while approaching a stop and noticed that the thunk or clunk stopped. I had initially doubted by brakes for the sound, but was proved wrong by Toyota service.[/quote]

While slowing down using gears in automatic is helpful when coming downhill in normal conditions it is not necessary. May be it can affect transmission performance in future