Nissan Pathfinder R50 Front Recovery

abdullah1234
Club Member
Club Member

Hello All,
I was browsing over the forum and saw that many have nissan pathfinder R50 in here, I have a nissan pathfinder R50 2003. I used to drive in desert with diff group until I got stuck and realized that the front recovery points are so small that The Bow shakle cannot go inside them to my suprise The passanger side recovery point is smaller than the drivers side recovery point. So I had to use the rear recovery points. After that I started looking for Smaller bow shakle but I couldn't really find to fit the excat thing as the smaller I go the less weight It can carry..

I purchased a chain link from ACE which can handle 3300 Lbs [ATTACH=CONFIG]2919[/ATTACH] and have inserted in my front drivers side recovery point.

I have seen something like this in ACE for 150 Dhs per pc [ATTACH=CONFIG]2920[/ATTACH]

Question I have now is,
1) Did anyone modify their recovery points ?
2) Is it worth buying the recovery point from ACE ?
3) Can anyone advise if there is any other solution for front recovery points. ?

Regards
dLemma
Intermediate
Intermediate

abdullah1234;46792 wrote:
I purchased a chain link from ACE which can handle 3300 Lbs [ATTACH=CONFIG]2919[/ATTACH] and have inserted in my front drivers side recovery point.
Hi Abdullah,
for your safety and the safety of who will rescue you, forget this chain link.
3300Lbs is way too low. Your car weight is already exceeding that weight, and during a pull, especially when you're stuck, the load will be much higher than your car weight.

Consider going for at least 2.5 times the weight of your car. I would not recommend adding a chain link to the recovery point, I'd rather replace the recovery point with something bigger than can directly fit the shackle and/or the snatch strap. And make sure that the recovery point is 1) rated and 2) rated for your car.

The reason why we have to carry a rated hook is for recovering vehicles whose recovery points might not be big enough to fit a shackle :)
abdullah1234;46792 wrote: I have seen something like this in ACE for 150 Dhs per pc [ATTACH=CONFIG]2920[/ATTACH]
This type of recovery point would be ok (although I would remove the locking clip). However I have same observations as above: is it rated? Is it rated for your car? Have you checked your car to verify if this would fit your mounting points?

Let also check with the other owners of Pathfinder to see what they are using and if they have done any replacement/modification.
We are such a big group that someone will likely have the answer :)
abdullah1234
Club Member
Club Member

Dear Dlemma,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have seen it is rated as far as I remember it was 10000 LBS ( If I am not wrong). About fixing it I read someone they have used 10mm thick plate to weld it to the chasis of the car. but I am sure I can get that answer once I buy it and take to any Iron turning shop which will be able to guide me.

and yeah lets wait what others have to say,

Regards,
caprihorse
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you look into R50 Owner's Manual, section 6-16, Nissan recommends to use only in front RH towing point and never both rear points, as they are very soft. The solution for the rear is to have fabricated towing bar with the hook, which fits in the holes on rear chassis (yes, they are there). For me, i got it from Icon and it served well all the time. Welding on chassis is not allowed and also it is very dangerous. I saw several times flying in the air iron towing hooks, it's like a cannon shot.